Hook - 30th Anniversary Double Vinyl from Mondo Records 2021

Jay

HookMondo.png

Source: https://youtu.be/51ZeE5aN-Eo starting at 58:41

My transcript:

Wanted to officially let everyone know, because people ask about this all the time, now that we just put out our most recent John Williams score, that our next John Williams title is going to be the 30th Anniversary of Hook.

Similar to what we did with Superman just now, we worked with Michael Matessino, this amazing producer who works really really closely with the John Williams camp to make sure all of his stuff sounds perfect.  He does everything.  He helped us produce new masters for this and it'll be coming out, I think for the 30th anniversary in November.

That's the plan right now, we're working on artwork, nothing to share just yet, but that's coming up on the horizon

Hook's 30th anniversary is December 11th, not in November.

This marks Mike's first foray into the world of Hook, since the previous 20th anniversary expansion from La-La Land Records was produced by Didier Deutsch. 

Incidentally, that was the only Spielberg/Williams collaboration to receive a specialty label release that Mike wasn't involved with, other than the SS/JW Amazing Stories episode scores released by Intrada.

Oh, please let this just be a precursor to a full Matessino version of the whole score, including the Prologue at the right speed in B minor for once!

I missed the LLL release of Hook, so I feel like I’ve been waiting for an expanded release since 1991.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

The only question I have about this release is: Will the trailer cue play at the as-recorded speed, or at the as-released OST speed?

Likely neither, unless the turntable is operating at the proper speed...

tenor.gif

3 minutes ago, thx99 said:

tenor.gif

Don't start me on that subject.... the speed of analog supports...

:sarcasm:

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

The only question I have about this release is: Will the trailer cue play at the as-recorded speed, or at the as-released OST speed?

So if this is your only question about the release, you must know the answer to this one: Did Mike rebuild the OST using the first generation masters? :D 

8 minutes ago, QuartalHarmony said:

Oh, please let this just be a precursor to a full Matessino version of the whole score, including the Prologue at the right speed in B minor for once!

I think this is a good sign that Matessino will eventually tackle the complete score.

On 7/26/2021 at 4:37 PM, thx99 said:

So true!

On 7/26/2021 at 4:43 PM, Chewy said:

So if this is your only question about the release, you must know the answer to this one: Did Mike rebuild the OST using the first generation masters? :D 

I would speculate he rebuilt it using the tape transfers done in 2011 for the 20th Anniversary LLL project.  I don't think new transfers of those tapes made in 2021 would be terribly different from the 2011 transfers, and I doubt Mondo would fund new transfers anyway, since those exist.

The tapes transferred in 2011 were obviously not a complete set since some tracks on the final LLL album were pulled form the film's music stem, but that material was not on the OST album anyway, so the 2011 transfers should have everything that was on the OST.

Starting at 1:00:04. He say's people have been asking about Mandalorian 2 and then says the have one or two more Disney titles coming out. One being Star Wars that isn't Mandalorian.

5 minutes ago, Toillion said:

Starting at 1:00:04. He say's people have been asking about Mandalorian 2 and then says the have one or two more Disney titles coming out. One being Star Wars that isn't Mandalorian.

Most likely Solo Expanded or Rogue One OST

1 hour ago, Toillion said:

Likely the Solo DE as people have been begging JP for it on social media.

9 hours ago, mstrox said:

It’ll probably just be some OST reissue, but on an ancient format with an ugly cover!

I’m going to predict the reduced 1CD Empire OST on 8-track cassette with a free poster.

Remastered by R2D2 and Wicket the Ewok.

All for just 59.95 plus 94.20 postage.

It's a bit mysterious to me that Mondo would have no issues licensing a vinyl reissue of the OST but LLL wouldn't tackle a new expansion done properly by Mike M.

Hypothetically, I wonder if the licensing for a complete score is just vastly more complicated, especially if it includes those rumoured early musical demos (requiring the consent of Bricusse, vocal artists, actors, etc.)?

2 hours ago, QuartalHarmony said:

We don’t know that LLL aren’t preparing a full release, it’s just not been announced. Like many others, I’m taking this as a cautious sign that a full release is very much in the offing.

What I find odd is that the vinyl OST release has been announced before the full release - wouldn’t it normally be the other way around (as with, for example Mondo’s vinyl Superman)? I suppose it’s extremely possible that the two companies haven’t deconflicted their announcement schedules.

Mark

Maybe they thought it would just be a nice thing to announce already? I mean, it's nothign to get really excited about unless you like vinyls and vinyl OST re-issues are very common. A complete LLL edition would be much more exciting.

Looks good!

Fun fact: HOOK was the last Williams score to get an LP release back when LPs were still a normal thing (rather than a hipster thing). FAR & AWAY was not on LP (except for a few pressings in Germany), and disregarding some specialty things like the original collector's JURASSIC PARK LP, subsequent scores were only on CD (and a little bit cassette) untill the vinyl resurgence.

It didn't even get an LP here in the states; An LP released concurrently with the film only happened in some European countries

Attack of the Clones was the last Star Wars movie to get a VHS release in the US.  Maybe the retro media goons will get Revenge of the Sith and the Disney era films someday too.  They can file them next to their vinyl records.

I don't think they will remaster the prologue at his good original speed. I'm sure it will be a simple remaster without more stuffs. The vinyls capacities can't even allow bonus tracks... I'm only curious about the new cover.

Anyway, I'm sure something bigger is coming... At best, before November. At worst, at the end of the year or even worst next year... If they miss this, they will be unforgivable.

On 7/26/2021 at 8:55 PM, Jay said:

Hook's 30th anniversary is December 11th, not in November.

Yes but November marks the 30th anniversary of the soundtrack release (November 26th, 1991).

47 minutes ago, Goldfingers said:

November marks the 30th anniversary of the soundtrack release (November 26th, 1991).

Oh snap - you're right!

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Looks good!

Fun fact: HOOK was the last Williams score to get an LP release back when LPs were still a normal thing (rather than a hipster thing). FAR & AWAY was not on LP (except for a few pressings in Germany), and disregarding some specialty things like the original collector's JURASSIC PARK LP, subsequent scores were only on CD (and a little bit cassette) untill the vinyl resurgence.

I miss LP short programs, they were better!

Now I like when some composers add Bonuses at the end of their OSTs. Its like if they were saying: I made a shorter program, but here are some bonus tracks... insert them in the main program if you want!

The off-speed version from the OST release has no business being anywhere on a newly-expanded release from LLL!! It was a mistake, not an artistic decision.

Having said that, did the LLL 2-CD expanded version feature the off-speed version? I don’t think it did but I could be wrong.

On 27/07/2021 at 5:58 PM, Bespin said:

I miss LP short programs, they were better!

The Post is only 40 minutes

On 27/07/2021 at 5:59 PM, thx99 said:

did the LLL 2-CD expanded version feature the off-speed version? I don’t think it did but I could be wrong.

The version in the main program, Deutsch's team took directly off the album master, so it's the wrong speed

The bonus track version was a take his team found with that unique extra passage, so that tracks plays at the correct speed

• 3 weeks later...

Prepare yourself mentally before reading any further

Sit down if you need to

Here we go

Mike Matessino just posted this into the FSM thread for this release

"Despite the anniversary year and the Mondo LP, for which I rebuilt the original album, if an expanded Hook is coming out on CD this year, it's news to me."

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=144686&forumID=1&archive=0

More from Mike

Can you confirm if new sources have been found since the LLL release that do offer better quality?

I will only say that the tape transfers from 2011 were used to create the new LP master.

Well I guess those already had everything that was on the OST, didn't they? And there weren't transfer problems like with the Concord Raiders and ToD, right? So if those are true and if he did already complete a Hook waiting for approvals, he could have just used those scans plus the missing reels, and in reworking that into this OST release, would have only used the 2011 transfers?

On 7/26/2021 at 4:48 PM, Jay said:

I would speculate he rebuilt it using the tape transfers done in 2011 for the 20th Anniversary LLL project.  I don't think new transfers of those tapes made in 2021 would be terribly different from the 2011 transfers, and I doubt Mondo would fund new transfers anyway, since those exist.

The tapes transferred in 2011 were obviously not a complete set since some tracks on the final LLL album were pulled form the film's music stem, but that material was not on the OST album anyway, so the 2011 transfers should have everything that was on the OST.