Tanglewood 2021 season includes several Williams concerts

Miguel Andrade

5 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

@Smeltington @Jay @rpvee What about the Overture to the Oscars?

Never heard it before. But he absolutely wrote it. Similar sounding to the fanfares he wrote for the Pops in the 80's. It was nice though.

5 hours ago, crumbs said:

I know Mike mentioned in the Eiger podcast that the plan was to start Indy 5 after returning from Berlin, but that seems unlikely with production resuming from October through December.

That's not what Mike said in the podcast. He said the plan was to score Indy 5 after Carnegie Hall

Since Spielberg will be done shooting Fabelmans before Mangold is done shooting Indy 5, I could see JW finish recording Fabelmans before Carnegie Hall, then starting Indy 5 after Carnegie Hall, but I suppose it all depends what part of 2022 The Fabelmans is releasing in. 

I could also see a world where Spielberg whips through post production of The Fabelmans at super speed to get it out as a 2021 Oscar contender. 

Yeah. Overture to the Oscars sounded familiar? But I don’t know if it’s just because it sounded very Williams. It didn’t sound like he just wrote it this past year.  I’m surprised nobody has recognized it yet.

Then he just didn’t talk about it at all and went straight on to the olympics music. Not even a mention. 

17 minutes ago, Jay said:

That's not what Mike said in the podcast. He said the plan was to score Indy 5 after Carnegie Hall

Since Spielberg will be done shooting Fabelmans before Mangold is done shooting Indy 5, I could see JW finish recording Fabelmans before Carnegie Hall, then starting Indy 5 after Carnegie Hall, but I suppose it all depends what part of 2022 The Fabelmans is releasing in. 

Oh you're totally right, I confused Carnegie Hall with Berlin.

Surely that's only for the recording sessions though? There's not enough time for JW to write and record an Indy score before mid-July if he only starts writing in late April.

Thanks to Ford's injury, it does seem increasingly likely he will write and record Fabelmans before the year is out, then move onto Indy 5 after shooting wraps in December. Interesting turn of events, but I'll just be thrilled if he manages to score both films.

6 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

@Smeltington @Jay @rpvee What about the Overture to the Oscars?

I didn't recognize it, but it was nice! 

8 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Surely that's only for the recording sessions though? There's not enough time for JW to write and record an Indy score before mid-July if he only starts writing in late April.

Yea, good point, he'll probably have a rough cut of the film at his house before Carnegie Hall. But I don't think he'd do any serious writing for it until his Fabelmans duties are over. 

Once again, Spielberg has a film abutting a Star Wars/Potter/Indy type film... 

Yea, good point, he'll probably have a rough cut of the film at his house before Carnegie Hall. But I don't think he'd do any serious writing for it until his Fabelmans duties are over. 

Wild speculation but I wouldn't be surprised if Mangold handed JW a few standalone sequences to start scoring over the next few months, while filming is postponed. They'll be looking for ways to bring forward post production, instead of sitting on their hands.

The

Spoiler

action-heavy parade sequence in Glasgow/New York

seems a good candidate. Makes sense to hand JW one of the bigger action sequences to start working on now, in the same way VFX-heavy sequences are usually shot first to give ILM more time to work on the effects.

Once again, Spielberg has a film abutting a Star Wars/Potter/Indy type film... 

Heh, well ordinarily an Indy film wouldn't be conflict with a Spielberg film :P

I'm happy to see him working with other directors though. You never know when the next Azkaban might come along.

Back on the concert -- did anyone notice cameras or microphones that might have been recording the event? By all accounts, it seems JW was in fine form. Hopefully it gets broadcast in some form eventually.

6 minutes ago, Steve said:

I found this on YouTube from the concert last night.

Always SW with these videos.  Give me the Overture or Give Me Death.  

On second thought, I guess I am okay with the other videos as well.  

I was checking the CRB stream and site throughout yesterday, but they do not seem to broadcast the Friday concerts. This was true in the past too, so I guess no change even with COVID. I think the only video concerts are the Saturday and Monday ones that end up live and then are sometimes shared a week later for a few weeks. The July 24 concert was not shared after the fact though. 

I suspect every concert is recorded that happens at Tanglewood (and Symphony Hall). But just for the reference of the BSO/Pops.

There is a small hope, but it's hard to catch them, that the WCRB rebroadcasts it at some point in the future. I have caught past concerts even a year later. 

I foresee the BSO moving to extend BSO Now as the Berlin Phil has done with the Digital Concert Hall. Doesn't help us today though!

So glad for everyone who got to attend and enjoy. What a treat!

It's great to hear those good news about JW !

Curious about the overture. I guess there is no relation with the upcoming fanfare for the Hollywood Bowl that was anounced last year..? 

45 minutes ago, Will said:

Good news -- it appears that WCRB will be broadcasting this concert on August 29 at 7 p.m. Eastern Time!! 

Reveal hidden contents

https://www.classicalwcrb.org/show/the-boston-symphony-orchestra/2021-08-13/film-night-with-the-pops-and-john-williams-2021 

So excited to hear this new overture!

Fantastic news!

I really should have snuck a recording of it. It really didn't feel like something from this decade of Williams, but it was SO him. A really easy listen.

Even googled the title the night before the concert and nothing came up. 

Would he really forget to mention that it's a brand new piece? 

Idle speculation: the overture came from the process of writing the Hollywood Bowl fanfare.  He came up with an idea for a theme but decided to go in a different direction for the latter. But he like the former version enough to make a full piece out of it.  

Funny that there was nothing at all about it in the program either. Not that there would be but sometimes when he does stuff like "Hymn for New England"(which he changed the name), it was mentioned at least for a sentence or two in the program.

1 hour ago, TownerFan said:

Perhaps it was composed for the 2002 Academy Awards ceremony where he was music director, but then he or the producers decided to use that section from American Journey instead? Very curious to know more about this one!

I like this theory.

On 8/16/2021 at 7:17 AM, SilverTrumpet said:

Maybe I'm just a classical music snob but this sort of thing really bothers me during a concert and I wish they'd say something during something like film night where they know the crowd is much different than almost every other Tanglewood or classical concert crowd. Teach people a little concert etiquette.

On 8/14/2021 at 11:36 PM, Will said:

Good news -- it appears that WCRB will be broadcasting this concert on August 29 at 7 p.m. Eastern Time!! 

Reveal hidden contents

https://www.classicalwcrb.org/show/the-boston-symphony-orchestra/2021-08-13/film-night-with-the-pops-and-john-williams-2021 

So excited to hear this new overture!

Sweet! Can’t wait to listen! Overture to the Oscars, a new piece by the Maestro? AWESOME!

9 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

August 29 at 7 p.m. Eastern Time!!

Sweet indeed.

Trouble is: I will be returning from an open air screening of "Cinema Paradiso" 250 km away, with the gorgeous music of Ennio Morricone and his son Andrea around 2am at the earliest. Around here the broadcast will start at 1am; and next morning will be Monday. /o\