JW Jurassic Park Collection vs DE Batman Collection

WampaRat

Williams Jurassic Park Collection vs. Elfman’s Batman Collection  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Which music set do you prefer overall?

• The John Williams Jurassic Park Collection
    • The Danny Elfman Batman Collection

Two stellar sets produced by LaLa Land, The John Williams Jurassic Park Collection and the Danny Elfman Batman Collection. Each set containing an iconic first score in their respective franchises followed by fantastic sequel scores which took things in slightly different directions for each series.

Considering each set as a whole, which one do you prefer?

The Batman Returns expansion was a score I wanted since I was a very young child. For that reason alone, I voted TDEBC. I think the John Williams set is better mastered and better produced and the track assembly is better as well, but I listen to that DE expansion way more still.

I would rather have Batman Returns in my collection than either Jurassic Park, not for any other reason than sheer love and bias, although I do think it is an accomplished score. Jurassic Park is easily one of my all-time favorites. I consider it beyond reproach, but I didn't spend years in front of my TV watching the Penguin save a baby for nothing.

I confess the that mixing/recording of Batman Returns has always turned me off a tad to that score. Especially going from listening to Batman ‘89 with the Symphonia London. Returns sounds much smaller and “tinny” in comparison.  

Question: is it possible to solve some of those recording issues by adding a bit more echo/reverb via something like audacity? Would that help it sound a bit “larger”?

The JP box is waaaaaaay up there on my list of favorites, so...yeah, it wins easily.

I did recently pick up the Batman box and I've been enjoying it too. My ears still get a little tired with the second score, though.

• 2 weeks later...

I voted for the Jurassic Park set.  To be fair to the Elfman set, if La La Land hadn't already released expanded versions of Batman and Batman Returns individually it might be a closer call.  Batman definitely got a sonic upgrade, but the additional music added for JP and Lost World makes this an easy choice.