THE EIGER SANCTION (1975) - 2021 2-CD Expanded Edition from Intrada Records

Jay

11 minutes ago, Thor said:

I like the slightly compressed, dated sound of the original CD

I don't mind listening to old recordings of good music and interesting performances, but I prefer that modern technology has been put to use to make it sound as good as possible.

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

I don't mind listening to old recordings of good music and interesting performances, but I prefer that modern technology has been used to make it sound as good as possible.

Not necessarily. There are certain types of sound that fit certain types of music. I don't subscribe to the notion that everything "old" needs to be run through contemporary tweaking techniques to sound as clean and modern as possible. The baroque jazz melancholy on display in EIGER befits a slightly muffled or high treble sound.

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

Not necessarily. There are certain types of sound that fit certain types of music. I don't subscribe to the notion that everything "old" needs to be run through contemporary tweaking techniques to sound as clean and modern as possible. The baroque jazz melancholy on display in EIGER befits a slightly muffled or high treble sound.

I didn't necessarily mean that the ultimate goal is to make it sound as close as possible to a modern recording. There's different views about this among sound engineers working with old recordings, and some prefer to clean up the sound while keeping the old sound characteristics, which I think is a perfectly viable viewpoint.

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

I didn't necessarily mean that the ultimate goal is to make it sound as close as possible to a modern recording. There's different views about this among sound engineers working with old recordings, and some prefer to clean up the sound while keeping the old sound characteristics, which I think is a perfectly viable viewpoint.

Indeed, it's a longstanding debate - also beyond film music and soundtrack albums.

1 minute ago, Holko said:

I hope it runs at the wrong speed, but inconsistently, that always spices this genre up.

Nothing is more vintage than that sound effect, great idea!

It happened on vinyls where the hole was not exactly at the center. WEOOOW... WEOWW... WEOOWWW...

3 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Nothing is more vintage than that sound effect, great idea!

It happened on vinyls where the hole was not exactly at the center. WEOOOW... WEOWW... WEOOWWW...

Center holes are tight!

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Center holes are tight!

Off Center Pressings on Vinyl LPs: What is it and how can you correct it?

(I hate vinyls, it's a medium that belongs to my the PAST)

This is just terrific.  Been waiting for what seems like forever to fill this gap.  I've never given it a proper listen, so.. yay!

I wonder, is 46 years the longest time that has passed between a JW score's recording and the first time it was re-visited for a catalog album?

And also, what scores by other composers took even longer?  I know Bride of Frankenstein is way up that list...

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

I wonder, is 46 years the longest time that has passed between a score's recording and the first time it was re-visited for a catalog album?

The Rhino Wizard of Oz was 56 years after the movie.

Bride of Frankenstein took 84 years.

3 hours ago, Holko said:

Awesome! Heard this one direly needed improvement and expanding, but never heard anything from it. Looking forward to discovering it! Film score plus the rerecorded OST, must be 2CDs, right?

That cover art... seems to copy the OST but gets the font, the colour wrong... wait, does it even cut Clint's foot off with the overscaled art going under a white-filled text box? Come on! Can't Intrada just give up their nepotism/overloyalty and their stupid art formula/template and give Titus and the like a go? Didn't we once hear that JW wanted all his scores to be done by Mike and have Titus art?The Eiger Sanction | LP Cover Art

I agree, this is a bit of a bummer.  The OST art was perfect.  No need to change the key art or font.  Makes me want to pick up the Varese for cheap after this is out.

26 minutes ago, Holko said:

The Rhino Wizard of Oz was 56 years after the movie.

Bride of Frankenstein took 84 years.

Man you quoted my post in the 2 seconds it was up before I fixed my typo

I was asking about JW scores specifically, I know many others by other composers took longer :P 

It's funny to think even his much older scores from the 60s took less than 46 years because FSM got to most of the those in the late 90s and early 2000s... but each new one that finally gets worked on now will keep breaking records!

I'm exited for this one, it's one of my least-played Williams scores. Even John Goldfarb has had more plays (what horror). 

Now I can't decide if I want to revisit the OST for one last ride, or just experience it afresh with the expanded release. 

I found it hard to listen to the OST album because the Varese CD edition had such crummy sound quality (what happened there?)

The MCA LP from '75 had to have sounded better than that...

2 minutes ago, rough cut said:

So, when south is come out to order or pre-order?

What?

1 minute ago, mahler3 said:

There’s a lot of radio activity for this album happening from Saturday, in addition to the Legacy interview with Mike Matessino.

7th Aug: RTE Lyric FM will premiere 2 tracks personally introduced by Mike M. This is on Aedin Gormley’s 1-4pm show.

9th Aug: Scala Radio will premiere a different cue during their 9-10am Screen Time hour with Charles Nove.

12th Aug: Belfast247Radio will play a favourite remastered (!) cue introduced by Mike M on my own show between 7-9pm

14th Aug: ClassicFM will play a track on Bill Turnbull’s show between 11:30am - 12noon.

Hopefully you’ll get a chance to hear some of the above (all U.K. & Ireland based).

Wowzers!  That's great!

And there will be samples on Intrada's website on the 10th too!

I am!  This is one of the best things that has ever happened.  I am hoping of course that this includes the album rerecording as well as the original film tracks.  The unreleased / unrerecorded (is that a word?  It is now) cue for when the French climber Montaigne is mortally injured by falling rocks is brilliant, so it had better be on there or I will need to have words.

Bill Turnbull is a gentleman, even if he supports cheating Wycombe Wankerers, so I will be tuning in to his broadcast.  Thank you for the heads up, @mahler3!

6 minutes ago, Omen II said:

The unreleased / unrerecorded (is that a word?  It is now) cue for when the French climber Montaigne is mortally injured by falling rocks is brilliant

It's really odd how little of the music from the third act of the film/score he re-recorded for the original album, and then with the completely random order he put everything in, using one of the first cues in the whole score as the climax of the album.... just a weird OST album.

15 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I think everybody expects it to be remastered...

Indeed, it was an unsubtle reference to an earlier post.

I guess for the OST he was crafting a musical experience completely separated from the picture.

2 minutes ago, mahler3 said:

Indeed, it was an unsubtle reference to an earlier post.

There's a quote function, you know. ;)

So happy that we have been getting such a healthy mix of expanded scores from across the JW timeline over recent years!  Each decade from the 1960s to the 2000s have been well represented.

Here's what I'm seeing for remaining 1970's scores that are "future-proof" eligible, correct me if I'm mistaken:

• Story of a Woman
  • Jane Eyre
  • The Screaming Woman
  • The Paper Chase
  • Cinderella Liberty
  • Conrack
  • Sugarland Express
  • Star Wars

1 hour ago, ATXHusker said:

Star Wars

:dance:

23 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Wait! I just realized! This is a Clint Eastwood film. Hasn't that historically been a no go for expansions? 

No I think everybody just forgot that score.

5 hours ago, crocodile said:

1 disc then. :) I might wait a week and order it together with The Russia House and Khan from Intrada. 

Karol

Khan? Something new going on with that?

As to this thread's topic - Awesome! Great News! I'm happy I own the Varese CD but looking forward to a much cleaner and expanded version.

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

Wait! I just realized! This is a Clint Eastwood film. Hasn't that historically been a no go for expansions? 

Maybe it's different when he isn't the composer.

1 hour ago, Permanent Waves said:

La-La Land is releasing a 2 disc remastered version.

Ahh. Missed their FB post. Thanks. Time Tunnel Vol 2 as well. Goodness. Expensive few weeks ahead... 

But I would say I am more excited for Eiger Sanction.

2 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

Maybe it's different when he isn't the composer.

I thought he was also the big block on Firefox. Don't get me wrong, this is wonderful!

I just realized, since I haven't seen most of the film I have NO idea what I'm getting. How fun is that?

So are we expecting some kind of revelation  regarding this score in terms of unreleased music or just film versions of album cues we already have more or less

I suppose the most exciting part would be the huge improvement over the sound quality.The Varese edition was not exactly up to the desired level even for its time. Plus you are likely getting the original film tracks and maybe a few alternates. It’s a win win situation.

Good news. But I'm generally not very excited about these old scores anymore.... 

That said, of course I will pick it up! 

:mrgreen:

12 hours ago, Holko said:

That cover art... seems to copy the OST but gets the font, the colour wrong... wait, does it even cut Clint's foot off with the overscaled art going under a white-filled text box? Come on! 

The Eiger Sanction | LP Cover Art

And that's how the Footgate was started.... :D

____

I actually know 3 tracks from this soundtrack for almost 30 years, from the Japanese Filmworks, released in 1993! 

And these 2 tracks have always stood out for me. Vintage John Williams, in top form. "Training with George" is somewhat reminiscent of "Setting the Trap" from Home Alone, I've always felt... Same kind of urgency, drive, spirit. 

images (47) (3).jpeg

7 minutes ago, Thor said:

And then, as this old FSM thread attests to, I finally got to see the film in 2009. I've seen it once or twice since, but it's probably 6-7 years since the last time.

My EIGER story, condensed! :)

And I still haven't seen the movie, although from all accounts, it's nothing to write home about. Still, I'd like to see it at least once... 

Apparently, I did like the movie quite a bit back in 2009. More than my earlier comment suggests. Here's what I said back then:

It's a very well-made thriller with a comedy undertone that WORKS - taking us to different locales and exciting setpieces.

I thought it was funny how it started off as an INDIANA JONES precursor....here was the popular college professor that led a secret life as someone more adventurous (an assasin for a government company), with female students falling in love with him.  And a little bit of James Bond as well, girls being his exact "weakness" or femmes fatales.

Interesting to finally find out what the cryptic title "The Eiger Sanction" means....'sanction 'being the assasination assignment that is given whenever an agent from a competing company is killed. And obviously, this assignment is supposed to take place while climbing the famous Eiger top.

The climbing setpieces were quite impressive, but I wish more time was dedicated to this segment of the film. It just feels a little short and sudden, the way it ends now.

As usual, Williams' music was excellent in context.

The opening main theme is absolutely drop-dead gorgeous, of course, the kind of baroque jazz melancholy that I love and made a thread on earlier:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=51696&forumID=1&archive=0

In the film, it is presented more classical and longer, and I actually prefer that over the recording on the soundtrack album.

Also, Williams has an excellent approach to the humorous "training montage" sequences (in three parts) - easy-going, baroque melody on pizzicato strings, guitar and harpshicord that grow in orchestral force as Clint becomes fitter and fitter. Overall, Williams deals with the action scenes in a very classy, lean style. Quite unusual.

Recommended film.