Tanglewood 2021 season includes several Williams concerts

Miguel Andrade

On 8/16/2021 at 9:37 AM, Tom said:

If you only knew how often this exact reference gets made in my family on a myriad of topics.  Frasier will never be topped.

Not that anything is more important than acknowledging a Frasier reference, but...

1.) Overture to the Oscars is great!  It doesn't reach the commanding heights of catchiness of much of his previous pops concert music, but it just brims with movie magic and glitz.  I love the sound of the opening!

2.) Can any old peon listen to the Sunday broadcast online, or is this geographically limited?

TFA doesn't have one long suite track though like those others, just a unusually high number of normal length selections

51 minutes ago, Jay said:

@Ricard why does the main page article indicate that Men of Yorktown March was played?

Probably copied from the upcoming broadcast program that will likely include selections from the Lockhart album.

28 minutes ago, Jay said:

TFA doesn't have one long suite track though like those others, just a unusually high number of normal length selections

What about The Jedi Steps and Finale?

I guess I don't think of that as a concert-only suite (like the War Horse, Book Thief, and BFG ones) because it's almost the same as the film/album version

17 hours ago, Jay said:

Fabulous images I know you’ll agree, put together by Susan Dangle of WGBH Boston, and it’s quite a... they chose so many treasured faces, there’s a shot in there of Kobe Bryant and it all looks so beautiful. When you watch this I think you’ll enjoy it.  Olympics.”

Beautiful summary!

It was really touching JW singled out Bryant like this. 

Listening to the broadcast of this night now

https://www.classicalwcrb.org/show/the-boston-symphony-orchestra/2021-08-13/film-night-with-the-pops-and-john-williams-2021

I got home while they were playing the Men of Yorktown from the Lights Camera Music CD.  After that, the announcer just pretended like the audience had to retake their seats after an intermission, only to be presented by Keith Lockhart introducing John Williams, and then there was a very short amount of applause before Overture for the Oscars started.

This isn't how it went down.

Keith Lockhart said all that right after Casablanca, and Williams came out to a nice beefy applause that lasted a bit before he quieted things to start the second half.  There was no intermission.

Oof, the announcer just messed up again.  After Olympic Fanfare and Theme, he talked about how the Bops recorded that during lockdowns in their own homes and it got mixed together and released... but they didn't do that for this piece.  They did that for Summon The Heroes

I swear, "Throne Room" arrangements are my Everest when it comes to all things Williams, and I'm confused again.  This seemed like a version that went through all the concert paces—e.g., the moment when everyone stops and we get a misterioso solo oboe version of the Force theme—before going into the End Title.  That certainly doesn't happen in the film version, and the Special Edition soundtrack has been my go-to version of this cue forever.  Is there a released version somewhere that corresponds exactly to the version they played on this broadcast?

Now that I think about it, maybe Lucas can go back in and add a shot of Chewie pining for a medal, and Williams can score it with that oboe line...

8 minutes ago, igger6 said:

I swear, "Throne Room" arrangements are my Everest when it comes to all things Williams, and I'm confused again.  This seemed like a version that went through all the concert paces—e.g., the moment when everyone stops and we get a misterioso solo oboe version of the Force theme—before going into the End Title.  That certainly doesn't happen in the film version, and the Special Edition soundtrack has been my go-to version of this cue forever.  Is there a released version somewhere that corresponds exactly to the version they played on this broadcast?

Now that I think about it, maybe Lucas can go back in and add a shot of Chewie pining for a medal, and Williams can score it with that oboe line...

This was the extended concert version that has been around since Williams prepared the Star Wars suite in 1977.  It's been recorded MANY times... by Mehta, Gerhardt, Kunzel, Dudamel, and JW himself, among several others.

50 minutes ago, Jay said:

Listening to the broadcast of this night now

https://www.classicalwcrb.org/show/the-boston-symphony-orchestra/2021-08-13/film-night-with-the-pops-and-john-williams-2021

I got home while they were playing the Men of Yorktown from the Lights Camera Music CD.  After that, the announcer just pretended like the audience had to retake their seats after an intermission, only to be presented by Keith Lockhart introducing John Williams, and then there was a very short amount of applause before Overture for the Oscars started.

This isn't how it went down.

Keith Lockhart said all that right after Casablanca, and Williams came out to a nice beefy applause that lasted a bit before he quieted things to start the second half.  There was no intermission.

Oof, the announcer just messed up again.  After Olympic Fanfare and Theme, he talked about how the Bops recorded that during lockdowns in their own homes and it got mixed together and released... but they didn't do that for this piece.  They did that for Summon The Heroes

This particular announcer has been doing this kind of errors since forever... for a while he kept saying that Williams first film score was Sugarland Express. And this went for a few seasons, whenever they were playing some excerpts for Spielberg films.

1 hour ago, igger6 said:

Check this out :

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/34063-what-are-the-definitive-recordings-of-jws-star-wars-concert-pieces/&do=findComment&comment=1829927

This came up here after the broadcast:

2021-0829-tanglewood.png

Not sure if or where this info will be available after today. So just in case, here are the links:

Hooray for Hollywood ArkivMusic iTunes

Suite from Lawrence of Arabia ArkivMusic iTunes

Excerpts from An American in Paris ArkivMusic iTunes

Not that the links work (yet?), as far as I can tell…

7 hours ago, Pellaeon said:

This came up here after the broadcast:

2021-0829-tanglewood.png

Not sure if or where this info will be available after today. So just in case, here are the links:

Hooray for Hollywood ArkivMusic iTunes

Suite from Lawrence of Arabia ArkivMusic iTunes

Excerpts from An American in Paris ArkivMusic iTunes

Not that the links work (yet?), as far as I can tell…

That's not a link to buy the live recording, but a recording of the piece. CRB has worked that way for ages with their playlists.

8 hours ago, crumbs said:

The concert is now available on demand on their website, though only a low-res 192kb/s MP3. You can right click and download here.

Wonder if the livestream had a higher bitrate? Can anyone with recordings compare?

Haven't had the time to compare, but by experience, the live stream is usually better.

I have usually said the Brass is lacking in performances of Imperial March by Boston Pops in the past, they proved me wrong with that performance! :love2: BRAVO! 

It's just a shame the strings are so quiet (likely too far from the mics). 

A few timing issues, but the feeling was fantastic. 

My thoughts after listening to a bunch of the radio broadcast last night, is that this is a poor recording of this concert.

Things sound a bit tinny and distant in this recording, when in person everything sounded amazing.  For example, just listening to "Olympic Fanfare and Theme" performed by the Pops and conducted by Williams on the "By Request" CD sounds more like what I experienced at this concert, than last night's broadcast of this concert.

He made some changes to Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra again, right? 
1. OST Version

2. Williams Spielberg Collaboration

3. Gustavo Dudemel "Celebrating John Williams" CD and concerts 

4. This new one?

Did the announcer say that the Olympic Fanfare was recorded individually by the players during the lockdown?  Or did he say correctly that it was Summon the Heroes.  I remember the Lockhart concert of Williams’ music earlier this year had some errors in the commentary, too. 

Highlight for me was The BFG suite and A great sweeping version Marion's theme from Raiders.  Normally love the bike chase music from Last Crusade but found it lacked a bit of punch! Just my feelings on it, but overall really enjoyed it.

6 hours ago, Alejandro said:

Did the announcer say that the Olympic Fanfare was recorded individually by the players during the lockdown?  Or did he say correctly that it was Summon the Heroes.  I remember the Lockhart concert of Williams’ music earlier this year had some errors in the commentary, too. 

On 8/29/2021 at 7:49 PM, Jay said:

On 8/29/2021 at 8:41 PM, Miguel Andrade said:

This particular announcer has been doing this kind of errors since forever... for a while he kept saying that Williams first film score was Sugarland Express. And this went for a few seasons, whenever they were playing some excerpts for Spielberg films.

Great quotes from JW. I wonder if he realizes his Today show music is no longer used by NBC (as far as I can tell), and his Sunday Night Football theme has been massively re-arranged, in a similar manner to how Star Wars trailers adapted JW's themes. 

(Realistically, JW probably doesn't care that much about these things, if he is even aware of them. But he might justifiably be at least a tad annoyed.)

For reference, this was JW's original Sunday Night Football cue (used only for 2 or 3 years after its composition in 2005 or 2006):

On 9/1/2021 at 6:42 PM, Jay said:

"Hello friends!  Thank you, welcome to Film Night at Tanglewood!  We started out appropriately with "Hooray for Hollywood" because that's what we are saying here tonight.  Tonight we explore the wonderful world of film music, the most recent genre of the music that we play on up here on this stage.  When you think about it, the talkies started in 1929,

More like 1927.

But, I'd love to start out with some great, classic movie scores from a little bit earlier on.  First up is the epic 1962 Lawrence of Arabia.  One of Maurice Jarre's first film scores,

Jarre had done about 20 movies prior to LAWRENCE.

“Don’t you just love that musical?  1951, An American in Paris directed by Vincente Minnelligene,

Vincente who? :)

he CRB version fixed Lockhart's blunder by deleting out "1939" from his sentence about Casablanca, and removed what he said about An American In Paris as well.

Well, that's good, at least.

“Here is something that I wanted to show you and have you hear.  It’s from a film called Big Friendly Giant, which Steven Spielberg made 2 or 3 years ago

5 years ago, John. But I can forgive the grasp of time at your age. I'm beginning to lose track myself.

Nitpicking aside, thanks for the transcription, Jay!

31 minutes ago, Thor said:

Vincente who?

Weird, I dunno what happened there, but that was my typo not his. I fixed it

• 1 month later...

PBS will be airing the Violin Concerto No. 2 premiere concert from Tanglewood on Great Performances on November 12.  Here's an excerpt they posted on Facebook:

And a PBS site for the clip: https://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/anne-sophie-mutter-performs-john-williams-violin-concerto-pp/13154/