James Horner's STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN (1982) - 2021 2-CD La-La Land Records Remastered Edition

Jay

A Bubble envelope holding 2 CDs doesn't fit in your mail box?  That's where mine was.  Or did yours get put in a box?

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

A Bubble envelope holding 2 CDs doesn't fit in your mail box?  That's where mine was.  Or did yours get put in a box?

Letter boxes in doors over here. Just little flaps. Also got it in a padded envelope but it was too thick to go through the letterbox.

My postman gives me a missed call once the package arrives. I then tell him to proceed and deliver to my house where our house help will receive it. Or if the wife is in a bad mood then I have it held up in the post office and collect it myself in person. And yes I occasionally tip the guy. 

13 minutes ago, karelm said:

I'm actually surprised the sound isn't better.  It's great to relive these cues but for a "remastered edition", I think these could be better.  ... the sound stage is extremely close mic'ed.  Not a great sound. 

That's Dan Wallin for ya.

Update from LLL via email:

SHIP DELAY KHAN ORDER NUMBERS 226750 AND HIGHER

NOTE: STAR TREK II - THE WRATH OF KHAN orders with an order number 226750 or HIGHER - your order can't ship out until we receive re-stock, which has been delayed by the factory. We expect re-stock within two weeks and your order will ship as soon as they arrive. Sorry for the delay and we appreciate your patience and support. (Customers with order numbers below 226750 - your orders are either currently shipping out, or already have)

Stoked to hear it's selling well, but I hope this doesn't affect people who made orders at other retailers (like Intrada or MBR).

They're still awaiting stock and it's been nearly two weeks since it started selling at LLL. Did they retain all stock from that first batch to sell themselves?

Haven't listened to this yet but read the liner notes and they're really great indeed. The FSM set had more traditional write-up and this is more of an essay. But clearly done by a musicians and very exciting to read as such. Insightful.

Karol

I actually just read the FSM liner notes last night, and they were wonderful!  In my opinion neither is better or more important than the other, they overlap very little and each provides lot of interesting information.  The FSM provides a lot more about the making of the film itself and the recording of the score, while the LLL provides a lot more about all the recurring elements of the score

I also flipped through the GNP OST CD, and it's kinda funny, there's a brief blurb going over Horner's career talking about his "new score" for Field of Dreams, and then 2 entire pages are just wall-to-wall text describing the plot of the entire film.

I listened to the film score presentation this morning and it does indeed sound different from the other two albums. Not as harsh anymore, and definitely more spacious (pun intended). I could definitely hear new details in the recording and it helped me to better appreciate Horner's intricate musical architecture. It's a very well structured score indeed.

I wonder whether they're going to redo The Search for Spock as well? And, most importantly, whether there is any way that one can be expanded upon, or improved in terms of sound. I can't remember what was the source for the FSM release.

Karol

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

I wonder whether they're going to redo The Search for Spock as well? And, most importantly, whether there is any way that one can be expanded upon, or improved in terms of sound. I can't remember what was the source for the FSM release.

I hope they can't because I don't feel like buying all six films again.

4 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I listened to the score a little bit on YouTube and the main theme reminded me a lot of the Krull main theme.

Anyone else same impression?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Yea people have been saying that for forty years. Of course, ST2 came first! 

Stop exaggerating Jay. It's only 38. :D

If you just play the melodies without the obviously similar orchestrations and flourishes do they really sound that much alike? I mean, sure the moment we heard Krull we said "Hey, it's that Star Trek II guy!"

44 minutes ago, Jay said:

ST2 came first! 

That's interesting. I got to know Horner with Krull and was not aware that he scored such a big production before and I didn't watch Wrath of Kahn at the time. Somehow I had enough from TMP.

Star Trek 3 wasn't recorded with the goofy 3M system Star Trek 2 was, so IIRC the FSM expansion was already sourced from great 1st generation analog.  Since they had a two disc set to play with on that one its unlikely they left off any alternates or unused music and I don't know if a new transfer of the same element and redoing it all over would result in much of a difference.

But who knows!

I suppose they could just repress it for people who missed it. To me, these two scores are one two-hour work. I like how the Spock material blossoms as the story progresses. 

But yes, the sound on the FSM set was absolutely fine. 

Karol

Oh yea, I could see LLL having picked up the license for 2 and 3 at the same time and planning on reissuing both.  From Neil's interviews and articles, he had no idea better elements for Trek 2 existed until after he got the material at his house, he thought it was going to be a relatively minor upgrade, so they might be doing an actual minor upgrade for 3.

IIRC, Neil said he suggested Star Trek II to fill a gap in the release schedule, since he wanted to revisit the score and revise it, then came across the elements listed among the digitized resources on the spreadsheet of available elements.

This tells me that Star Trek III is probably not planned for a revisit. This could easily change based on feedback from this release of course.

16 minutes ago, OneBuckFilms said:

IIRC, Neil said he suggested Star Trek II to fill a gap in the release schedule, since he wanted to revisit the score and revise it, then came across the elements listed among the digitized resources on the spreadsheet of available elements.

No.  He didn't know the better elements existed until after LLL already had the license and it's release window was set. 

When work began on this new Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan soundtrack in January 2021, I expected to get the same tapes that were used for the previous expanded release, an album co-producer Mike Matessino and I worked on in 2009.

https://blog.trekcore.com/2021/08/remastered-star-trek-ii-wrath-of-khan-soundtrack/

“If Genesis is indeed ‘life from death,’ I must return to this place again.”

Good words, and maybe–just maybe–they were in the back of soundtrack producer Neil S. Bulk’s mind when he found out there was a hole in La-La Land Records’ CD release schedule.

“I had thrown out some suggestions,” he said in a recent phone interview with TrekMovie, “and Trek II was one I’d wanted to revisit.”

As it turns out, a surprise awaited him when he requested the master tapes from the studio. “I thought we were going to get the exact same tapes as last time,” he said. “I thought, ‘I know what the inventory is, we’re gonna get these tapes and I can get this done very quickly.’ And what happened was Paramount found a lot more tapes—and it turns out they were the recording sessions. Last time we had selected takes. This time I had the recording session.”

https://trekmovie.com/2021/08/17/la-la-land-releases-expanded-remastered-of-star-trek-ii-the-wrath-of-khan-soundtrack/

“I did not know about the new tapes when the project started. Paramount has a preservation project going on so all of the tapes had already been transferred and it was a matter of looking at a spreadsheet and asking for specific barcodes. It wasn't a detailed list, but I knew I wanted the 1/2" tapes. When I put them in Pro Tools that's when I realized we had more tapes then last time.

https://jameshorner-filmmusic.com/unexpected-new-edition-of-star-trek-ii-from-la-la-land-our-exclusive-review/

Which is why I said maybe LLL picked up both licenses at the same time.  But who knows.

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

No.  He didn't know the better elements existed until after LLL already had the license and it's release window was set. 

Isn't that what he meant? That the original reason for this release wasn't the existence of better elements, that revelation came later?

My understanding of the events leading up to what we have:

- LLL had a gap in their release schedule, and Neil chimed in with the idea of revisiting ST2, which everyone liked.

- Once the contracts / agreements / process was started, Neil got the spreadsheet detailing available elements, and he picked what he thought were the previously used masters.

- Upon hearing the elements, he realized what they were and the rest is history ...

18 minutes ago, Holko said:

Isn't that what he meant? That the original reason for this release wasn't the existence of better elements, that revelation came later?

I guess I misunderstood.  Apologies!

14 minutes ago, OneBuckFilms said:

My understanding of the events leading up to what we have:

- LLL had a gap in their release schedule, and Neil chimed in with the idea of revisiting ST2, which everyone liked.

- Once the contracts / agreements / process was started, Neil got the spreadsheet detailing available elements, and he picked what he thought were the previously used masters.

- Upon hearing the elements, he realized what they were and the rest is history ...

Right, but all I'm trying to say is, he might have suggested ST2 AND 3, but in all the interviews he is only saying that he suggested ST2, because 3 isn't announced yet.

But again, who knows.  Just idly speculatin'

Just pointing this out: Star Trek III has different licensing requirements. Maybe it could have been mentioned to Paramount in the same breath with revisiting II, but the original album program to III is owned in perpetuity by a completely different record label than II...

Yavar

My thinking was that at some point the labels would want to try and keep these in print for awhile. 

I didn’t realize until I saw Neil’s comments this was a “spur of the moment” project.

I do remember when II came out in 2009 (out of nowhere) Lukas posted something like "A lot of you are asking if we might do III like we hadn't thought of it. We have and there is a lot of different people involved and we're just happy we have II." (That's a total paraphrase from a 12 year old memory and didn't I sound JUST like Lukas?)

I still look back on that as the start of a truly remarkable ride.

KHAN -- we were so surprised by the orders on this one. Our first batch sold so quickly via our website all wholesale orders had to be delayed....and now orders on our website are delayed. We are hoping to get our second batch in stock by Mid Sept so we can start shipping them out to our customers and our esteemed Wholesale partners

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=145068&forumID=1&archive=0

2 hours ago, Tallguy said:

My condolences to those of you waiting. It is worth the wait. 

I don't mind. This will be ordered with GLORY. Save me some shipping charges. 

It is a very nice upgrade indeed. The score will never sound as outstanding as some other recordings from the same year but you can definitely hear an improvement. The presentation is pretty much perfect and the packaging and liner notes are great too. Happy to have this. 

Karol

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this update on LLL website today about STAR TREK II:

UPDATE: We greatly apologize for the wait on WRATH OF KHAN shipments, as this delay was unexpected. We expect re-stock by month's end, if not before. If KHAN is only a portion of your overall current order, and you wish us to get that out to you now (and send KHAN separately later) please let us know at info@lalaland-ent.com

We will finally have the second batch arriving Monday. We have so many back orders, both on our website and with our wholesale friends that we will NOT be putting this back on the website to purchase until we get in the 3rd batch which will not be until mid to late October.

MV

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=145273&forumID=1&archive=0

Now THAT is impressive sales!

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Today I received some bad news from our Manufacturer of Star Trek 2 Wrath of Khan. Due to supply issues and Covid regulations that have impacted the pressing plant we will NOT be receiving our next batch of Wrath of Khan discs until Nov 20th or later. Of course should they miraculously arrive earlier we will let you guys know.

We will do our best to get more units in before the Holidays, but we are at the mercy of the Manufacturer and a worldwide poopy-storm.

MV

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=144744&forumID=1&archive=0

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/08/2021 at 9:19 PM, Alan said:

Probably thought it was the safest place for it if none of my neighbours were in to take delivery for me.

IMG_20210827_201659__01.jpg

That's harsh. I wouldn't go as far as saying the score is thrash!

On 27/08/2021 at 10:15 PM, Amer said:

Or if the wife is in a bad mood then I have it held up in the post office and collect it myself in person.

Out of curiosity, what would potentially happen if the package was delivered to the wife when in a bad mood?

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

That's harsh. I wouldn't go as far as saying the score is thrash!

Out of curiosity, what would potentially happen if the package was delivered to the wife when in a bad mood?

A lecture!!!!  and I have to pay a ransom by getting her something in return.