James Horner's STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN (1982) - 2021 2-CD La-La Land Records Remastered Edition

Jay

STAR TREK II – THE WRATH OF KHAN: LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET)
LLLCD 1582
Music by James Horner
Limited Edition of 10000 Units
RETAIL PRICE: $29.98

STARTS SHIPPING AUGUST 17

Order yours starting August 17 at 12 noon (pst) at www.lalalandrecords.com

StarTrekII_WraqthOfKhan_Web.jpgLa-La Land Records, Paramount Pictures and Atlantic Records proudly present a limited edition, remastered 2- CD release of legendary composer James Horner’s (FIELD OF DREAMS, GLORY, TITANIC) original motion picture score to the classic 1982 sci-fi blockbuster STAR TREK II – THE WRATH OF KHAN, starring William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy and DeForest Kelley, and directed by Nicholas Meyer. Considered to be one of James Horner’s finest scores, this deluxe reissue showcases this masterwork sounding better-than-ever and expanded with previously unreleased alternate tracks. Disc One features the score presentation, while Disc Two presents the re-mastered 1982 Original Soundtrack Album and additional music.

Produced by Neil S. Bulk and Mike Matessino, and re-mixed and mastered by Mike Matessino, this special 2-CD release is limited to 10000 units and features art design by Jim Titus. Disc One, and the additional score tracks on Disc Two, have been re-edited and remixed in hi-res from newly discovered 1st generation analog 3-track stereo tapes. The original soundtrack album has been newly remixed from digital-to-analog 3-track stereo tapes made in 1982.

The exclusive, in-depth liner notes by writer and musical director/conductor Deniz Cordell feature new comments from Sara Horner, Nicholas Meyer, producer Robert Sallin, former Paramount Music President Joel Sill, and longtime Horner collaborators Jim Henrikson and J.A.C. Redford.

TRACK LISTING:

Disc 1 65:52
Score Presentation
1. Main Title* 3:11
2. Surprise On Ceti Alpha V :48
3. Khan’s Pets 4:23
4. The Eels Of Ceti Alpha V / Kirk In Space Shuttle* 3:57
5. Enterprise Clears Moorings 3:36
6 .Chekov Lies* :43
7. Spock 1:13
8. Kirk Takes Command* / He Tasks Me 2:12
9. Surprise Attack 5:10
10. Kirk’s Explosive Reply 4:05
11. Inside Regula One 1:51
12. Brainwashed 1:27
13. Captain Terrell’s Death 2:01
14. Buried Alive 1:00
15. The Genesis Cave 1:13
16. Battle In The Mutara Nebula (Film Version) 8:11
17. Enterprise Attacks Reliant 1:34
18. Genesis Countdown (Film Version) 6:38
19. Spock And Kirk* 1:56
20. Amazing Grace 1:29
21. Epilogue* / End Title* (Film Version) 8:45

Disc 2 72:33
Original Soundtrack Album

1. Main Title* 3:10
2. Surprise Attack 5:10
3. Spock 1:14
4. Kirk’s Explosive Reply 4:05
5. Khan’s Pets 4:22
6. Enterprise Clears Moorings 3:37
7. Battle In The Mutara Nebula 8:11
8. Genesis Countdown 6:37
9. Epilogue* / End Title* 8:44
Total Original Album Time: 45:09

Additional Music
10. Genesis Project** 3:14
11. The Eels Of Ceti Alpha V (Discrete) 2:41
12. Kirk In Space Shuttle* (Discrete) 1:22
13. Kirk Takes Command* (Proposed Album Take) 1:43
14. Buried Alive (Alternate Take) 1:02
15. Amazing Grace (Alternate) 1:33
16. Epilogue* / End Title* (Alternate) 7:33
17. Wild Orchestra 1:37
18. Amazing Grace (Alternate Bagpipes) 1:30
19. Theme Of Star Trek II* (Edited End Title) 4:51

Total Additional Music Time: 27:24
Total Collection Time: 2:18:25

*Contains Theme From Star Trek (TV Series) by Alexander Courage and Gene Roddenberry
** Composed and Performed by Craig Huxley

Disc 1 all previously released, OST mostly the same. Genesis Project, Ep/End T alternate previously released. Eels, Kirk just the same takes not joined. Theme just an edit. 2 alternate takes that judging by the name aren't actually really different. AG alternate bagpipe is the wrong key take. So all that's left is Wild Orchestra and Amazing Grace Alternate. Other than those two, the new source is the only real draw. Will have to see the samples.

I’ve only ever had the original 45-minute GNP CD, so the track Genesis Project has always intrigued me. Craig Huxley is the Blaster Beam guy, but I can’t hear that instrument’s distinctive sound in the film.

At the risk of seeming to be completely cloth-eared, can someone tell me exactly where in the film I can hear the cue? It’s mentioned in the credits, so it must be in there somewhere …

Thanks,

Mark

Super excited for this (along with pretty much everyone else here!). One of my favourite Horner (if not absolutely favourite), Trek (second only to TMP, of course) and all time scores. Certainly thrilled to be able to hear it in hopefully significantly improved sound.

At the risk of going all Frasier Crane about it ("nothing better than a perfect meal than a perfect meal with one tiny thing you can pick at all night"), if I read it correctly, the original score tracks are from first generation masters, but the soundtrack programme isn't...? Given that, as per the lengthy conversations here and at FSM, aside from the synth overlay in Battle in the Mutara Nebula and minor differences, the soundtrack takes are those used in the film. Maybe all will be explained but it seems a bit odd that the tapes available are different for the soundtrack programme to the original score programme (unlike, say ET etc. where the album is a different recording).

"Details about this album will be coming out around August 17. Keep an eye out at trekmovie.com, trekcore.com and jameshorner-filmmusic.com."

Just checked all 3 sites.  Nothing yet.

The only thing that would make this release more perfect would be to have both 2 and 3 presented on four discs. I believe that one is also OOP? To me, they are one long score and can easily be enjoyed back to back. 

Karol

7 minutes ago, crocodile said:

The only thing that would make this release more perfect would be to have both 2 and 3 presented on four discs. I believe that one is also OOP? To me, they are one long score and can easily be enjoyed back to back. 

Karol

Star Trek: The James Horner Soundtrack Collection.

I like it!

Agreed. We've got complete scores for all the film's. New reissues of those complete scores apparently starting up (if there's anything to be done with the others?) and an embarrassment of riches when it comes to the TV scores.

Best treated franchise in terms of music releases?

6 hours ago, QuartalHarmony said:

I’ve only ever had the original 45-minute GNP CD, so the track Genesis Project has always intrigued me. Craig Huxley is the Blaster Beam guy, but I can’t hear that instrument’s distinctive sound in the film.

At the risk of seeming to be completely cloth-eared, can someone tell me exactly where in the film I can hear the cue? It’s mentioned in the credits, so it must be in there somewhere …

Thanks,

Mark

Genesis Countdown is what plays under Carl Marcus' Genesis presentation. You may have thought it was sound effects. The really prominent blaster beam section is not used in the film.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Wowww! This looks INCREDIBLE! Release of the year so far!!!! 

"newly discovered 1st generation analog 3-track stereo tapes." :lovethis:

Even with Eiger? That's a bold statement.

In a lot of ways this is the album that I've already edited together but with better sources and more alternates. I mean, of course I'm buying it!

18. Genesis Countdown (Film Version) 6:38 - Wait, what? There's some editing that I've noticed around the time Kirk says "I need warp speed in three minutes..." but I would have thought that would have made the track shorter! Interesting.

It's curious that they changed Spock (Dies) to Spock and Kirk. And I'll be very interested to hear Kirk Takes Command* (Proposed Album Take). They were very careful to not just call it "Discrete".

I wonder how Theme Of Star Trek II* (Edited End Title) is edited. In my edit I took the opening titles and transitioned to the End Titles when it goes into Spock's theme.

I guess this one really is going to come down to the samples for me. The new material alone isn't enough to justify the triple dip right now. But if the remaster is a big enough improvement over the FSM release, I won't be able to resist. (And I'm sure I'll be able to wholeheartedly encourage anyone who missed the FSM release to pick this up; the OST just sounds awful.)

2 hours ago, Jay said:

"Details about this album will be coming out around August 17. Keep an eye out at trekmovie.com, trekcore.com and jameshorner-filmmusic.com."

Just checked all 3 sites.  Nothing yet.

One of them is up now!

https://jameshorner-filmmusic.com/unexpected-new-edition-of-star-trek-ii-from-la-la-land-our-exclusive-review/

The article includes a picture of the back cover

ST2_LLL_20211_light.jpg

And pictures of the booklet and disc art as well!

Just now, Jay said:

image.png

Gotta love these ancient sites and forums with no security upgrades!

Just to clarify, the Finale on disc 1 doesn't have the Spock dialogue like the FSM version, right? 

Is that present on the OST version instead? Not familiar with that assembly at all. 

Just now, Naïve Old Fart said:

In regards to the back cover: what does "discrete" mean?

In the main program, the cues "The Eels of Ceta Alpha V" and "Kirk In Space Shuttle" are combined into one long track with an overlap.

In the bonus track section, each cue is presented with a clean ending / opening in their own tracks, if one prefers to hear either cue without the other one being attached to it.

They must have been told to release it at 12:00 PST, but released it at 12:00 EST instead and then were asked to take it down.  I'm sure it'll be back

1 minute ago, Jay said:

They must have been told to release it at 12:00 PST, but released it at 12:00 EST instead and then were asked to take it down.  I'm sure it'll be back

It will be back, but Nick Meyer won't do it.

From the looks of it, they did everything right for this release.  There's a handful of scores that you just have to buy every upgrade, and this is one of them.

I sure wish the original reels for Jaws would magically turn up like this.

1 minute ago, Hedji said:

From the looks of it, they did everything right for this release.  There's a handful of scores that you just have to buy every upgrade, and this is one of them.

I sure wish the original reels for Jaws would magically turn up like this.

The source for the Jaws expansion (both of them - the Decca and Intrada) were the original reels!

Unless you're talking about the album re-recording, in which case YES!  That's be great!  I wonder if any additional selections were recorded at that session then dropped, like with Eiger...

While I would not buy every upgrade, this upgrade is warranted based on the 1st generation analog tapes, the additional material and presentation quality.

This looks like it was done absolutely correctly in every was I can think of.