Which are the last 2 John Williams scores that you personally consider to be "masterpieces"?

Josh500

16 minutes ago, Holko said:

It also seemed to me like JW once again blew the climax apart and spread it all over.

The climax of the score is everything in between 6M54 Sophie's Future (heard in its entirety in OST track 12 Sophie's Future) and 6M58 Finale (heard in its entirety in OST track 18 Finale)

So that's:

1. 6M55 Giants and Bad Dreams, which we got in OST track 17 Giants Netted from 0:00-0:52
  2. 6M56 Giants Netted, which isn't on the OST album at all (despite track 17's name), and only 21 seconds of which was heard in the film, the rest replaced by tracked music from 3M22 (unreleased), 4M39 (OST track The Queen's Dream), and 3M25 (OST track Dream Country)
  3. 6M57 A Place Where No One Goes, which we got in OST track 17 Giants Netted from 0:52-end (with edits).  The film didn't use it, instead using:
  4. 6M57 Rev A Place Where No One Goes, heavily edited in the final cut

The big bummer is while you can hear all the music pretty well via the Blu Ray's rear channels, it's all completely covered in sound effects and vocals

JANE EYRE (1970) and IMAGES (1972) ;)

Okay, I'm being a little silly as I do consider many Williams scores afterwards to be masterpieces, but these two great scores demonstrate the full breadth of his talent, and IMO he has never topped them.

My real answer is probably A.I. and AZKABAN as others here have already said, although MEMOIRS and THE FORCE AWAKENS are very much almost at that level, for me.

Yavar

I will continue to beat the drum for BFG whenever it comes up because I truly believe it is a latter day masterpiece, only hampered in its appreciation by being attached to a pretty good (but not great) film.

I'm glad to see some people give it another shot. I always try to get back to scores that didn't click with me the first time, maybe every few months, just to see how it hits. I've found quite a few favorites that way.