THE EIGER SANCTION (1975) - 2021 2-CD Expanded Edition from Intrada Records

Jay

8 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yeah, that was my first exposure to this too. Not the Japanese version, but the Euro version of Filmworks (I think I may have gotten it in 1995, though, not 1993). 

Yeah, I'm familiar with the European version of Filmworks too. It has fewer tracks and a significantly less appealing cover art (with no pic of John Williams)! 

Not sure whether I got it, I might have picked it up later at some point in a used CD store... Just for collecting purposes. 

1 minute ago, Josh500 said:

Yeah, I'm familiar with the European version of Filmworks too. It has fewer tracks and a significantly less appealing cover art (with no pic of John Williams)! 

I like the cover art, actually. The cinema marquee stuff is more creative than a pic of Williams plastered all over it, IMO.

Just now, mahler3 said:

Yes we actually talk about that MCA Filmworks compilation during the Legacy podcast. It introduced me to do many unheard Williams gems back then, including Eiger and the Midway Yorktown March.

Not to mention Earthquake and The River

1 minute ago, mahler3 said:

Yes we actually talk about that MCA Filmworks compilation during the Legacy podcast. It introduced me to do many unheard Williams gems back then, including Eiger and the Midway Yorktown March.

Indeed. In fact, while I'm not 100% certain, I think it may have been my third JW CD, after JURASSIC PARK and the Arista STAR WARS box. An important gate-opener for sure. It also "fooled" me in regards to the nature of the ALWAYS score. :D

By the way, here's the difference between the Japanese and European versions of John Williams Filmworks, as regards the actual tracks... The first is the Japanese version. I sure am glad I got that!! 

images - 2021-08-06T154828.596.jpeg

images - 2021-08-06T154842.238.jpeg

7 minutes ago, rough cut said:

I also have the Filmworks CD! I fell in love with Training With George, it is one of my top JW cues of all time.

Indeed. This really stands out. Reminds me of "Setting the Trap," like I said, but also of the fugue from Jaws, somehow. A real knockout piece. 

1 minute ago, JTWfan77 said:

I also have a third Filmworks CD that includes some non-MCA released tracks (probably licenced). It has a film camera on the cover.

Isn't everything on that also on the Japanese release?

23 minutes ago, mahler3 said:

Same! 

Karol

15 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

I also have a third Filmworks CD that includes some non-MCA released tracks (probably licenced). It has a film camera on the cover.

Yeah, I know. But these are all inferior versions, imo. I didn't even get this... It includes no additional tracks from these older hard to find albums, but adds more tracks from popular, contemporary albums that every JW fan owns anyway! 

images - 2021-08-06T161337.682.jpeg

Exceedingly happy to hear about this release - it might even be worth the (no doubt) outrageous international postage cost.

All I need now is the full MM rerelease of Hook, and I can consider dying a happy man.

Mark

Brilliant news! Can't wait to pick this up, has been on my wanted list for many years. The upgraded OST should be reason enough to upgrade, because that existing release sounds truly dreadful. Thank you Intrada!!! 

Can't say I'm a huge of the artwork though. Don't understand why Clint's foot got cropped off, nor why the iconic title font got replaced with a generic font. Personally I prefer these things stay faithful to the heritage of a title while subtly modernising it. I might try my hand at a Jim Titus-style album cover that retains the title logo and doesn't amputate Clint's foot... 

Anyway, I'm sure the music will sound brilliant. Very happy to see this checked off the list! Now we just need a 90s and 00s score expanded and we've covered five decades of JW in 2021 :P

In fact, if we analyze the art, Clint is facing an imaginary mountain, he's looking at us... "throught" this invisible mountain.

So it's like if Clint is trying to climb on us.

:huh:

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It would be nice with a thorough massage, though.

Fakir style massage, maybe.

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

In fact, if we analyze the art, Clint is facing an imaginary mountain, he's looking at us... "throught" this invisible mountain.

So it's like if Clint is trying to climb on us.

:huh:

Why is he trying to climb us?

Happy GIF

10 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

it seems fine to me to spare out a little room between the image and the font.

...which could have been done without cutting a part of the image off.

The question is, will any of the source music be included on this set? I think there's 7 instances of source in the film, though one is just an excerpt of Chopin (and I can't see Mike convincing JW to include that). 

But maybe some of the jazzier JW-written pieces will be OK? Here's hoping... 

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

The question is, will any of the source music be included on this set? I think there's 7 instances of source in the film, though one is just an excerpt of Chopin (and I can't see Mike convincing JW to include that). 

It would be easier to convince JW than Chopin.

11 hours ago, crumbs said:

I might try my hand at a Jim Titus-style album cover that retains the title logo and doesn't amputate Clint's foot... 

Ooh, can't wait!

15 minutes ago, Holko said:

Ooh, can't wait!

It's not far off, hope you like it! 

Has anyone calculated how long (minimum) the complete film score should be, based on what's in the film? 

48 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Has anyone calculated how long (minimum) the complete film score should be, based on what's in the film? 

I have calculated around 53:44, including Williams source music audible in the film.  Of course one never knows what edits, alternates, etc. there might be.

Even without source music, the score should be a good three quarters of an hour of Williams at the summit.  Are we in for a treat!

I'm guessing any source music won't be mixed into the film score presentation. More likely relegated to a separate bonus section, if it's included at all (please, please, please work your magic Mike!)