James Horner's STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN (1982) - 2021 2-CD La-La Land Records Remastered Edition

Jay

The original CD and the LP were from the same album master I think.

The 2009 release had different reverb on the voiceover, and if I recall correctly, the timing was put in a different spot more in line with the film.

30 minutes ago, Datameister said:

That's the one thing that's better on the OST than the FSM release - the reverb on the Spock voiceover.

Uh oh. Will this now be incomplete because there are THREE versions? V/O Film, V/O LP, End title w/o voice over? Quadruple dip, here we come!

1 hour ago, OneBuckFilms said:

The original CD and the LP were from the same album master I think.

The 2009 release had different reverb on the voiceover, and if I recall correctly, the timing was put in a different spot more in line with the film.

Yeah, that was what Lukas told me last time.

Damn it, I'm going to have to go listen to my GNP and compare now, aren't I?

6 hours ago, NL197 said:

@Jay

Wait.  How did you get the sheet music?

I thought only the opening and closing tracks have leaked.

Fantastic mock-up, by the way.

It seems there were some motifs he intended to indicate the Reliant. Maybe? I thought of the end of Enterprise Clears Moorings, but that transitions to Regula doesn't it?

2 hours ago, bruckhorn said:

Wait.  How did you get the sheet music?

I thought only the opening and closing tracks have leaked.

Fantastic mock-up, by the way.

Thank you. 

The only answer I can give you is that I used to matter a tiny bit once. Maybe I will again one day, though I doubt it. 

Out of interest, has anyone had a shipping notice yet? I've not but also not convinced it won't just show up at my door in the next few days. Pretty sure that has happened to me with other LLL releases.

No shipping notice for me yet either, and I ordered the second it went on sale

Can't wait to check out these new videos when I have time later!

1 hour ago, Alan said:

Out of interest, has anyone had a shipping notice yet? I've not but also not convinced it won't just show up at my door in the next few days. Pretty sure that has happened to me with other LLL releases.

I was one of the first to order the Harry Potter boxset (in fact my order number was the earliest out of all the ones I've seen), yet apparently it's still "awaiting shipment". :lol:

25 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I was one of the first to order the Harry Potter boxset (in fact my order number was the earliest out of all the ones I've seen), yet apparently it's still "awaiting shipment". :lol:

Seriously?

No shipping for me yet. They do have this information on the front page text scroll so I recommend bearing it in mind:

SHIPPING NOTICE: Given the current pandemic crisis, please be patient with shipping. We are working steadily and safely, on a limited schedule according to local ordinances, to get orders out in a timely fashion.

Expect up to 7 business days from the date you place your order for it to ship from our warehouse and, then, we respectfully ask customers to wait up to 4 weeks to inquire about packages/deliveries not yet received. All such inquiries should be made to info@lalaland-ent.com – Thank you.

Please stay well and safe, everyone! We're doing the same here at LLL, following all business mandates & safety precautions, as we continue to take, process and ship online orders.

1 hour ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Ha! Same here!

1 hour ago, mahler3 said:

Neil S. Bulk (or IndySolo as he was once known here about 20 years ago!) and music director Deniz Cordell join me on tonight’s Movie Magic to talk about this release, and play Horner’s thematic ideas on piano. It’s a fun chat with lots of cues & insider Trek references you may enjoy. We’re on www. Belfast247Radio.com from 7-9pm (GMT)

I don't suppose this will be available on demand? That broadcast time is around 5am for me :(

Sounds like a lot of fun though! 

I went here: https://www.belfast247radio.com/

And clicked on "listen", and some kind of pop/dance music is playing.  Am I in the right place?

EDIT: Nevermind, it's starting now!

Started with a cue from the new Ghostbusters 2 album

Now playing Twister music!

Playing Abel Korzeniowski's score to Courier now

And now comes TWOK music!

Well, he said the discussion with Neil is coming up later.  Now they're on to DisneyNature documentaries

Now they are talking about The Wonder Years tv show

5 hours ago, Jay said:

No shipping notice for me yet either, and I ordered the second it went on sale

Perhaps they spotted the glitches (whatever they are) before shipping this time. ;) 

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Neil just indicated he's already seen the new HD versions of 3 and 4 and they are a big improvement over the old versions

iTunes Movies has the new masters for 1-3 and First Contact. They all look significantly better than the previous Blu-ray's. Much more filmic and detailed. Nice colours too.

5 minutes ago, NL197 said:

First Contact? Excellent. The Blu-ray for that, Generations and Insurrection look terrible, just as Voyage Home does especially (DNR'd to hell and back)

Yeah First Contact is definitely a new master. They still use the old one for the commentary tracks and the difference is instantly noticeable. Much less DNR on all of them that have been updated so far.

It was always strange to me, that whenever the Blu-ray bonus features cut to scenes from their films, they were HD, but without the DNR. Generations was obvious. It had grain and more natural colors in the extras than the film itself. 

That was a very cool conversation about the score, hopefully it is made available to download somewhere, somehow.

I just realized I probably could have recorded it myself!  It didn't even occur to me!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Tim just said it is limited to 10,000 copies due to "new Union rules".  What new union rules?  Does this impact post-2005 scores by any chance?

Does that mean that they wanted to be unlimited but could not? or that they were able to have an larger amount of units because of the new rules?

26 minutes ago, mahler3 said:

It means that the AFM aren’t charging more reuse fees for larger units. 5,000 used to be the max affordable limit.

That is a very interesting development... wouldn't that mean Intrada can reissue Jaws for another 5000 units without the tracklist changes they previously flagged?

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

I thought the first Jaws was already 10,000 like Black Sunday was? 

No idea. The listing on Intrada's website doesn't specify a quantity.

Right, none of Intrada's do, but I thought I remembered Roger saying the number in a post somewhere. I could be wrong. 

At least it shows the AFM are flexible with changing their policy, I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Doesn't help with the post-2005 issue though, which is what really needs to be fixed. I can't see that changing without a majority vote of members, or an entirely new agreement (neither scenario looks realistic in the foreseeable future).