THE EIGER SANCTION (1975) - 2021 2-CD Expanded Edition from Intrada Records

Jay

These index issues are nothing unfixable, but they are annoying as fuck. Basic Instinct by Quartet, U.S. Marshals and Looney Tunes: Back in Action by Varese (since Townson left this seems to be a regular issue there (don't know whether Along Came a Spider and Lionheart are affected)) and now The Eiger Sanction by Intrada.

I never noticed any issues with my rip of the Quartet Basic Instinct.  Can you elaborate on that one?

49 minutes ago, Jay said:

This is what Mike says about this:

"RSO was in trouble beginning with the failure of Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band in 1979 and then the famous $200 million lawsuit the Bee Gees filed against them the following year. In 1981 Stigwood pulled out of the company and the new management, cutting corners due to the lawsuit, plus seeing that The Empire Strikes Back did not sell as well as Star Wars (along with declining soundtrack sales in general), mandated a single LP for JEDI and wanted a song and themes included on it. As a result half the album was material recorded specifically for it. RSO was interested in getting things on MTV at that point, so they became the wrong label for score soundtracks, which suffered across the board over the next several years."

Well, I don't agree with the assumption that "half the material" of ROTJ OST is made of re-recorded suites.... That's not quite true.

Recorded during the main scoring sessions:

• 01 Main Title (The Main Story Continues) (5:09) {1M2 Main Title & 1M3 Approaching The Death Star}
  • 02 Into The Trap (2:36) {10M3 Into The Trap}
  • [0:00-2:47] of 05 Han Solo Returns (At The Court Of Jabba The Hutt) (2:47) {3M2 The Big Thaw}
  • 06 Lapti Nek (By Jabba's Palace Band) (2:48)
  • 08 Rebel Briefing (2:19) {13M4 New}
  • 09 The Emperor (2:40) {12M5 The Emperor's Death}
  • [0:00-1:58] of 11 Ewok Celebration and Finale (1:58) {13M5 & 13M5A}

TOTAL TIME - 20:17

Recorded on the special album recording day:

• 03 Luke And Leia (4:43) {Brother and Sister}
  • 04 Parade Of The Ewoks (3:24) {Parade Of The Ewoks}
  • [2:47-end] of 05 Han Solo Returns (At The Court Of Jabba The Hutt) (1:20) {Jabba The Hutt}
  • 07 The Forest Battle (4:01) {The Battle In The Woods}
  • 10 The Return Of The Jedi (5:00) {4M4 Rev}
  • [1:58-end] of 11 Ewok Celebration and Finale (5:59) {End Credits}

TOTAL TIME - 24:27

15 minutes ago, Smaug The Iron said:

But that is recorded for the film 

Right, and so was the end credits, but neither cue was recorded until the special album day.  

Conversely, the versions of Lapti Nek, Ewok Celebration, and "Rebel Briefing" (Leia Breaks the News) are different than what's in the film. 

Rebel Briefing just had its ending replaced by the new funeral pyre cue, but Lapti Nek sounds like a version of the film cue an RSO exec would want to be the MTV single, and this version of Ewok Celebration sounds like it was done just for the album too.

So with all that in mind, you could go

Recorded to be put in the film (even if it didn't end up in the film)

• 01 Main Title (The Main Story Continues) (5:09) {1M2 Main Title & 1M3 Approaching The Death Star}
  • 02 Into The Trap (2:36) {10M3 Into The Trap}
  • [0:00-2:47] of 05 Han Salo Returns (At The Court Of Jabba The Hutt) (2:47) {3M2 The Big Thaw}
  • 08 Rebel Briefing (2:19) {13M4 New}
  • 09 The Emperor (2:40) {12M5 The Emperor's Death}
  • 10 The Return Of The Jedi (5:00) {4M4 Rev}
  • [1:58-end] of 11 Ewok Celebration and Finale (5:59) {End Credits}

TOTAL TIME - 26:30

Recorded specifically for album use

• 03 Luke And Leia (4:43) {Brother and Sister}
  • 04 Parade Of The Ewoks (3:24) {Parade Of The Ewoks}
  • 06 Lapti Nek (By Jabba's Palace Band) (2:48)
  • [2:47-end] of 05 Han Salo Returns (At The Court Of Jabba The Hutt) (1:20) {Jabba The Hutt}
  • 07 The Forest Battle (4:01) {The Battle In The Woods}
  • [0:00-1:58] of 11 Ewok Celebration and Finale (1:58)

TOTAL TIME - 19:24

Just arrived in the mail today!!!  Sound is absolutely fantastic so far!  

I watched the movie for the first time last night so it's very fresh in my mind.  Decent movie that's definitely dated but still an enjoyable flick with a surprising reveal at the end! :) I think George was my favorite part of the movie...  :lovethis:

Hmmm, I don't hear it.  Maybe embed a track from Arnold's score it reminds you of?

I was reminded more of Azkaban, personally!

55 minutes ago, Jay said:

Hmmm, I don't hear it.  Maybe embed a track from Arnold's score it reminds you of?

I was reminded more of Azkaban, personally!

This bit here. Especially when the tempo picks up. I'm sure it's just the rhythm and the instrument. It's not the melody at all. 

https://youtu.be/ZwpVPJzNaok

58 minutes ago, Jay said:

Hmm, not hearing it at all, sorry

That's OK. I guess now I can relate to people who think The Imperial March sounds like Mars. 😁

11 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

That's OK. I guess now I can relate to people who think The Imperial March sounds like Mars. 😁

Yes but like March '78 and like if the tape was stored in my garage since then!

I don't know if you ever listened to the Imperial March track with headphones (the original track from the OST).... it has a lot of clippings, it always had, it's barely unlistenable... and it will never sounds better.

More you remaster it, more we hear the defaults.

Apparently, there is an error on Disc 2. The first few seconds of Never Quaver are at the end of Dinner With Gem. Easily rectifiable, but still...

Sorry, it does not crossfade. I used the term incorrectly. It is not a false default, though. The start of Never Quaver begins at the end of Dinner With Gem and carries over into Never Quaver. The beginning of track 15 occurs at the end of track 14 and carries over into track 15.

I can definitely confirm the error both on my CD 2 and on the subsequent rip of these tracks. Here's a shot from Audacity of the end of Track 14.

As mentioned above, an easy fix which I have just finished.

Oops.png

Edit - I did not notice this until it was mentioned above either. I just played straight through a few times and did not hear the track change. But nice to have it fixed. 

3 hours ago, Chewy said:

Has anyone told Intrada yet? This disc needs a repress, no matter how easy to fix the error is.

And replacement discs I might add, for those of us that bought the defective disc.

I have a few CDs where the gap between tracks isn't quite in the silent bit - a tad annoying maybe, but easily fixed, especially if you rip a section instead of the tracks individually. Doesn't strike me as a repressing issue.

I'd be almost certain that if you found any score with a largely uninterrupted stretch of score, split over several tracks, one of the split points is going to be less than perfect. As long as it doesn't have a gap within a track itself (i.e. plays in a CD player fine), I really don't see much of a problem.

They attempted to deliver my parcel but I am out of the country and won't get back for another two weeks. At least there is something nice waiting for me once I'm back. 

Karol

26 minutes ago, crocodile said:

They attempted to deliver my parcel but I am out of the country and won't get back for another two weeks. At least there is something nice waiting for me once I'm back. 

Karol

Are you sure it won't be returned because you're not there to receive it?

10 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Are you sure it won't be returned because you're not there to receive it?

I'll be there in 13 days. They keep it for 18.

Karol

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's not defective.

It is.

It is clearly imperfect, which is the definition of defective as per Google.

Nothing major, but still...

18 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It still plays.

If the stereo channels were swapped, it was amped to 200% and completely distorted, and it played backwards… that statement would still be true.

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Karol

In my country, it you dont claim it in 15 days maximun…it gets returned to the point of origin…

edit: i saw your answer about the 18 days, good then!

11 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

Sorry, it does not crossfade. I used the term incorrectly. It is not a false default, though. The start of Never Quaver begins at the end of Dinner With Gem and carries over into Never Quaver. The beginning of track 15 occurs at the end of track 14 and carries over into track 15.

Misplaced index only. We don't care.