La-La Land Records has another Williams release planned for 2021

Jay

8 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Hah... sorry Josh but if every other bloody anniversary for every film in that series wasn't reason enough for an expansion, I guarantee the 20th anniversary for Attack of the Clones won't suffice either :heartbreak:

Sometimes it feels like Disney are gaslighting us.

At this point it's only a question of whether we'll be getting  the Complete Star Wars Prequel Scores during our lifetimes or not.... 

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I bet it was 500!

Nah, it was either 100 or 200. I forgot which, but I feel like it was the latter... Over the years I spent 100 each on the OS albums of Jaws 2 and Dracula, too. 

3 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

At this point it's only a question of whether we'll be getting  the Complete Star Wars Prequel Scores during our lifetimes or not.... 

Why bother when we can just get the same ancient OST programs reissued ad nauseam? 

:puh:

28 minutes ago, Holko said:

I want it to be the second, I don't want to pay extra for that mess of a program, all that repeated material, even the unique stuff would fit on disc 3 with other alternates.

There's not very much repeated material, is it?

There's quite a bit of stuff on the Hook OST that differs from the equivalent cues in the film score. I could definitely see a third disc containing the OST in a future expansion, rather than cramming all its various alternates at the end of disc 2.

I'm not sure a properly produced expansion would all fit on two discs anyway (someone with more Hook knowledge please correct me here!) 

53 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

I'd actually be pretty excited about an expanded edition of Sabrina

One of the more underrated JW scores... 

Recently, I watched the movie for the first time and I didn't hear anything that I really missed on the OST. 

9 hours ago, crumbs said:

"He helped us produce new masters for this." Which means going back to the vaulted elements at Sony and getting high-resolution transfers, right?

I think the transfers done in 2011 to be used for the 20th anniversary LLL would already be acceptable; fresh transfers made anew probably wouldn't be terribly different from those, and I doubt Mondo would fund that anyway.  The 2011 tape transfers would have everything needed to rebuild the OST program; The music not found for that project was entirely material that wasn't on the OST album.

Because the ancient digital album masters for this score would surely be insufficient to print on vinyl, given the resolution would be CD spec...

I don't know what format the 1991 album master would be, but it wouldn't be CD quality, it would be above it.  You always want your masters to be of higher quality than the final product whenever possible.  Like remastering a film in 4K when you knew the only commercial product would be 1080p Blu Rays and HD cable, or recording a film score in 32/384 even though you know the film itself is mastering its audio in 24/48.

So the album master was probably preserved on DAT tapes, perhaps? Not sure.  I'm also not sure if that's considered good enough for vinyl masters or not, actually - that's a good question.

Cruise received a box from LLL with MR, WOTW, F&A and BOT4J at the very bottom, all needing sign off.

He gleefully checked off the first 3 but right before checking BOT4J, he had to jump on a motorbike and drive off a cliff for the next Mission Impossible film.

Sadly the intern carrying the box of CDs threw it in a bin, and LLL have been awaiting his approval ever since. A rather tragic turn of events  :(

I laughed out loud reading this on my lunch break today, and couldn't begin to figure out how to give them all the context needed to explain what I was laughing at

There's quite a bit of stuff on the Hook OST that differs from the equivalent cues in the film score.

Indeed!

01 Prologue - not in the film because it was recorded for the film's trailer.  But it plays at the wrong speed here

02 We Don't Wanna Grow Up - the opening is missing from the film because Spielberg re-edited the opening scene

03 Banning Back Home - this is the original version of this cue completely replaced in the film with a rewrite

04 Granny Wendy - I think both these cues are the same in the film

05 Hook-Napped - I think both these cues are the same in the film

06 The Arrival of Think and The Flight To Neverland - this contains the original ending of the second cue in the track, the film uses a revised ending

07 Presenting The Hook - The second cue in this track is presented here in a version without the vocals heard in the film version

08 From Mermaids to Lost Boys - The second cue in this track features choir in the film not present here

09 The Lost Boy Chase - The film version uses a complete different 30 second package for the basketball scene than what you hear here

10 Smee's Plan - I think this cue is the same in the film

11 The Banquet - I think this cue is the same in the film

12 The Neverfeast - The first cue in this track features an insert in the film while here we get the original version without the insert

13 Remembering Childhood - One of the parts of the second cue in this track features a different piano performance here than what's heard in the film

14 You Are The Pan - I think both these cues are the same in the film

15 When You're Alone - Edited down in the film when Spielberg re-edited this part of the movie

16 The Ultimate War - Each of the first two cues in this track have an insert in the film, while this contains the original version

17 Farewell Neverland - A large portion of the first cue was replaced in the film with the choral version of The Face of Pan

I could definitely see a third disc containing the OST in a future expansion, rather than cramming all its various alternates at the end of disc 2.

I'm not sure a properly produced expansion would all fit on two discs anyway (someone with more Hook knowledge please correct me here!) 

I think a 2CD version is do-able if you present some of the inserts as their own short tracks instead of presenting long cues twice (once without the insert and once with)

But if you want to do present all those cues the right way, then yes, you probably need three discs.  But I haven't done the math!

45 minutes ago, Jay said:

You always want your masters to be of higher quality than the final product whenever possible.

I always want the final product to be of higher quality than the masters whenever possible.

My "Always" and "Images" order has not been shipped yet, can you do things in order, MERCY.

What are we for specialized labels.... JUST BIG WALLETS????

:sarcasm:

6 hours ago, WilliamsFan93 said:

Mondo announced that a new 2-LP 30th anniversary of Hook is due for release in November.

Well, I guess that rules out Hook being La La Land Records next release from the Maestro. Very disappointing.

23 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

Well, I guess that rules out Hook being La La Land Records next release from the Maestro. Very disappointing.

Wouldn't this make it more likely? Since the remastered Matessino presentation is likely for a new release

Maybe that's optimistic but since it's the 30th Anniversary, it feels like it's time to renew an old hope

15 minutes ago, blondheim said:

Wouldn't this make it more likely? Since the remastered Matessino presentation is likely for a new release.

Wait, what?

7 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

Wait, what?

He is saying that perhaps he made this presentation while working on a new expansion

I thought E.T. or one of the JP scores had something like this happen in one of the BD sets or something.

E.T.’s 4K Blu-Ray release includes the remastered 1982 OST CD that Mike Mattessino worked on that was part of the 35th anniversary complete release.

Wait, so Mike Mattessino worked on this upcoming vinyl release?

That’s…interesting, I guess.

4 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

Wait, so Mike Mattessino worked on this upcoming vinyl release?

Yes.

Similar to what we did with Superman just now, we worked with Michael Matessino, this amazing producer who works really really closely with the John Williams camp to make sure all of his stuff sounds perfect.  He does everything.  He helped us produce new masters for this and it'll be coming out, I think for the 30th anniversary in November.

Huh. Maybe there is some precedence to this remastered Vinyl release, since Mike Mattessino is involved. Maybe it is a sign that he is working on a complete release of Hook for the film’s 30th anniversary. Besides, why would Mike Mattessino, who is the Maestro’s personal score archivist and has restored and presented the complete scores to numerous films, work on a remaster of the 1991 OST album for Mondo Records and leave it at that? It would be highly unusual and, to be frank, a missed opportunity. 

Over on the FSM board, MV announced that JFK was in the works and when queried about it, MV indicated on May 18, 2016 that it would be out in 2017, or later.

2021 is later than 2017.

Just writing…

17 hours ago, crumbs said:

Why bother when we can just get the same ancient OST programs reissued ad nauseam? 

:puh:

It happened only once, didnt it?  

I didn't mind that... It wasn't necessary, but then who cares. 

If we ever got a 9-CD Complete Star Wars Prequel John Williams boxset  I'd be willing to spend 200 bucks on it!! 

8 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

Besides, why would Mike Mattessino, who is the Maestro’s personal score archivist and has restored and presented the complete scores to numerous films, work on a remaster of the 1991 OST album for Mondo Records and leave it at that? It would be highly unusual and, to be frank, a missed opportunity. 

Why he *would* is easily answered: I'm sure he would if they asked him, even if they didn't allow him to work on the full score. That he wouldn't pass up the opportunity to redo the complete score if he gets it is a different matter (and he has indicated as much).

@Jay What is your opinion on Mike Mattessino being involved in a remastered release of Hook’s 1991 soundtrack album on vinyl for Mondo Records? I’d like to believe that this is a sign that Mike is or has been working on an upcoming remastered and expanded release containing the entire score for the 30th anniversary, and Mondo Records is collaborating to release the remastered 1991 album, similar to Superman, but I would be extremely disappointed if it was just the 1991 album and nothing else. Isn’t Hook your all-time favorite score by the Maestro? Would you be disappointed if it turns out that Mike just worked on a remaster of the OST?

2 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

@Jay What is your opinion on Mike Mattessino being involved in a remastered release of Hook’s 1991 soundtrack album on vinyl for Mondo Records?

I think he was definitely the right man for the job!

Isn’t Hook your all-time favorite score by the Maestro?

I'd say Hook, Empire Strikes Back, and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom are a 3-way tie

Would you be disappointed if it turns out that Mike just worked on a remaster of the OST?

Yes

It doesn’t hurt to try, though.

On 7/27/2021 at 11:59 AM, Jay said:

I'm sure I know some things some other people don't know

Well said...

On 7/25/2021 at 6:37 PM, JohnnyD said:

Hook would make sense considering this year marks the 30th anniversary of the film, not to mention LLL's first crack at Hook from 2012 could use a little T.L.C. from Mike Mattessino. We also have the recent evidence of a copyright renewal from last year for the songs by John Williams and Leslie Bricusse (though I don't know where the link is). I'm just adding fuel to the speculation fire, aren't I? ;)

14 hours ago, bruckhorn said:

Over on the FSM board, MV announced that JFK was in the works and when queried about it, MV indicated on May 18, 2016 that it would be out in 2017, or later.

2021 is later than 2017.

Just writing…

They may be worried about the possibility of a second disc.