La-La Land Records has another Williams release planned for 2021

Jay

5 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I think 9 would be a bit excessive, unless the original album mixes were included I suppose.

I highly doubt it would be 9. It's likely 2 for each film and maybe a 7th disc with some outtakes/alternates etc. If we are lucky. 

2 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

The year is 2077. Humanity lives in a techno-dystopia where robots replaced humans for most of the activities.

The world is controlled by large corporations that exert their domain over the remaining goverments. The biggest corporation is Disney/Apple/Amazon/Google, who controls every aspect of human life.

In amidst all the poverty and despair, one prophecy makes humanity hopeful for a better future: that when the next eclipse occurs, Disney/Apple/Amazon/Google will release the complete John Williams scores for Star Wars Episodes I-IX in a 20 CD box produced by the robot powered by Mike Matessino's mind.

One day, Disney/Apple/Amazon/Google makes the big announcement: they'll release the Williams SW scores! Every single person on Earth was happy that they finally would listen to JW's full recordings. 

But... the prophecy was wrong. It was never a 20 CD box. It's just a remaster of the old OSTs with wildly varying sound quality. The days of despair and sadness would continue for 100 more years...

Heresy! It would need to include 21 discs to be complete!

20 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Heresy! It would need to include 21 discs to be complete!

Maybe a 24 CD box? 2 discs for each movie of the OT and the PT and 3 discs for each film in the ST, being 2 for the complete score and the third for the alternates?

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Maybe a 24 CD box? 2 discs for each movie of the OT and the PT and 3 discs for each film in the ST, being 2 for the complete score and the third for the alternates?

Sounds about right: all three ST films would definitely need 3 discs to fit all the recorded material (174, 184, and 216 minutes). RotJ and TPM might be questionable, especially if all the missing RotJ material were to turn up.

16 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I think 9 would be a bit excessive, unless the original album mixes were included I suppose.

A lot of John Williams is never excessive

Although I think that 8 would be perfect for the PT (3 for TPM, 2 for AotC and 3 for RotS), 8 for the OT (2 for ANH, 2 for ESB, and 3 for RotJ + a bonus disc) and more for the ST (4 for TFA, 3 for TLJ, 7 for TROS)

19 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

A lot of John Williams is never excessive

Well, true. But what I meant is that there isn't enough content to fill up a third disc for those films. TPM *maybe*, although most of the alternates would easily fit on the second disc. ROTS on the other hand could fit everything easily on 2 discs, with room to spare.

As for the OT ROTJ is the only one that would need a third disc to get all the source material on there, another bonus disc wouldn't be necessarily in that case since there'd still be a plethora of room on that third disc to fit in tons of bonus content from the other two films. 

The ST would probably need three for each, a fourth might not be necessarily for any of them depending on how many cues have significant alternates.

18 hours ago, aj_vader said:

I'd pay anything, including my soul. 

Well, you probably shouldn't sell your ears. Your soul, yes, but not your ears... :D

On 7/28/2021 at 10:20 AM, Manakin Skywalker said:

Lest we not forget...

Untitled-1.jpg

Yeah, not just John Williams, but we all know that British girls are special... :P

I've always thought that that ROTS might need a third disc because of the difference between the original album and the film version (although I'm not sure that Williams would allowed some of the film version). It would be a shame not to have the track Main Title and Revenge of the Sith in this edition, same for A New Hope and End Credits and this would at least length 20 minutes so I'm not sure that 2 hours would be sufficient to have the complete score and alternates

As for the OT you're probably right a bonus disc might not be needed, I just don't know how much materials there is for ROTJ. Something like 3 hours or more?

Finally I think that TROS could possibly need a fourth disc if Williams wrote two times what was needed because of JJ

I'm also wondering if the arrangements for Mutter and the Skywalker Symphony Orchestra might be included in such a box set or would it be impossible?

1 hour ago, May the Force be with You said:

It would be a shame not to have the track Main Title and Revenge of the Sith in this edition

Why? It's just an edit that drops half the cues that were supposed to be in it, creating very unintendedly jarring transitions. The only "alternate" in it AFAIK is the fanfares right at the first pan, and the film version of that with the drums is probably just something created in the editing room.

Well I'm personally just attached to those edits plus I think that a SW boxset would deserve to be the more exhaustive possible.

We're waiting for the prequels expansion since 2005 and more for TPM so it's not to have something in the vein of The Ultimate Edition of TPM, if we have it after twelve years (let's face it's not for this year) who knows how long we might wait again if some cues are missing (remember Hook... :crymore:)

1 minute ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Yeah film edits definitely wouldn't be included.

Nor should they be, the prequels have some of the worst music editing and looping and hacking I've ever heard to cover up those unscored parts.

Right. The ONLY one I'd be okay with as maybe a bonus track is the percussion-only opening, if only so I can put together an isolated score track for myself :lol:

But everything else just sounds awful, and can easily be recreated using the material that would be on these sets.

Yes, that's the only one I might even prefer over the written cue. It makes the opening a lot heavier and the entrance of the Force Theme a lot more impactful.

10 minutes ago, aj_vader said:

How much is missing from the 2 disc LaLaLand Hook? 

Season 1 Episode 3 GIF by Rick and Morty

If I remember well, that's not just what is missing, that's how it was assembled.

Am I right?

16 minutes ago, aj_vader said:

How much is missing from the 2 disc LaLaLand Hook? 

Season 1 Episode 3 GIF by Rick and Morty

I heard rumors that it uses many wrong takes so... most of the score's missing from it I guess?

7 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

The ONLY one I'd be okay with as maybe a bonus track is the percussion-only opening

Agree it would be amazing to have it. Love that long boom-boom..........boom-boom :lol:

On 7/27/2021 at 3:05 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

So you don't think the complete prequel scores are worth more than The Eiger Sanction? ;)

Well, there's a difference between a brand-new album and an album that's long been OOP and OOS... 

20 hours ago, crumbs said:

Sooo... was Time Tunnel the remaining JW title for LLL this year? 

Did MV say anywhere how many titles from any composer were forthcoming?  The quote I saw says:

"We have some spectacular releases coming from Williams, Horner, and some guy named Goldsmith"

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=144674&forumID=1&archive=0

And that's it

21 hours ago, crumbs said:

Sooo... was Time Tunnel the remaining JW title for LLL this year? 

Of course NOT.