What orchestral colors/sounds do you associate with each JW score?

artguy360

For example, I love The Phantom Menace and for me I always think of the warm string writing that runs through the film, and especially the middle Tatooine portion. There's just some gorgeous, rich string writing in that score. TPM is known for its use of chorus, and I also really enjoy the bouncy percussion as opposed to the heavy, dramatic percussion in ROTS, but my first thought about TPM is always the lush, warm strings.

What are yours? What colors/sounds do you associate with different JW scores?

There are scores written for dramas, for comedies, for action movies, for children movies, for thrillers, horror, science-fiction and for historical movies too, etc.

I classify each JW score by "genre", I don't give them colors! :P

I don't listen to a comedy score when I don't want to hear light or "Michey-mousing" music and I don't listen to Thriller music when I want to relax! hehe

For me, The Lost World's Latin percussion is distinctive, giving it a different ("harder," "edgier"?) tone than the Jurassic Park score.

Then, the string/woodwinds of Angela's Ashes present a different, cooler color than The Phantom Menace's warm string tone @artguy360 mentioned in the original post.

In my mind the Star Wars scores have such a wide range in instrumentation, that I cannot associate one particular sound color with then. It just feels like they became each time a little bit more brassy. 

For those romantic or emotional scores like Always, Stepmon or Terminal the dominant sound color is this dreamy electronic keyboard which I always wished to be replaced by celeste or piano.