Danny Elfman's SLEEPY HOLLOW (1999) - 2021 4-CD Expanded Edition from Intrada Records

Jay

No samples for me either - for those of us that want to hear the unreleased tracks from the main score, they didn't choose a very inspiring selection of tracks.

The Elfman box feels like it was an attempt to expand the score slightly in a 'plays well' manner, but as this set indicates, it didn't come close to doing it properly.

They decided to use the OSTs and include “bonus tracks” to the point that a single disc was full - except Nightmare, which went chrono+complete-ish.  Seems like it’s Elfman’s preference, as he has done this with quite a few OSTs since as well (Alice 2, Justice League, Dumbo, etc.) and most expansions that have come out lately (someone listed them above) do the same thing.

I love a package that is so definitive that I can yeet all my other releases.  I’ve already done it with Sleepy Hollow because the Burton box includes the OST program, but I’m glad Elfman has the preference in general.

I'm largely apathetical towards the inclusion of the OST, but what it does do is remove any concern about whether a particular mix or version heard on the original album is found within the alternates.

I'd expect that my resultant playlist will be the complete score, then perhaps four or five alternates or OST tracks, plus the first party source track.

I'd expect that I'll spend hours agonising over which versions to pick for my main program. Maybe I'll make two!

19 hours ago, Holko said:

I'd expect that I'll spend hours agonising over which versions to pick for my main program. Maybe I'll make two!

Well, looking through the track list it looks like there are three programmes to choose from on this set already. The chronological presentation of the alternates certainly will play almost like a different version... If you ignore several versions of cues in some cases it's almost as that BTTF situation. 

I gave the original album a listen last night. In all fairness, it is a very solid and respectable presentation. Wouldn't take it against anyone if they decided it was enough for them. 

As for me, it is a classic. I knew who Danny Elfman was and could hum music from various earlier movies. But this was my first album of his and as such holds a very special place in my heart. And even 22 years later I still think it is one of his best. 

Karol

This is a pretty heavy score.  For me it’ll be a decision of “is the film program too much?”  If so, I’ll just stick to the OST for a routine listen.  I suspect like in most releases, the alternates won’t be anything I regularly revisit.

15 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Well, looking through the track list it looks like there are three programmes to choose from on this set already.

Oh after rewatching the movie I'm sure I'll do all kinds of things like lift some alternate of the horseman theme to put near the end prominently and such.

Btw, why is Intrada so averse to calling film versions (film version)?

13 minutes ago, mstrox said:

This is a pretty heavy score.  For me it’ll be a decision of “is the film program too much?”  If so, I’ll just stick to the OST for a routine listen.  I suspect like in most releases, the alternates won’t be anything I regularly revisit.

For me, they tend to be just curiosities. Unless, of course, you have your alternate Binary Sunsets and Fortresses of Solitude. 

Karol

Just now, blondheim said:

Call it whatever you want if you give me detailed liner notes.

Ooh, that's another thing, I hope they'll follow their regular practice of including a cue list with recording dates, slates and original names!

34 minutes ago, mstrox said:

If someone is just a casual fan of the score, the OST is likely enough. As I've suggested before, there's nothing massively crucial missing from it.

I find the OST lacking only because I know the film, and score within it, well, and hence the gaps stand out to me.

2 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

I had to disable the battery myself because my cat learned that if he stepped on the top the music would start and wake us up early in the morning to feed him. Too many early mornings being awoken by that damn Pee Wee music!

LOL!

This is the most excited I have been for a release in a long time. I want to listen to the OST so badly but I am holding out until this release gets here. Idk if I have been this anxious since JW in Vienna

Mine's left the States already :o

I'm mega excited about this - I've been listening again to the OST and reminded of how evocative this score is. I've been waiting more than 20 years to hear this one complete :lovethis:

On 7/26/2021 at 7:43 PM, Edmilson said:

I think Hook is a fine score, but The Patriot is my priority. I've been dying to hear it complete and chronological for years!

So I have been thinking about dragging this out and I figured since you were such a Patriot fan, I'd ask you: which tracks would you recommend I listen to if I didn't want to listen to the full album but you wanted to sell the hell out of it, to me or anyone else?

49 minutes ago, blondheim said:

So I have been thinking about dragging this out and I figured since you were such a Patriot fan, I'd ask you: which tracks would you recommend I listen to if I didn't want to listen to the full album but you wanted to sell the hell out of it, to me or anyone else?

Sure! Here's some of my favorites:

There's the suite, of course, which offers a pretty good summary  of the score:

Then there's the cue that opens the movie. It's one of my favorite "openings" in a movie thanks to JW's beautiful score:

It's a pretty diverse score, with some romantic music for Ann and Gabriel:

And more emotional material for the family (Morricone fans will love this cue):

But there's also tragedy:

And also a lot of action:

Including some of my favorite action writing ever by Williams. The Ludlow motif from Lost World returns at 2:00 of the track below and its glorious :w00t:

This one is also amazing:

The epilogue ends the movie in a high, uplifting note:

Overall, although the OST is a decent listening experience, there's still some unreleased material that I'd love to hear.

On 7/28/2021 at 9:50 PM, Koray Savas said:

I’m in the process of moving and was looking at mine sitting on the shelf falling apart as well. :lol:

I had to disable the battery myself because my cat learned that if he stepped on the top the music would start and wake us up early in the morning to feed him. Too many early mornings being awoken by that damn Pee Wee music!

oh I forgot it had that music playback option!! Im sure my battery is also dead by now but where was the hidden button??

They have two covers ready. Why the hell would they pick the worse one? Why? Why? Why?

The new cover is superior in every way. Plus we already have the old cover. Why they wouldn't want to differentiate their product is beyond me. It has to be the studios that choose. I'm figuring out a way to switch it out, idc

31 minutes ago, blondheim said:

The new cover is superior in every way. Plus we already have the old cover. Why they wouldn't want to differentiate their product is beyond me. It has to be the studios that choose. I'm figuring out a way to switch it out, idc

They did it for War of the Worlds too...

2 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

How does that change what I said?

Because my reason for not liking the cover has nothing to do with my digital library. I like to lean an LP back or display the CD when I listen to it. I can always just lean the booklet over top but for OCD reasons I would obviously rather it just come the other way.

That cover is vastly superior to the one with Depp's and Ricci's face. I assume it was a contractual obligation or something, but still a bit disappointing.

Same with that alternate WOTW cover being vastly more interesting than the actual cover.

And yeah, that OST cover for The Patriot is easily one of the worst OST covers in JW's library. Assuming Intrada handle that score in the future, I'll be disappointed if they retain it.

I agree that the alternate WotW cover is better, but I prefer the Depp/Ricci cover in this case, with the credits more tidily placed than the OST.

But then I don't display my CDs, or even really look at them once ripped. I mean, I think the cover for the Matrix complete set is really ugly, but it sounds fantastic, and I just used the DE cover. I don't like any of the covers for either of the Mummy scores, but I care far more about their audio shortcomings.

13 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

with the credits more tidily placed than the OST.

You mean the one where white text is on top of her messy bright hair? To me the title and credits seem to be the same overlay, except on one cover they have a proper background to be read against.

Man. What a stellar set. I enjoyed the OST. And I’m sure this sheds more light on a great gothic/horror score by Elfman.

On a semi-related note, for those of you who purchased the Burton/Elfman box set, was it worth it? I love the idea of such a collection. But that darn zoetrope thingy added another $200-$300 to the set. And to purchase it today requires a small loan to be taken out:/ 

11 minutes ago, WampaRat said:

Man. What a stellar set. I enjoyed the OST. And I’m sure this sheds more light on a great gothic/horror score by Elfman.

On a semi-related note, for those of you who purchased the Burton/Elfman box set, was it worth it? I love the idea of such a collection. But that darn zoetrope thingy added another $200-$300 to the set. And to purchase it today requires a small loan to be taken out:/ 

At the time, yes.  Caveat there that I got it while it was still in print and actually for a decent amount less than retail.

The music is great, as you know.  The book is comprehensive.  The DVD is fluff, only in the sense that it’s verbatim interview stuff used in the book, only less (and due to what I’m assuming are licensing issues, does not use movie clips or music).  The box is shitty and increased the value unnecessarily.

It includes what is likely to be the only expansion of Alice in Wonderland, Corpse Bride, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

No music release is worth the prices it’s going for now, and even the retail price was borderline.

On 7/31/2021 at 2:18 PM, blondheim said:

Because my reason for not liking the cover has nothing to do with my digital library. I like to lean an LP back or display the CD when I listen to it. I can always just lean the booklet over top but for OCD reasons I would obviously rather it just come the other way.

You just continually stare at the album cover while listening to music? ;) 

Man oh man. From other accounts it sounds like they could have just  streamlined the packaging with the book containing all the CDs. 

I REALLY just wanted to hear the expanded Big Fish out of all those bells and whistles. But I ain’t paying $1,000 just to hear that lol.

5 hours ago, mcnab said:

Cover art and shipping details aside - For those of you who have received the set, how does it sound? 

On the FSM post Roger Feigelson has given some background info on the sound mix. Basically the Film Score Program and alternates follow a remastered neutral sound whereas the OST has the same mix as before.

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=144642&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=1&r=698#bottom

Mine is agonizingly sitting at the local post office right now, but wasn't delivered today, I assume due to Royal Mail's current 'problems' (they're struggling to do daily deliveries at the moment). I was ecstatic when I saw the tracking update first thing this morning, then slowly realised during late morning that it wasn't coming...

Better be here tomorrow.... :eh:

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Bring it with you

Might take the booklet with me. The CDs are being ripped onto my hard drive as we type. :)

Not sure if I get to listen to it tonight as there is plenty to do.

Karol