Danny Elfman's SLEEPY HOLLOW (1999) - 2021 4-CD Expanded Edition from Intrada Records

Jay

Such a great score and it sounds completely different on the new set. Funnily enough, you can hear quite a lot of room noise on the film recording, creaking and such. I could definitely hear someone coughing on Murder.

Karol

15 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Such a great score and it sounds completely different on the new set. Funnily enough, you can hear quite a lot of room noise on the film recording, creaking and such. I could definitely hear someone coughing on Murder.

Karol

I don't know if I'm in a minority here or not but I always appreciate being able to hear a bit of room noise :)

15 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Karol

The original OST sounded a bit muddy to me. I hope the that’s not the case in the film score program?

14 minutes ago, Amer said:

The original OST sounded a bit muddy to me. I hope the that’s not the case in the film score program?

No, it is a much gentler sound. The OST was very heavy and overbearing. 

14 minutes ago, Alan said:

I don't know if I'm in a minority here or not but I always appreciate being able to hear a bit of room noise :)

It works for this old fashioned film, definitely. 

Karol

5 minutes ago, crocodile said:

No, it is a much gentler sound. The OST was very heavy and overbearing. 

Very promising.  I haven’t listened yet, but I was concerned that anything longer would be oppressive.  Of course, that was a concern for me with his Planet of the Apes, and that score vastly improved with an expansion.

Awesome!  I can't wait to hear this one.

I will order it direct from Intrada with Eiger

Read the liner notes today. Very good read and features new quotes from Elfman. It appears he seems to be very proud of this score and the concert suite is his favourite piece from the Burton/Elfman concert series. 

Karol

It has arrived :dance:

I see what you mean about sounding like a re-recording - I knew the film sounded a lot 'looser' in places, but this is pretty striking, and it sounds great.

And the ending of the Main Titles has the dark brass buildup that matches the film, yay! That was literally the single piece I had ripped from the DVD, and now we finally have it properly :D (the choir as he enters the village is a bit different, but I can live with that)

Sounds like a lot of the more romantic Ichabod/Katina material (has a Spidey vibe) was left off the album, as well as the start and end section of a lot of cues. I haven't seen the film in a long time, and it's noticeable.

Even just taking the main program into account, the Elfman box was really just a few iTunes bonus tracks in comparison.

I've kept a whopping 50 minutes of alternates/album versions - that's got to be a record for any expansion.

Someone on FSM suggested that in a way you get 3 scores in this package, and I unexpectedly decided to do exactly that.

Thing is, the instrumentation, mixing and editing differences between the album, score, and alternates, is all over the place and I also have a rather nostalgic attachment to the album.

Hence I decided to solve it in the same way I solved Jurassic Park - I've made 3 albums - the 1999 OST, the score, and a 50-minute 'alternates' album. Also solves what to do with Intrada's two covers - I gave the 'alternates' album the horseman cover.

I'm absolute ecstatic that this score got this sort of treatment, and ignoring the odd point in the film where Burton clearly fiddled with instrumental/vocal layers (and you have to expect those), you couldn't possibly ask for a more comprehensive release, and it all sounds great. You have no idea how long I've wanted the snippet on disc 2, track 2, 4:45 to end, on disc wthout sfx, and there are now several other cues I didn't know I wanted (such as The Will).

Pleasantly surprised to receive my copy this morning. Last tracking info I received was the set arriving at Heathrow yesterday so I didn't expect to have it until Monday or Tuesday at the earliest.

Listened to the film presentation of this and I can say this is a great discovery! The sound is indeed pretty cool and I'm pretty much happy with what Intrada has done on this.

However, I noticed a pretty annoying technical issue on this release: every track has a forced 0.02s plain silence section at the beginning. While this might sound normal and very minor, the listening experience on disc 1 is definitely affected.

The 1999 OST was mastered gaplessly, which basically means that you can sometimes hear the ending of the previous track in the beginning of the next one (or the opening of the next track at the end of previous one). For this release, the 1999 album master was used, meaning that the new CD is also gapless.

Consequently, the added silence makes the transitions of some tracks very jarring, and this is frustrating because the 1999 OST transitions are fine.

Here are two little examples of how it sounds like.

Transition between The Church Battle (T13) and Love Lost (T14):

Transition between The Final Confrontation (T17) and A New Day! (T18):

I don't see any reason to add this little silence at the beginning of each track, this just shouldn't have been done.

I might post this on the Intrada forum so we might get an explanation...

20 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Consequently, the added silence makes the transitions of some tracks very jarring, and this is frustrating because the 1999 OST transitions are fine.

That's quite unfortunate. Let's hope Intrada fixes this issue for future pressings.

27 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Listened to the film presentation of this and I can say this is a great discovery! The sound is indeed pretty cool and I'm pretty much happy with what Intrada has done on this.

However, I noticed a pretty annoying technical issue on this release: every track has a forced 0.02s plain silence section. While this might sound normal and very minor, the listening experience on disc 1 is definitely affected.

The 1999 OST was mastered gaplessly, which basically means that you can sometimes hear the ending of the previous track in the beginning of the next one (or the opening of the next track at the end of previous one). For this release, the 1999 album master was used and the track splittings have been fixed (in the old album, some cues would start before the new track had even begun). However, it remains a gapless album and the cues are still crossfaded on this new release. 

I don't see any reason to add this little silence at the beginning of each track, this just shouldn't have been done.

I think EAC allow you to encode gapless tracks by completely removing gaps between two tracks, have you tried?

2 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I think EAC allow you to encode gapless tracks by removing completely the silence between them, have you tried?

The gaps are inside the tracks as ripped, 0.2 seconds in.

Just now, Bespin said:

I think EAC allow you to encode gapless tracks by removing completely the silence between them, have you tried?

Yeah this is not a ripping issue, the rip I have matches other rips found on the CueTools database. And this is not the usual 2 seconds gap you can sometimes get between tracks, this one is much smaller.

5 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

It's very clear on The Chase and A New Day. That's a bit unfortunate, although I assume it's just the same content as the original album.

No the original album has correct transitions, the silences can be found on this new release only. They are even on every track of the other discs but it is just not noticeable by ear, you can notice them on the waveforms though.

6 minutes ago, Bespin said:

But EAC have options to the remove silence gaps before or after a track, did you tried them?

No, but even if that would work, there would still be an issue: these incorrect transitions can be heard by putting the CD into a regular CD player...

1 hour ago, Chewy said:

No the original album has correct transitions, the silences can be found on this new release only. They are even on every track of the other discs but it is just not noticeable by ear, you can notice them on the waveforms though.

Oh, I meant that I assume the musical content is the same, i.e. they've just somehow taken the existing master and introduced the silence. I know the original album has proper gapless - I'll just use that instead.

This release also has some digital ticks/pops, presumably inherent to the recording.

Disc 3 Track 2:

image.png

A bit frustrating again because the overall sound of the new release is pretty good and those things can easily be fixed.

EDIT: other ticks I initially mentioned were caused by ripping issues. 

5 hours ago, Chewy said:

However, I noticed a pretty annoying technical issue on this release: every track has a forced 0.02s plain silence section. While this might sound normal and very minor, the listening experience on disc 1 is definitely affected.

The 1999 OST was mastered gaplessly, which basically means that you can sometimes hear the ending of the previous track in the beginning of the next one (or the opening of the next track at the end of previous one). For this release, the 1999 album master was used and the track splittings have been fixed (in the old album, some cues would start before the new track had even begun). However, it remains a gapless album and the cues are still crossfaded on this new release. 

Clearly a technical issue. In no way could this be a legit editorial decision.

Roger just said here:

Thanks. We fixed all the gaps where it interrupts the assembly. Not sure it's really worth it to fix the ones between tracks. Most people don't seem to notice. So we'll repress Disc 1 and make available to anyone who needs it.

1 minute ago, blondheim said:

I knew about the ones between the gapless tracks in the OST on Disc 1 but what/where are the other gaps he is referring to?

Gaps between non gapless tracks I assume...