What Is The Best Film Score Of 1908

crumbs

Best film score of 1908  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best film score of 1908 among this list?

• Stenka Razin (Mikhail Ippolitov-Ivanov)
    • The Assassination of the Duke of Guise (Camille Saint-Saëns)
    • The Fairylogue and Radio-Plays (Nathaniel D. Mann)

When I saw this thread I immediatly thought to this track

Damn it's going to be long to reach 2003....

(if you can't play the video it's It's a long road from First Blood)

Camille Saint-Saens immediately understood name of the game in the nascent medium, the mixture of onscreen mickeymousing that went beyond the operatic standards, and knowing when to allow oneself to write music that played "over" the picture. All who don't know the guy should look him up.

Born 1835, died 1921, one of the greater child prodigies (he could play all Beethoven's sonatas from memory at the age of 10 as a party trick, and was one of Europe's best sight-readers, rivalling Liszt). He used to be quite modern (but not the most avant-garde) by the standards of the 1860s and 1870s, had an excellent sense of rhythm and a grasp of classical forms, and was certainly capable of adjusting to later trends, even somewhat anticipating them. In the last years of his life he was the doyen of French composers, respected even by those who decried his conservatism. Just like JW, a nature enthusiast and a very intelligent man. Among other things, he wrote some very neat dramatic and orientalist music, great music for harp, and excellent (and justly popular) miniature works, such as Danse Macabre and the Carnival of the Animals.

It's a shame that Williams never wrote for videogames. It would be a bit like Saint-Saens writing for film.

11 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

It's a shame that Williams never wrote for videogames. It would be a bit like Saint-Saens writing for film.

Well, JW has written a few scores for films. All who don't know them should look them up.

I agree, Fabulin. GUISE is impressive right out of the gate.

One can argue whether FAIRYLOGUE qualifies as an actual film. They projected film on a screen, but it was part of a more theatrical set-up, one piece out of many on the stage.

I'm not familiar with STENKA, but then I'm well aware this thread was created in jest.

• 10 months later...

I have a very general understanding of the early history of scores that were actually synchronized to on-screen action, but I'd love to know more.  Doug Adams should finally release his book about scores of the silent era.