THE EIGER SANCTION (1975) - 2021 2-CD Expanded Edition from Intrada Records

Jay

Awesome! Heard this one direly needed improvement and expanding, but never heard anything from it. Looking forward to discovering it! Film score plus the rerecorded OST, must be 2CDs, right?

That cover art... seems to copy the OST but gets the font, the colour wrong... wait, does it even cut Clint's foot off with the overscaled art going under a white-filled text box? Come on! Can't Intrada just give up their nepotism/overloyalty and their stupid art formula/template and give Titus and the like a go? Didn't we once hear that JW wanted all his scores to be done by Mike and have Titus art?The Eiger Sanction | LP Cover Art

What a surprise!!. This now will complete a major gap in my collection.

btw @Jay we both posted at the same time on FSM although I think I posted first. But great news Nevertheless.

Great news! Would have preferred to get a 90s or 2000s score but I guess this is fine, another gem to discover :) 

4 minutes ago, Holko said:

That cover art... seems to copy the OST but gets the font, the colour wrong... wait, does it even cut Clint's foot off with a white-filled text box? Come on!

Oh yeah this is really really bad, I didn't notice it at first but the foot is indeed cut for absolutely no reason here... :conf:

Too bad Jim Titus isn't working for Intrada, this cover art from Kay Marshall (I suppose?) looks very amateurish  :angry:

Is it likely to be a 1 CD release like Monsignor or The River? I'm not really that familiar with the score so can't say how much is missing.

Karol

AWESOME! I've seen the film a few times; good film. I never had the original soundtrack album. Looking forward to getting this. Man, this year has been great when it comes to the Maestro. Images, Always, Violin Concerto No. 2, and now this. Looking forward to more.

44 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Is it likely to be a 1 CD release like Monsignor or The River? I'm not really that familiar with the score so can't say how much is missing.

Karol

FWIW, Roger's pre-announcements have indicated when its a 2-CD or 4-CD set all year long.

IE,

The rest of the pre-announcements this year that didn't have such an indication all ended up being 1CD releases

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

The rest of the pre-announcements that didn't have such an indication all ended up being 1CD releases

It came out last year but I remember that Roger's announcement for War of the Worlds didn't indicate it was a 2-CD set!

I know you've been waiting for this, Jay, so congrats!

I'm obviously content with the old CD, but this is a reminder that I haven't seen the film in many years. Perhaps it's time for a revisit.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

If anyone wants to sample just 5 quick tracks from the OST album to get a feel for the score before otherwise waiting for the new Intrada version, I'd go with:

01 Main Title

05 Friends And Enemies

09 Theme From The Eiger Sanction (Hemlock & Jemima)

03 Fifty Miles of Desert

06 The Top of the World

I just deleted my mp3 folder.

I will wait for the CD!

:pfft:

27 minutes ago, Jay said:

The film has aged very poorly.  Lots of problematic elements in it.  And, it's just kinda boring, predictable, and cliched.

But the score is great.

Yes, the film is a bit hokey, but I do remember some individual set pieces that were kinda good.

43 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yes, the film is kinda hokey, but I do remember some individual set pieces that were kinda good.

The third act is the best part.  Once they actually get to Switzerland, most of the film's problems are gone and it's a mostly compelling conclusion at that point.  The cinematography is great there too

41 minutes ago, Bespin said:

If I remember well, this score is from the "harpsichord" period of John Williams.

Ha!

There is harpsichord, indeed!  Nothing on the level of Family Plot though :)

I love the playfulness of the training cues and some of the suspense cues have hints of what’s to come with CE3K.

I’m happy to pitch my original album.

56 minutes ago, Thor said:

I know you've been waiting for this, Jay, so congrats!

I'm obviously content with the old CD, but this is a reminder that I haven't seen the film in many years. Perhaps it's time for a revisit.

Oh Thor! You’re going to miss out on the considerably improved sound quality! Not to mention the new music. I’ll never understand your mindset but that’s life.

Now where’s that ejector seat button? ;-)

22 minutes ago, mahler3 said:

Oh Thor! You’re going to miss out on the considerably improved sound quality! Not to mention the new music. I’ll never understand your mindset but that’s life.

I'll probably sample the new release, but if I'm going to rebuy because of improved sound quality, it would have to be because the first release is "ruined" somehow - like the RAIN MAN situation. I like the slightly compressed, dated sound of the original CD; fits the type of music very well. In fact, if I ever were to get this in another physical format (which I won't), it would be the original LP.

6 minutes ago, carlborg said:

So is this done by MM?

Unannounced as of yet, but back in 2015 MM indicated here that he will do all future JW expansions.

The music business has evolved to the point where boutique label soundtrack reissues, which were not even blips on the radar years ago, are now big blips. After doing 1941 for La-La Land Records there were a series of conversations which ultimately led to new lines of communications opening and methodologies being put in place when we started Empire of the Sun and A.I. Artificial Intelligence. Working on adjusting the music and sound mix for Mr. Spielberg’s extended version of 1941 last year (and hosting the big screening event we did of it last March) helped solidify things. So a natural synergy just fell into place where I have been assigned to take care of all of the restorations and reissues and deal with all of the Williams & Spielberg approvals. The Back to the Future trilogy got added to the mix at the same time, as Bob Gale was spearheading that and as Alan Silvestri is represented by the same people as John Williams. So it’s become a process of working as part of a team where my job is to preserve the music and present it as definitely as possible and with the approval of the artists.