Jump to content

James Horner's STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN (1982) - 2021 2-CD La-La Land Records Remastered Edition


Jay

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

 

She thinks you've got too many CDs?

Yes and she wants get rid of them becuase they take up too much space.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

 

She thinks you've got too many CDs?

My wife complains as well, when I get new CDs. But I am not sure if it is about the space or because she knows that I am actually going to play them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In this tiktok video you can see internal work on this new set, showing them listening to 10M1 Enterprise Attacks Reliant with

  • MIX L,C,R
  • EXTRA L,C,R
  • MOVIE REF L,C,R
  • FSM (stereo)

https://www.tiktok.com/@lalaland_records/video/7041678029780733189

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Those sales figures are stunning! Kudos to LLL for understanding their market and the demand for a remaster of this score.

 

Clearly Trek is a strong seller for them, or they wouldn't have so many ST titles!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Yes! I want my Animaniacs box set! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yes! I want my Animaniacs box set! 


holy crap yes that!

Ah to dream the impossible dream. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

MV says

 

"Out of stock. Gotta order some more. Won't be in stock until April

 

MV"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

OK so this is interesting!

 

As you know, this LLL set was primarily sourced from a new high-res transfer of a previously unavailable first generation 1/2" analog tape from 1982 that captured the live LCR mixes of every take of every cue.  However, the OST portion of this set was sourced from a new high-res transfer of the same second generation 1/2" tape that captured selected takes from the 1982 3M digital output that they used for the FSM CD.

 

Well, Neil and Mike have gone back and now rebuilt the OST album from that 1st generation element, and their new work is available as a 24bit 192khz download!

 

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/star-trek-ii-the-wrath-of-khan-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-james-horner/gn8r78sto7vwc

https://www.hdtracks.com/#/album/621ea3e12ac5dd24c17f9146

https://us.7digital.com/artist/james-horner/release/star-trek-ii-the-wrath-of-khan-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-20398124

 

This new rebuild might be available in standard def in some places too, but it can be hard to tell on other sites if its the old album master or this new one.  The way to tell the difference is track 1 runs 3:14 on this new rebuild and 3:08 on the old digital editions.

 

 

So now we can get "Battle in the Mutara Nebula" without the overlay in the same quality as the main program!  (Well, better quality, actually, lol)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

OK so this is interesting!

 

As you know, this LLL set was primarily sourced from a new high-res transfer of a previously unavailable first generation 1/2" analog tape from 1982 that captured the live LCR mixes of every take of every cue.  However, the OST portion of this set was sourced from a new high-res transfer of the same second generation 1/2" tape that captured selected takes from the 1982 3M digital output that they used for the FSM CD.

 

Well, Neil and Mike have gone back and now rebuilt the OST album from that 1st generation element, and their new work is available as a 24bit 192khz download!

 

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/star-trek-ii-the-wrath-of-khan-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-james-horner/gn8r78sto7vwc

https://www.hdtracks.com/#/album/621ea3e12ac5dd24c17f9146

https://us.7digital.com/artist/james-horner/release/star-trek-ii-the-wrath-of-khan-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-20398124

 

This new rebuild might be available in standard def in some places too, but it can be hard to tell on other sites if its the old album master or this new one.  The way to tell the difference is track 1 runs 3:14 on this new rebuild and 3:08 on the old digital editions.

 

 

So now we can get "Battle in the Mutara Nebula" without the overlay in the same quality as the main program!  (Well, better quality, actually, lol)

OK that's quite random but cool... released by Rhino Atlantic, yet another label!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's one of WMG's brands

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well this set looks great, the liner notes are awesome, and it mostly sounds... well, probably as great as this recording ever possibly can! Oh, and the score kicks ass too of course. :lol:

 

That said, I probably won't spend much more time comparing it with the FSM which I already have, in case I'll worry about the smartness of the decision to double dip. I do remember from the initial comparisons I did when it came out that I liked bits of Mutara better on that one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

Would anybody happen to know when La-La Land will be getting Wrath of Khan back in stock? Just saw that Intrada re-released Search for Spock, and I thought it might be good to grab both James Horner Trek scores and explore his earlier sci-fi work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Trope said:

Would anybody happen to know when La-La Land will be getting Wrath of Khan back in stock? Just saw that Intrada re-released Search for Spock, and I thought it might be good to grab both James Horner Trek scores and explore his earlier sci-fi work.


Good thought, and actually almost perfect timing! :) 

 

Yavar

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As is an excuse is needed to revisit these scores. :)

 

reissues are often great springboards to take another listen.

 

I'm revisiting Star Trek II on Blu-ray.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Hope this comes back in stock soon! Would anyone have any updates about when that might happen? On the earlier linked forum post, they said it would be back by the end of June, but that has not been the case. Is there a way to contact/ask someone from La-La Land directly? Many thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Having recently listened to the superb  Retrogade release, I still don't get what additional value an extra disc offered.

It's baffling😗

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Having recently listened to the superb  Retrogade release, I still don't get what additional value an extra disc offered.

It's baffling😗

 

Try going through Neil S. Bulk's discussion on ST II podcast here for what's new !

https://www.owltail.com/people/8FY8B-neil-s-bulk/appearances

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Having recently listened to the superb  Retrogade release, I still don't get what additional value an extra disc offered.

It's baffling😗

To my ears, this is a better sounding presentation, and includes more extras and the OST (with different edits / takes in some cues, very subtle). Not a huge leap, but the second disk allows for additional alternates, and the inclusion of the OST program.

 

For example, the OST program includes the Spock vocals for the Epilogue, and the Score program on CD 1 is just the music.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, OneBuckFilms said:

To my ears, this is a better sounding presentation, and includes more extras and the OST (with different edits / takes in some cues, very subtle). Not a huge leap, but the second disk allows for additional alternates, and the inclusion of the OST program.

 

For example, the OST program includes the Spock vocals for the Epilogue, and the Score program on CD 1 is just the music.

You can recreate the ost by reprogramming the cues- they even tell you how.

The minor edits are really not a reason to double dip.

But, hey! I am relatively sane! 😜😅

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, A. A. Ron said:

, the important thing is just that people who missed out on the Retrograde have a chance to own this wonderful score.

I get that, O'Shag Hennessy.

im just flabbergasted that folks felt the need to upgrade.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You wrote it yourself, “upgrade”.

 

And people considered remastering and additional versions of tracks enough of an upgrade to purchase it.

 

Why belittle them?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have no regrets on the double dip. And only tiny regrets on the double on TMP. I will NOT be purchasing TSFS again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I have no regrets on the double dip. And only tiny regrets on the double on TMP. I will NOT be purchasing TSFS again.

 

With TMP, I figured I'd just wait for the digital release since the biggest improvement was the rebuilt LP, but when the digital release finally came, the bastards at Paramount didn't even include it! I'm not going to spend $30 just for a better sounding copy of the LP when the entire third disc from the 2012 edition is missing. I hate that in order to have the ultimate collection of music from TMP you now need 2 different albums. That is the opposite of what I want from expanded soundtrack releases!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/7/2022 at 2:33 PM, bruce marshall said:

You can recreate the ost by reprogramming the cues- they even tell you how.

The minor edits are really not a reason to double dip.

But, hey! I am relatively sane! 😜😅

 

From the last line I inferred that you, who doesn’t see the need to procure this release, are relatively sane, thinks that people who purchase it are relatively insane.

I think that questioning people’s sanity due to buying a CD is belittling.  How does it measure their ability to interact in the communal reality?


Anyway, I would like to apologize to my fellow JWFan followers for my part in derailing this topic.

 

I like this new release.  I think I can hear spittle rattling in the French Horn valves.  And I can’t wait until Omni Music releases the conductor’s score for this.  (Will it include the cue that wasn’t recorded?)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, bruckhorn said:

And I can’t wait until Omni Music releases the conductor’s score for this.  (Will it include the cue that wasn’t recorded?)


Seems likely, since the ST:TMP score included all the alternate and unrecorded cues, as long as that manuscript can still be located.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Yay! This is back in stock and I ordered it. I'm looking forward to jumping into some Horner Trek.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a great release!  Glad it's available again

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.