HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2 SCORE THEMES

Thanks for doing this!

Yes indeed. There is such an elaborate tapestry of themes throughout all three of these scores. HTTYD 2 is actually my favorite of the three. The third score is a terrific maturation and leans into a more  longing/melancholic approach that fits the film like a glove. 

“Once There Were Dragons” was everything I ever wanted from the final cue in this series. Perfect send off.

1 hour ago, WampaRat said:

Thanks for doing this!

Yes indeed. There is such an elaborate tapestry of themes throughout all three of these scores. HTTYD 2 is actually my favorite of the three. The third score is a terrific maturation and leans into a more  longing/melancholic approach that fits the film like a glove. 

“Once There Were Dragons” was everything I ever wanted from the final cue in this series. Perfect send off.

Once There Were Dragons was the highlight of that year me. The way Powell uses old and new themes successively is nothing short of masterful. I think each of these scores build on the previous one in quality, complexity and maturity.

Diving into such great scores from Powell, it is really hard to get back to other light thematic scores from much less talented composers.