James Horner's STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN (1982) - 2021 2-CD La-La Land Records Remastered Edition

Jay

Nice to see it back in print with such a large number. But will this decade mostly consist of the labels rerereissuing each others' stuff? :lol:

Probably a top 5 score of all time for me.....but what will be different with this release compared to the expanded/complete edition I already have?

Regardless.... I'm tempted.

Hi Guys,

Please excuse my novice comment.  When I hear the music from TWOK on DVD. I think some of the instruments sound more crisper.  Example if I am not that crazy, I think I can hear drums during the "Surprise Attack" at 2:08?  

:blush:

The Blu-ray and DVD for WOK do seem to be slightly cleaner for the music, but it may be partly due to the different dynamics for the movie's existing mix.

My understanding is that the STII expanded release uses the analogue mixdown they used for the film, so if the film itself sounds better, it implies some slow degradation of those tapes since 1982.

I might have to do a comparison myself.

13 minutes ago, OneBuckFilms said:

The Blu-ray and DVD for WOK do seem to be slightly cleaner for the music, but it may be partly due to the different dynamics for the movie's existing mix.

My understanding is that the STII expanded release uses the analogue mixdown they used for the film, so if the film itself sounds better, it implies some slow degradation of those tapes since 1982.

I might have to do a comparison myself.

Another stupid comment. To bad there wasn't an iso score to TWOK DVD. 

18 hours ago, OneBuckFilms said:

I'm curious, what is actually stupid about my speculative comment?

Sorry for the delay. No certainly not you  OneBuckFilms.  Only me I ask the stupid questions lol.  Thank you for replying to my original question. :)

Neil did say there were more tapes, and something recently about picking them from a spreadsheet (list of recorded assets in the studio archive, with "I'll have those please").

Bottom line for me: there are likley better sources tat were utilized for this release. I predict good things ... :)

I only really discovered it in the dying days of its availability, then when I went to the pull the trigger, they only had half a dozen copies left.

They vanished before I could complete the order.

Oh, I just realized I have the "1 CD" version, the FSM one.

I'm confused.

Do I need the new 2-CD release? :huh:

We don't know anything about it yet, other than the fact it says "remastered" on the cover and that Neil indicated new tapes were found on FSM.

Presumably, we're learn more about this stuff when the interview I mentioned here goes live.

The FSM edition is complete to the film, plus one early alternate.

It also has every cue from the OST, since the takes are the same, though they added the synth overlay in the Mutara Nebula battle cue (I think I prefer the cue without it, as it's more of an effect that was more of an afterthought).

The two reasons this release might be worth it:

- Sound improvements, almost a given.

- Additional content that was not presented on the FSM edition, though there may not be that much more to present.

I'll be getting it for the sonic upgrade alone.

Well, if I buy this one, I'll have to buy the future 2-CD (or 3!) reissue of the third film also....

This is endless!!!

9 minutes ago, OneBuckFilms said:

The FSM edition is complete to the film, plus one early alternate.

It also has every cue from the OST, since the takes are the same, though they added the synth overlay in the Mutara Nebula battle cue (I think I prefer the cue without it, as it's more of an effect that was more of an afterthought).

The two reasons this release might be worth it:

- Sound improvements, almost a given.

- Additional content that was not presented on the FSM edition, though there may not be that much more to present.

I'll be getting it for the sonic upgrade alone.

All that! The synth overlay is such a weird one since I don't imagine it's that noticeable above the effects in the film. The music may just as well stay out of the way.

Given the big sonic upgrade etc. for Trek 3, and the fact that it appears complete from the best masters we are aware of, I don't think an upgrade will ever be necessary.

However, one can never say never.

2 hours ago, OneBuckFilms said:

That release was a no-brainer for me. I went to an event in LA where Craig Huxley performed the Blaster Beam, and we heard from David Newman who played first violin on the score.

I'll always remember those LA events.

That was a really fun event. The audience reaction (including mine) with the early takes of the main title was great.

7 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

All that! The synth overlay is such a weird one since I don't imagine it's that noticeable above the effects in the film. The music may just as well stay out of the way.

The synth is actually over a section with no dialog and very few sound effects. It sounds like an effect itself. 

Neil S. Bulk says

Details about this album will be coming out around August 17. Keep an eye out at trekmovie.com, trekcore.com and jameshorner-filmmusic.com.

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=144745&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=1

Is it reasonable to expect anything tomorrow? I can never keep track of what label does what how. Like for Eiger we started getting things like track lists a few days early. Heck, the CD went on sale on Monday! (That seemed unusual.)

24 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Is it reasonable to expect anything tomorrow? I can never keep track of what label does what how. Like for Eiger we started getting things like track lists a few days early. Heck, the CD went on sale on Monday! (That seemed unusual.)

I wouldn't be completely surprised if we got some sort of article on it from trekcore or the like tomorrow, but the most definite thing is the order page going live sometime tuesday late afternoon or evening

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

Is it reasonable to expect anything tomorrow? I can never keep track of what label does what how.

LLL gives us the flyer on the first of each month, then no other information until their email newsletter goes out overnight the day of release (so in this case: late Monday night / early Tuesday morning).  That email newsletter contains the tracklist and press release blurb for each title going up for sale that day.

The only time we get information sooner than that is if they elect to let another website debut information early, such as what JWFan did for Minority Report or Planetary Union did for The Orville, for example.

in this particular case, Neil Bulk already told us 3 sites that will have info up:

"Details about this album will be coming out around August 17. Keep an eye out at trekmovie.com, trekcore.com and jameshorner-filmmusic.com."

We have no way of knowing if any of those articles will go up before the newsletter or not.  We just have to wait and see.

Like for Eiger we started getting things like track lists a few days early.

Because I asked Roger if he'd be willing to let JWFan debut the tracklist (and sample track and liner notes sample) early, and he said yes

Heck, the CD went on sale on Monday! (That seemed unusual.)

Intrada has released titles every other Monday night for at least a decade, presumably more

Are you on their email mailing list?  Usually the night before a new release they send an email with all of the details for the new release(s) as well as any of their prior releases going on sale.  I expect they will do the same tomorrow night.