Hook - 30th Anniversary Double Vinyl from Mondo Records 2021

Jay

51 minutes ago, Jay said:

Congratulations, @John Takis!

https://mashable.com/article/hook-30th-anniversary-mondo-vinyl-release

Mondo's last drop of 2021 is a doozy: A 30th anniversary vinyl for 'Hook'

A beautiful collector's item for the best Peter Pan movie.
By Adam Rosenberg  on 

If you're looking for some musical holiday cheer, Mondo and John Williams have got you covered.

The Austin-based boutique's latest highly collectible geeky treasure is its last of the year, and it's a killer: The legendary Star Wars composer's soundtrack to Hook, re-issued in a sweet 2LP vinyl record set. It's a 30th-anniversary release that will receive a limited edition run of 1,991 copies, in a nod to the year the movie first hit theaters.

For anyone who's never known this cult classic's joys and wonders, Hook is a many-years-later sequel of sorts to Peter Pan. (Technically it's a sequel to J.M. Barrie's 1911 novel Peter and Wendy, but potato / po-tah-to). Robin Williams stars as Peter Banning, a dad and successful lawyer who also happens to have a magical history that he doesn't totally remember. But when Peter's two children suddenly disappear, he's whisked away to Neverland to face an old foe, Captain Hook (Dustin Hoffman).

It's a special movie that features a bonkers cast. Beyond Williams and Hoffman, there are Julia Roberts, Bob Hoskins, Maggie Smith, Dante Basco, and even Phil Collins! Though reviews of Hook have been mixed, the score composed by Williams is a winner.

Mondo's vinyl re-issue arrives in a gatefold sleeve featuring new art from Devin Elle Kurtz, a young digital artist with a talent for creating fantastical, eye-catching scenes. The front-and-back art highlights memorable moments from the movie aboard Captain Hook's ship, and the piece spread across the inside of the gatefold (pictured above) visits the Lost Boys' treetop home in Neverland.

The vinyl reissue also features liner notes by John Takis, a writer and film score enthusiast who has written on and discussed Hook's lush score before.

Pre-orders for the limited edition $35 release will open up on Dec. 16 on Mondo's website.

The limited edition 'Hook' soundtrack record set from Mondo. The record sleeve is open, showing off new artwork from Devin Elle Kurtz, and just in front of it is a pair of records with different alternating color designs on each one as well as a mock-handwritten note on a piece of fake parchment, which reads: "Peter, Your presence is required at the request of your children. Kindest personal regards, JAS Hook, Captain."

images-2.fit_lim.size_376x.jpg

images-1.fit_lim.size_376x.jpg

So no MM remaster? I am sure they had announced it for this release.

Why do you say that?  It absolutely is MM's new rebuild.

Mondo's official page will of course mention so when it goes live on Thursday; this an outside article by Mashable

The release date was wrong on that article at first but they fixed it. It will be released on Wednesday the 15th. Just a heads up to anyone who read it before they fixed the error.

1,991 copies seems like a pretty small run. I wonder how long it will last before selling out.

Mondo announcement page: https://mondoshop.com/blogs/news/hook-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-2xlp-on-sale-info

Our final week of new releases for 2021, and our 10th anniversary, comes to a proper close. We wanted to thank everyone who has supported us over the year, and who has ever bought records from us this past decade.

HOOK_INSERT_1024x1024.png?v=1638907614

This week, we are over the moon, second star to the left, and straight on 'til morning excited to present a 30th anniversary re-issue of John Williams' score to the beloved Steven Spielberg film HOOK. Featuring beautiful artwork by Devin Elle Kurtz, liner notes by John Takis, and pressed on color vinyl - this limited edition pressing comes just on the heels of Spielberg's latest theatrical release WEST SIDE STORY (which we highly recommend ... in theaters now).

As always, all new releases are available for pre-order on Wednesdays at 12PM CT at MondoRecordShop.com.

NEW RELEASE:

Mondo is proud to celebrate the 30th anniversary of Steven Spielberg's HOOK, with a re-issue of John Williams' beautiful and brilliant original score on vinyl.

HOOK_FC_1024x1024.jpg?v=1638907612

A maestro of some of the most iconic and memorable film themes in the history of the medium, John Williams' take on the legendary pirate and his greatest foe is worthy of his storied career - as if the man who made us believe Superman could fly couldn't do the same for Peter Pan. But this score is truly singular - from Swashbuckling and epic symphonic motifs of Never Never Land, to the adult contemporary jazz of the real world, to twinkling lullabies - the soundtrack to Hook is a fantastical feast for the senses.

HOOK_DISCS_1024x1024.png?v=1638907613

This 30th anniversary vinyl reissue was produced and edited by Mike Matessino. It features all new, original artwork by Devin Elle Kurtz, liner notes by John Takis, and is pressed on 2x 180 gram Colored vinyl (also available on 2x 180 Gram black vinyl).

HOOK_GATEcopy_1024x1024.jpg?v=1638907614

HOOK - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack 2XLP
. Music by John Williams. Art by Devin Elle Kurtz. Pressed on 180 Gram Hook vs. Pan Vinyl. Also available on 180 Gram Black vinyl. $35.

I bought the ET vinyl release because (a) it's my favorite score of all time and (b) it was supporting LLL.  This would be supporting Mondo, a despicable company that will never get a penny from me.  That said, I look forward to the reports of others that buy it about the sound and the liner notes.

There you go, Matessino is mentioned there.  He didn't just rebuild the OST, he produced the entire release!

When it says "is pressed on 2x 180 gram Colored vinyl (also available on 2x 180 Gram black vinyl)", does that mean 1,991 copies of each?  Or 1,991 copies split up between both options?

Just now, Jay said:

There you go, Matessino is mentioned there.  He didn't just rebuild the OST, he produced the entire release

He sold his soul to the devil! We shall renounce him as our saviour!

35 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I bought the ET vinyl release because (a) it's my favorite score of all time and (b) it was supporting LLL.  This would be supporting Mondo, a despicable company that will never get a penny from me.  That said, I look forward to the reports of others that buy it about the sound and the liner notes.

outta the loop, what's wrong with Mondo?

nice release, btw.  but i don't buy/listen to vinyl.  although I almost bought the Jaws one a while back as a 'collectible'

8 minutes ago, John Takis said:

The prologue plays at the correct pitch and speed on this release.

There it is!

46 minutes ago, Jay said:

There you go, Matessino is mentioned there.  He didn't just rebuild the OST, he produced the entire release!

When it says "is pressed on 2x 180 gram Colored vinyl (also available on 2x 180 Gram black vinyl)", does that mean 1,991 copies of each?  Or 1,991 copies split up between both options?

For Mondo that usually means the color variant is limited to 1,991 and the standard black is not limited and may be repressed. They usually have less of the black available initially so it still sells out. But they will probably Tweet after it sales out that more black copies will be available next year

1 hour ago, Goldfingers said:

1 hour ago, Jay said:

48 minutes ago, John Takis said:

Thanks for the congrats, folks! As I'm sure anyone here can guess, it was an extraordinary pleasure and privilege to write for this album.

The prologue plays at the correct pitch and speed on this release.

I’m glad for those who own a record player.

Forgive me if I’m a bit confused. Since Mike Matessino produced this remastered reissue of the original 1991 album exclusively for vinyl, was there some sort of issue that prevented an expanded and remastered release on CD? I’m kind of dumbfounded by this. I don’t understand it.

1 hour ago, JohnnyD said:

Forgive me if I’m a bit confused. Since Mike Matessino produced this remastered reissue of the original 1991 album exclusively for vinyl, was there some sort of issue that prevented an expanded and remastered release on CD? I’m kind of dumbfounded by this. I don’t understand it.

A new expansion would, by definition, include never-before-released music, which is a different kettle of fish as far as the licensing and legalities are concerned. Seeing to that can be a complex and time-consuming process. That some LP and CD reissues do happen in close proximity is a case of the stars happily aligning, but it's not a given. Trust Mike, though! He wants to see a proper expanded and remastered CD set happen as much as any of us. But if and when it happens, it will be in its own good time.

At least the new LLL Fiddler demonstrated that song pre-recordings aren't off-limits for expansions, so there's hope Mike will be able to include Hook's early songs/demos on a new expansion.

Would be a licensing nightmare of course, given the clearances involved with vocal talent (and could explain why the 30th anniversary went begging).

These must be the elements MV mentioned were discovered back in 2012 (for the first expansion) but couldn't be released.

3 minutes ago, Goldfingers said:

It was 1991 copies or 2x1991 copies ?

Edit: the hook on the back cover is really ugly... I don't understand why this choice.

1991 for the Hook vs. Pan Vinyl color variant. The number of black pressed is unspecified and will be repressed in 2022.

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

Will there ever be a JW vinyl that doesn't sell out in 2 seconds? This is ridiculous.

The expanded E.T. vinyl that LLL released took months to sell out (if not longer, possibly years?)

• 3 months later...

I suspect any new Hook expansion, done properly and including all the playback recordings, would have a pretty time-consuming approval process. That's lots of artists who, presumably, need to sign off on such material being released. 

On 01/04/2022 at 6:34 PM, Toillion said:

I just got a shipping notification! 😃

Do let us know when it arrives, and what your thoughts on it are

On 01/04/2022 at 6:34 PM, Toillion said:

I just got a shipping notification! 😃

When did you buy it? I would've assumed these were shipped out months ago when it was announced:blink:

21 minutes ago, Brando said:

When did you buy it? I would've assumed these were shipped out months ago when it was announced:blink:

Yeah I ordered on December 15th. A lot of vinyl preorders are months in advance. The Berlin Concert is another record shipping this month that I ordered last year.

2 hours ago, Brando said:

The Rogue One set hasn't started shipping yet either. It also says April, so hopefully soon... 🤞

5 hours ago, Toillion said:

Yeah I ordered on December 15th. A lot of vinyl preorders are months in advance. The Berlin Concert is another record shipping this month that I ordered last year.

6 hours ago, Jay said:

When it went up for sale in December, it said right on the order page it would start shipping in April 2022.

Still does: https://mondoshop.com/products/hook-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-2xlp

Ah, I see. All I saw back then was the art and track listing, I didn't see the order page.

On 02/04/2022 at 1:44 PM, crumbs said:

I suspect any new Hook expansion, done properly and including all the playback recordings, would have a pretty time-consuming approval process. That's lots of artists who, presumably, need to sign off on such material being released. 

Between the new copyright registrations noticed online and the published sheet musics.
Something has been unblocked anyway. But if there are no songs or no more never heard material like the alternative Prologue track, it is useless in my opinion.

In janurary, the artist Devin Elle Kurtz published the textless artworks on twitter. For those who are interested.

Hook-Mondo-Cover_01.jpgHook-Mondo-Cover_02.jpg

Hook-Mondo-Cover_03.jpg

On 02/04/2022 at 1:44 PM, crumbs said:

My biggest fear... if they make new recording of the songs to avoid the approval process of the originals artists who worked on the movie.