THE EIGER SANCTION (1975) - 2021 2-CD Expanded Edition from Intrada Records

Jay

29 minutes ago, Jay said:

Was he very productive, though?  In the 1 year period from March 74 to March 75, he worked on the violin concerto, then wrote/recorded Earthquake -> Towering Inferno -> Eiger Sanction -> Jaws.

4 scores within 12 months seems about his normal pace throughout the 70s, no?

After Jaws, 9 whole months would pass until he recorded his next score (Midway).

I suppose it depends on how you define "very productive". I'm guessing some would be away completely for a year or two, while others jump back into it relatively quickly. It's all individual.

Oh absolutely.  Not long after Rick Moranis' wife died, he retired from acting to raise his kids.

6 hours ago, ciarlese said:

Has anyone heard the premiere at Scala Radio today? I just realised to have missed it :(.

I have been able to find it in the on-demand section of the website.
You can find it here, check from time 2:31:54 :https://scala.listennow.link/18215675. They broadcast the first track of disc 1. You will need to register with a free account to access it.
Unfortunately I am not able to record it on my PC.
Not sure why the radio presenter says that his edition contains 40 minutes of unreleased music, which is the same heard in the previous Radio program, although my understanding is that only 36 minutes of over 2 hours program of this edition were previously released.

Hope you appreciate this :).

2 hours ago, ciarlese said:

Not sure why the radio presenter says that his edition contains 40 minutes of unreleased music, which is the same heard in the previous Radio program, although my understanding is that only 36 minutes of over 2 hours program of this edition were previously released.

Maybe they refer to unused music + dropped OST tracks that have never been heard by anyone, but 40 minutes seems to be a lot for that!

3 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

Why? This one wasn't mastered by the usual Intrada guys. It was assembled, mastered (and maybe even mixed) by Mike Matessino.

Oh, can I remember you the Harry Potter box?

Ordered! Was going to add Sleepy Hollow too, but it said 'item may be backordered' and didn't want that holding up my Eiger. I'm too eager for Eiger. 

I did add Extreme Prejudice though. 

Williams also recorded another seven minutes of original source music as well. All of it appears in this new 2-CD expanded Intrada presentation

:woop:

9 minutes ago, Bespin said:

They will reprint Disc 1 of Sleepy, don't order it now.

Ah yeah, just got caught up on all that. I had the Intrada page open for some time earlier and I didn't actually see it show 'temoprarily out of stock' on Sleepy Hollow until I refreshed that page later, after I tried adding it to my cart. 

I shall wait on that one. 

So I’m flipping channels and what do I find on Starz Encore Classics bit none other than Eiger Sanction 😂. I haven’t seen the movie yet so I’ve got it bookmarked for next time it comes on 

59 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Oh, can I remember you the Harry Potter box?

Ok yeah, fair enough. That is the only album I can think of where Mike made any real mistakes. Off the top of my head though, the only problems I remember were a handful of lossy tracks in POA and a bad transition at the end of Saving Buckbeak.

45 minutes ago, Bespin said:

It's not a good movie!

I’m sure it’s not but I feel obligated to watch it 😆 

I find that I become much more into the score to films that I’ve seen ha haven’t seen. 

1 hour ago, A. A. Ron said:

Ok yeah, fair enough. That is the only album I can think of where Mike made any real mistakes. Off the top of my head though, the only problems I remember were a handful of lossy tracks in POA and a bad transition at the end of Saving Buckbeak.

That and some tracks on CD2 of Schindler's List looking like 128kbps MP3s.

7 hours ago, MrJosh said:

Ordered! Was going to add Sleepy Hollow too, but it said 'item may be backordered' and didn't want that holding up my Eiger. I'm too eager for Eiger. 

Same thing here! Oh well. Sleepy Hollow next time.  (And a very nice turn of phrase!)

7 hours ago, MrJosh said:

I did add Extreme Prejudice though. 

I had bundled that with Call of the Wild and Somewhere in Time which arrived today. One order arrives - time to order the next one!

7 hours ago, Bespin said:

They will reprint Disc 1 of Sleepy, don't order it now.

Ahhh. That explains why it went out so quickly. Thanks.

Well I ordered my copy from the Music Box Records. Can't wait to hear this! Basically the whole film score is previously unheard with tons of unused material and source music to boot. :) 

13 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Well I ordered my copy from the Music Box Records. Can't wait to hear this! Basically the whole film score is previously unheard with tons of unused material and source music to boot. :) 

Interesting that their press release indicates all the source music written by Williams for the film is included. It feels like more than 3 tracks of source in the film though. Maybe there's some non-JW stuff used in the film. 

Still a very pleasant surprise that Mike convinced him to include it, after everything we've heard on other releases. What a gift! 

"expertly mixed by Mike Matessino from the Universal three-channel split mono elements into crisp and vibrant stereo and heard in chronological sequence"

So likely no 1st gen film elements remain, only the album elements. But hearing the samples, I'm not complaining at all, it sounds fantastic. If only they did this 3-channel split mono for Jaws too instead of that weirdly semi-joined not-quite-LCR!

The three-track split mono IS the first gen film element.  That's all that was ever preserved from the film recordings - exactly the same situation as Earthquake, Jaws, and Family Plot

I cannot get the episode to play properly for me, constant re-buffering.

Is that happening to others or is it my connection here?

I found a solution: Playing through Spotfy with no issues!

The download in the podcast app on my phone is now 4% finished after half an hour

So lots of interesting reveals in @TownerFan's excellent podcast, which I won't spoil. But very glad that source music was discussed in great detail, because it's one of the things I was most curious about for this score.

The major revelation being that 7 source pieces were found in the sessions, and all 7 were submitted to John on the first assembly, but sadly only 3 came back approved. I wonder if the Chopin excerpt was one of the 7 Mike submitted?

But 3 is still better than none, so hopefully JW is softening his stance on source music a little...

Apparently every piece of source music for Jaws 2 was rejected by JW also, even though he approved multiple pieces for Jaws (including ones he didn't even compose). Go figure!

Meybe intrada will accidentally send out an earlier assembly :devil:

1 hour ago, Jay said:

The download in the podcast app on my phone is now 4% finished after half an hour

Thats why I just download directly through my browser.