Hook - 30th Anniversary Double Vinyl from Mondo Records 2021

Jay

My copy was at the post office a town over 5 days ago and has been “in transit to the next destination” ever since. 😓

I’m  sure it’ll be here in the next couple days. I’m just impatient knowing it was so close. 

19 hours ago, Toillion said:

My copy was at the post office a town over 5 days ago and has been “in transit to the next destination” ever since. 😓

I’m  sure it’ll be here in the next couple days. I’m just impatient knowing it was so close. 

Wouldn't happen to be stuck in Nebraska would it? :lol:

I've been waiting for a LLL package that's been stuck in transit in North Platte NE for several days now, meanwhile a second package I ordered along with it already arrived on Sunday.

On 09/04/2022 at 11:06 AM, Demondm810 said:

Woohoo! 

F3F6A366-8CC7-484D-BE0A-C020D644EA67.jpeg

So how's it sound?

What's it like to finally hear the Prologue played at the original recording speed outside of the teaser itself?

How are Takis's liner notes?

Any other comments on the release?

15 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Wouldn't happen to be stuck in Nebraska would it? :lol:

I've been waiting for a LLL package that's been stuck in transit in North Platte NE for several days now, meanwhile a second package I ordered along with it already arrived on Sunday.

Haha nope! Mine is stuck in Arkansas.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Well I guess you can adjust the speed of the turntable until it’s at the correct pitch and speed…

Well yes, but I mean the actual recording straight from the recording sessions!

Not a version which was artificially pitch-shifted once, then artificially pitch-shifted back.

7 hours ago, Groovygoth666 said:

@Demondm810 & @Toillion have you managed to give this a listen yet? And if you have is it any improvement over the original OST or LLL releases?

Mine is still lost in the mail unfortunately. 

MM rebuilt this edition from the ground up from the raw takes. The Prologue is at the correct speed on this album because of this. 

"dramatic" is relative, but generally the speed of a good turntable can be very precisely adjusted... but a certain setting can be good for one LP, but not for another...

I never saw an LP sold with the mention "we garanty this LP was pressed with perfectly calibrated material."

And if you handle an older LP made with analogue material, you take the chance the tapes were not even transfered at the right speed on the LP press...

Then, the strap of a turntable tend to get loose with time, again it depends of the quality of the material...

Ahhh... old technology...

Exposing myself to music "not a the good speed" would represent a big regression for me.

15 hours ago, crumbs said:

Well yes, but I mean the actual recording straight from the recording sessions!

Not a version which was artificially pitch-shifted once, then artificially pitch-shifted back.

The thing is that it wasn't artificially pitch-shifted. The original file they used was in 48kHz, and some dumbass, instead of clipping the frequency to 44.1kHz, accidentally changed the speed to 44.1kHz (which is a thing btw). If you change the speed back to 48kHz, what you end up with is the original, unaltered recording session file, without any artificial speed/pitch changing whatsoever, and it's true 48kHz as a plus. From then if you can convert it properly to 44.1kHz if desirable.

I'm surprised more people didn't realize that.

30 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

The thing is that it wasn't artificially pitch-shifted. The original file they used was in 48kHz, and some dumbass, instead of clipping the frequency to 44.1kHz, accidentally changed the speed to 44.1kHz (which is a thing btw). If you change the speed back to 48kHz, what you end up with is the original, unaltered recording session file, without any artificial speed/pitch changing whatsoever, and it's true 48kHz as a plus. From then if you can convert it properly to 44.1kHz if desirable.

I'm surprised more people didn't realize that.

Any ideas if this would be possible in Audacity/Adobe Audition and if so how to do it?

24 minutes ago, Groovygoth666 said:

Any ideas if this would be possible in Audacity/Adobe Audition and if so how to do it?

In Audacity, import the file and open the dropdown menu (click on the filename on the left next to the waveform), hover over "Rate", and select "48000 Hz". That's it.

2 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

In Audacity, import the file and open the dropdown menu (click on the filename on the left next to the waveform), hover over "Rate", and select "48000 Hz". That's it.

Awesome, so if I've done this right the Mondo version should sound like this

598174237_01.Prologue(CorrectSpeed).flac

Mine finally came in today! I was pleasantly surprised since it had been two weeks with no tracking updates. I’m giving it a full listen now. The first thing I noticed was how low the volume was and I had to crank it up for this album. I listened to side 1 earlier and noticed a lot of surface noise so I stopped and gave them a good clean and now it is sounding much better. 

B202624C-A74D-46D9-BBAE-667F6CE7FCFD.jpeg

A8923460-4D52-4894-8432-41AFAF4D02B1.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Zavvi must’ve received their allocation as they now have it listed on their various geographic websites. Here’s the U.K. link

Not only Zavvi, some french websites listed it with a release date for June 2022. (June 3 for the MoV and june 30 for the Mondo).

Seems June will be a big Hook month. The two vinyls (MoV and Mondo) and maybe something more?

I'd LOVE to see a new Hook expansion... does seem rather odd/unlikely that Mike was commissioned to work on an OST rebuild but the conversation never came up with either LLL or JW's team about doing a proper expansion at the same time.

But their comments last year were a bit perplexing. And Mike said the Mondo was assembled using the same transfers done in 2012 for the last LLL expansion. But clearly no new Hook expansion can happen without new transfers of the music that was sourced from film stems on the 2012 release (assuming first-generation elements have been located... if they were even "missing" in the first place).

So... who knows.

8 minutes ago, crumbs said:

And Mike said the Mondo was assembled using the same transfers done in 2012 for the last LLL expansion. But clearly no new Hook expansion can happen without new transfers of all the material that previously used film stems on the 2012 release.

Would the reels already transferred in 2012 need retransfering though?

12 minutes ago, Holko said:

Would the reels already transferred in 2012 need retransfering though?

Not sure. Let's say, hypothetically, a new expansion was assembled using a mix of transfers from 2011 and 2021/2022.

Has audio transfer technology improved enough in the last 10 years that there'd be a difference in audio quality? Or would it be literally the same tech from 10 years ago, rendering fresh transfers a pointless exercise?

And what was the resolution of those 2012 transfers? Can more detail be captured off those tapes now, in higher resolutions?

These are the sorts of nerdy tech questions I wish got more detail about. Especially when it comes to the state of the tapes themselves.

• 6 months later...