Hook - 30th Anniversary Double Vinyl from Mondo Records 2021

Jay

54 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

I sent my e-mail request from their website form days ago and have not received a response.

They can't just ignore us... answering "No this is not possible" would be way better.

21 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I don't think MM is the person that's supposed to answer emails sent to LLL.

That's not what I said. He curated the release from inception to release. Surely he checked the final master before it was used for production? I don't know the workflow but I'd want to ensure my name is not attached to something that has avoidable flaws. He could provide insight into how these issues could potentially happen.

5 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

That's not what I said. He curated the release from inception to release. Surely he checked the final master before it was used for production? I don't know the workflow but I'd want to ensure my name is not attached to something that has avoidable flaws. He could provide insight into how these issues could potentially happen.

There was a logical explanation for the Azkaban frequency cutoff, but I don't believe the Schindler's List issue was ever addressed.

14 hours ago, crumbs said:

There was a logical explanation for the Azkaban frequency cutoff, but I don't believe the Schindler's List issue was ever addressed.

What was that explanation?

On 18/08/2021 at 10:19 AM, Goldfingers said:

Hook original soundtrack  > 26th November 1991

Just noticed that the anniversary of the original soundtrack release is Black Friday, 26th November 2021. It would be great if they release the LP on the exact day of the anniversary.

5 minutes ago, Goldfingers said:

Speaking of, it'd be great if Trevor Jones stopped being an ass and LLL could do a new complete great sounding Dark Crystal!

27 minutes ago, Holko said:

Speaking of, it'd be great if Trevor Jones stopped being an ass and LLL could do a new complete great sounding Dark Crystal!

Definitely! What's weird is that he can't possibly be happy with the existing expanded version taken from the film stems (I believe) so there's lots of abrupt edits and fade outs. Better to get the original elements for a definitive version. But back to the topic... Hook... vinyl... anniversary... where's the expanded 3CD version?! Agh?! Etc. ;-)

10 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

What's weird is that he can't possibly be happy with the existing expanded version taken from the film stems (I believe) so there's lots of abrupt edits and fade outs.

Relistened to the OST on spotify, he can't possibly be happy with the ultra dated sound of that either!

Just now, Holko said:

Relistened to the OST on spotify, he can't possibly be happy with the ultra dated sound of that either!

I can't say I recall the original soundtrack sounding that bad, although mine is from the double CD release which includes the aforementioned "complete" score on the other disc so perhaps that version of the OST sounds better and Spotify use the original mastering?! Dunno!

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Are you listening to Spotify in your browser? Then the bit-rate is crappy...

Or that ;-)

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Are you listening to Spotify in your browser? Then the bit-rate is crappy...

...no, not like that. It feels like the orchestra is back there in the back of the room, mostly just in front of you, buried under a ton of reverb. I don't know the right terms to describe it.

1 minute ago, Holko said:

...no, not like that. It feels like the orchestra is back there in the back of the room, mostly just in front of you, buried under a ton of reverb. I don't know the right terms to describe it.

A bad bit-rate can make stuff sound more muddy. Anyway, I've never had any issues with the sound quality of the OST, but now I'll have to check it (if I can find the correct moving box)...

On 20/10/2021 at 7:46 PM, Chewy said:

So basically Mike legitimately considered that using the 48kHz source would be better if it needed to be combined with the 192k source but it was discovered too late that this source is actually inferior to the 44.1k master.

Am I understanding correctly then that the 1st pressing uses the inferior source (but only for the first few cues) then they realises there was an issue and updated the master for the repressings?

2 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Am I understanding correctly then that the 1st pressing uses the inferior source (but only for the first few cues) then they realises there was an issue and updated the master for the repressings?

Right, the new master uses the 44.1kHz OST source instead of the 48kHz one. 

On 18/10/2021 at 9:18 PM, Jay said:

There's nothing wrong with the initial pressings of the Potter box.  The human ear can't hear the frequencies that are missing on the first pressing.  It was only discovered because people decided to look at the music instead of listen to it.

Wondering why then go to the trouble of changing the master if the differences are academic/inaudible

I'm guessing that given Matessino's commitment to Williams releases (plus being so connected to the community apparently), he probably would have an actual inclination to fix whatever possible error exists, no matter how minor. In comparison, likely thanks to the lack of attention put on it (plus the actual possibility they just didn't have enough available sources within the vaults), Small Soldiers has gotten no noteworthy fixes in spite of having the same problems HP3 and SL do.

2 hours ago, HunterTech said:

I'm guessing that given Matessino's commitment to Williams releases (plus being so connected to the community apparently), he probably would have an actual inclination to fix whatever possible error exists, no matter how minor.

If that's the case, it begs the question why Mike didn't fix the weird edit and or audio glitch between Saving Buckbeak and the Bats Extension. That's even one of the tracks he provided a corrected master for!

• 4 weeks later...

Mondo ship internationally, but postage and import fees can up the price. Ebay although it usually ends up more or less the same price as buying from Mondo directly, there's Zavvi, they're UK based so are probably your best bet, well those are the places I've seen that get the latest one's at least.

8 hours ago, crumbs said:

I wonder if this release will have the Prologue at the correct speed, or match the OST version?

On 26/07/2021 at 4:31 PM, Jay said:

The only question I have about this release is: Will the trailer cue play at the as-recorded speed, or at the as-released OST speed?

On 26/07/2021 at 4:37 PM, thx99 said:

Likely neither, unless the turntable is operating at the proper speed...

tenor.gif

On 26/07/2021 at 4:41 PM, Bespin said:

Don't start me on that subject.... the speed of analog supports...

:sarcasm:

I'd probably buy it if you got a digital download of the remaster with purchase. But since you don't, and this will prpbsbly be what, $40 or something, and I don't play vinyl records, I don't think I will. Looking forward to seeing what the art is, though! 

1 hour ago, blondheim said:

Good luck to all those waiting for the five minutes this is available

Yeah I wonder how long it will last. The demand seems like it will be high but you never really know. Also depends on how many they make and if it’s limited or not. 
I’ve never missed a vinyl release from mondo but I have great internet at home. If it is released on Black Friday I hope I don’t miss out because I’ll be traveling with very limited internet. 

30 years ago today, November 26 1991, the Hook original soundtrack album was released via Epic Records. This was a Tuesday, when all new music albums released at the time, 2 weeks ahead of the film's Wednesday December 11th release date. 

It's a bit odd Mondo hadn't said anything about Mike's rebuild of the OST album since that July podcast... Something tells me it ain't coming out this month anymore. 

I hope it will be released in December... or maybe it's delayed to 2022... Sony and Amblin's policies about Hook make no sense anyway. Anniversary or not, they just don't give a f*ck about the movie.

I really thought we were going to get a Black Friday announcement from Mondo about a preorder date for this one. But they did just do their big poster sale today so maybe they just didn’t want to have too much going on at once and spread things out a little. I still think we will hear something in the next couple weeks about it. 

Black Friday would have been the perfect time to announce it since it was 30 years to the day since the album program they have remastered was first released.  Oh well.

6 hours ago, ATXHusker said:

They're waiting to coincide with the new and improved CD release by LLL   :lol:

I could not be manifesting this more. It was the first thing the voice inside my head whispered when I heard things were getting pushed back on multiple fronts

Hey that's actually a good point!  When was the last time ANY label got ANYTHING out that door that was licensed from Sony Music?

LLL's The Thin Red Line was February 2019.  I can't think of a Sony Music licensed title since!

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations, @John Takis!

https://mashable.com/article/hook-30th-anniversary-mondo-vinyl-release

Mondo's last drop of 2021 is a doozy: A 30th anniversary vinyl for 'Hook'

A beautiful collector's item for the best Peter Pan movie.
By Adam Rosenberg  on 

If you're looking for some musical holiday cheer, Mondo and John Williams have got you covered.

The Austin-based boutique's latest highly collectible geeky treasure is its last of the year, and it's a killer: The legendary Star Wars composer's soundtrack to Hook, re-issued in a sweet 2LP vinyl record set. It's a 30th-anniversary release that will receive a limited edition run of 1,991 copies, in a nod to the year the movie first hit theaters.

For anyone who's never known this cult classic's joys and wonders, Hook is a many-years-later sequel of sorts to Peter Pan. (Technically it's a sequel to J.M. Barrie's 1911 novel Peter and Wendy, but potato / po-tah-to). Robin Williams stars as Peter Banning, a dad and successful lawyer who also happens to have a magical history that he doesn't totally remember. But when Peter's two children suddenly disappear, he's whisked away to Neverland to face an old foe, Captain Hook (Dustin Hoffman).

It's a special movie that features a bonkers cast. Beyond Williams and Hoffman, there are Julia Roberts, Bob Hoskins, Maggie Smith, Dante Basco, and even Phil Collins! Though reviews of Hook have been mixed, the score composed by Williams is a winner.

Mondo's vinyl re-issue arrives in a gatefold sleeve featuring new art from Devin Elle Kurtz, a young digital artist with a talent for creating fantastical, eye-catching scenes. The front-and-back art highlights memorable moments from the movie aboard Captain Hook's ship, and the piece spread across the inside of the gatefold (pictured above) visits the Lost Boys' treetop home in Neverland.

The vinyl reissue also features liner notes by John Takis, a writer and film score enthusiast who has written on and discussed Hook's lush score before.

Pre-orders for the limited edition $35 release will open up on Dec. 15 on Mondo's website.

The limited edition 'Hook' soundtrack record set from Mondo. The record sleeve is open, showing off new artwork from Devin Elle Kurtz, and just in front of it is a pair of records with different alternating color designs on each one as well as a mock-handwritten note on a piece of fake parchment, which reads: "Peter, Your presence is required at the request of your children. Kindest personal regards, JAS Hook, Captain."

images-2.fit_lim.size_376x.jpg

images-1.fit_lim.size_376x.jpg