THE EIGER SANCTION (1975) - 2021 2-CD Expanded Edition from Intrada Records

Jay

16 minutes ago, crumbs said:

How's this?

ver8.png

...and I was about to congratulate you on your perfect Titusoid covers above and promote you to the rank of Titling.

...with this one, you've officially surpassed him.

Oh wow, you even included [REDACTED] !

So disc 1 is the complete film score with unused selections, and runs over 75 minutes.

Disc 2 is an expanded OST which includes music recorded for the album but dropped at the time.

No mention of source music but it doesn't sound promising (unless it's mixed into the rest of the tracks on disc 1, which seems unlikely).

@Omen II I just realised you wrote up the excellent analysis of the score here! I've been using this as reference to see what we can look forward to on disc 1. But a quick calculation of the score cues you listed adds up to only only ~43 minutes of film score, including the unused Fifty Miles of Desert cue. The runtime of 75+ minutes is quite a substantial increase?!

@Thor You now have no excuse not to listen to this new release since Mike confirmed it features a brand new mix of the OST (with, I guess, a much much better sound now).

12 minutes ago, Thor said:

Gosh, crumbs, how long does it take you to churn out those covers? The last one was funny.

Ohh, not that long really. Time flies when you're having fun though :P

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

@Thor You now have no excuse not to listen to this new release since Mike confirmed it features a brand new mix of the OST (with, I guess, a much much better sound now).

And also new album tracks that Williams couldn't include on the existing OST, maybe due to space limitations!

1 minute ago, Omen II said:

Definitely, which makes this release all the more exciting.  Even if all the source music were included, it would mean that we have at least twenty minutes of score that will be new to everyone except those who were on the soundstage in 1975 and those who had a hand in this release.

I genuinely think the source music would feel right at home with some of the score cues from this film, so I'd like to think Mike found an organic way to mix them into the score presesntation.

IIRC Earthquake had a similar mix like that (although, after watching that film, I realised a substantial amount of source music was still omitted from the expansion, and only a few select pieces made it through).

25 minutes ago, Chewy said:

But the OST is also expanded, which cancels that out ;)

That tracklist is astonishing! So many short cues in @Omen II's excellent analysis are now substantially expanded here, and there's many new cues in places the film was unscored! Simply amazing!

And to top it all off, Mike found a way to convince JW to include some source music as well! :heart:

Hot damn, this might just be the release of the year! :wub:

50 minutes ago, Permanent Waves said:

But the OST is also expanded, which cancels that out ;)

Yeah, not thrilled about that. But as I said -- I'm definitely going to check out this (the digital version). Whether or not I'm going to replace my iTunes files with the new album release tracks, remains to be seen.

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

It is! 

@Jay I'm curious, D2T1 has a listed runtime of 2:46, but the existing OST track is 2:28. Typo? Or newly reinstated music that JW removed from the OST?

6 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yeah, not thrilled about that. But as I said -- I'm definitely going to check out this (the digital version). Whether or not I'm going to replace my iTunes files with the new album release tracks, remains to be seen.

Technically the OST is presented intact at the start of disc 2, followed by the source music and then the extra OST material that wasn't included originally.

But it's material JW recorded with the intention of including it on his original OST, so... well, I'll let you deal with that. :lol:

Just now, Jay said:

That. The Varese CD faded the track out early for some reason. Now we get to hear the full ending. 

BRILLIANT! Had a feeling that might be the case.

Wow the sample track is glorious. So much more expansive than the re-recording. I bought the Varese CD from Tower Records when I was 24. This is going to be a revelation and we'll worth the 27 year wait. To be honest this is a score I had forgotten all about. But hearing the basses, horns and pizzicato Celli plus a little repeated turn in the synth at the very end! 74 to 84 was Williams greatest decade. This score is from the start of Williams approaching his zenith. 

I'm sure this isn't fully accurate, but I did a quick and dirty comparison of all the usage of music in the film and compared it with the tracklist (making lots of assumptions about which cues are combined into which tracks).

So this was the result, and it's pretty astonishing just how much more music the Intrada has. The second last track in particular -- it seems Williams scored almost the entire sequence and Clint only used two 30 second excerpts for the film!

image.png

Tracks 6 through 8 have me really curious, because the film has an intriguing blend of source and score throughout that sequence. It's unclear how Mike has arranged all that, but I'm sure it'll be perfect.

20 minutes ago, Thor said:

Heh. With all affection and respect, I might have to change my signature line to "Thor can listen to what he wants to." :)

Me? Between this and Wrath of Khan I'm having a great August. This might be the first score I'm buying in ages that I haven't owned in some prior form.

9 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

With all affection and respect, I might have to change my signature line to "Thor can listen to what he wants to."

Listened to the first minute of the Varese and compared with this sample. The only possible explanation is that Thor's deaf. Or decides to be deaf. The old mix is hot garbage.

The JWFan sample is the film's main title, not the album's.

Hopefully Intrada's store page on Monday will have samples from the album remaster 

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

The JWFan sample is the film's main title, not the album's.

whoops, then either the old mix is garbage or the old mix and the album recording is garbage in comparison to the film one

38 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Heh. With all affection and respect, I might have to change my signature line to "Thor can listen to what he wants to." :)

That would be awesome! ;)

Actually, in my earlier 2009 review of the film, I believe I mentioned that I preferred the original film version of the main titles over the album version. So there might be some mixing and trixing there, we'll see.

34 minutes ago, Holko said:

The only possible explanation is that Thor's deaf.

Well, he does have tinnitus IIRC...

Ahh, the last of the 'cool' Williams titles rescued. The opening credits are superior to the album version (which in turn has several mellow pop/jazz versions of that euro theme), plus there are probably more dramatic cues left off the old MCA. We get both, so the best of both worlds. Thanks Intrada.

On 8/5/2021 at 5:21 PM, mahler3 said:

There’s a lot of radio activity for this album happening from Saturday, in addition to the Legacy interview with Mike Matessino.

7th Aug: RTE Lyric FM will premiere 2 tracks personally introduced by Mike M. This is on Aedin Gormley’s 1-4pm show.

9 hours ago, His Royal Noelness said:

5 hours ago, Chewy said:

Recording, for those who missed it:

Just listened to this. After Mike's lovely introduction which sets up that they'd be playing The Microfilm Killing from the film recordings, they actually played the album re-recording track The Microfilm Killing (which is actually a combination he made of the unused cue for the unlocked safe deleted scene seguing into the microfilm killing music) 

So a sample of the album remaster is out there after all! 

On 8/5/2021 at 9:55 PM, Jay said:

I found it hard to listen to the OST album because the Varese CD edition had such crummy sound quality (what happened there?)

The MCA LP from '75 had to have sounded better than that...

Sorry for the late reply, but just today did I have the time to compare the LP with the CD. 

The LP does sound better than the transfer. The sound is wider on the LP, while the CD sounds muffled, probably due to the use of early 90's noise reduction technology.

Something I won't bother checking again in a few weeks ;)

Scala Radio are premiering the Main Title (film version) on Monday between 9 & 10am.

Not sure why the wrong cue was played on Lyric as they actually chose which ones they wanted to play. Mike and I usually dictate the best cues to showcase. Ah well.

10 minutes ago, Miguel Andrade said:

Sorry for the late reply, but just today did I have the time to compare the LP with the CD. 

The LP does sound better than the transfer. The sound is wider on the LP, while the CD sounds muffled, probably due to the use of early 90's noise reduction technology.

Yea, I figured the actual LP released in 75 sounded fine, or at least commensurate with other LPS of the era. 

The Varese CD is seriously messed up somehow. 

I wonder if UMG will release Mike's remaster on digital platforms. 

17 minutes ago, Miguel Andrade said:

Oh gosh, you just made me desire the LP even more.