THE EIGER SANCTION (1975) - 2021 2-CD Expanded Edition from Intrada Records

Jay

8 hours ago, Chewy said:

Roger confirmed it on the Intrada forums

So, Intrada will automatically send me a replacement disc, or do I have to send an e-mail to Intrada requesting a replacement disc?

58 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

So, Intrada will automatically send me a replacement disc, or do I have to send an e-mail to Intrada requesting a replacement disc?

I believe we'll have to contact them.

I didn't receive yet my Eiger Sanction CD from ScreenArchive, that Jeff from Intrada confirmed me that they will send me a replacement CD.

Now, what if the replacement CD arrive before the original one?

chris-pratt-omg.gif

This was one of (if not definitively) my most wanted expanded/remastered scores!!! We basically had nothing except the OST, which I love. So thrilled to get it. Listening to it now... the remastered OST is excellent -- hearing stuff I never noticed before, and the film score is a welcome full CD length! Been waiting to crack open the recent Blu-Ray of it after I become more familiar with the film score (very familiar with the album). Absolutely LOVE it!

On 8/17/2021 at 11:56 AM, Hedji said:

Got tired of waiting for a re-stock, so I went and bought the Target exclusive with the variant cover and the bonus track "On The Chair Lift"

Eiger Target.jpg

What the?! That's not for real, is it?! Fooled me for a sec! Hade me scrambling to Target's site, :lol:

On 8/17/2021 at 4:15 PM, Jay said:

Oooh, same here!  Finally!

Yeah, it's been a goal of mine since the 1990s to have every CD release of all of Williams' scores. And I don't sell the OSTs when a new expanded/remaster comes out, either.  I used to get even re-pressings with different covers and such, but I had to draw a line somewhere for my sanity's sake. 

The hardest ones to get for me were the 'Yes, Giorgio' OST and the original pressing of the 'SpaceCamp' CD (before Stefancos turned to evil, he helped me find that one!). It kind of stuns me when I hear 'Goodbye Mr. Chips' is so hard to get, now? 

Hahah sorry Chris. That was my ode to my favorite B-Movie actress crush. She has a bit part in the film (which is the biggest film she was in), but if you want to see a true 70s foxy lady, check out Pets or Hollywood Boulevard (before you venture into Chatterbox )

7 hours ago, Chris ChrusherComix said:

The hardest ones to get for me were the 'Yes, Giorgio' OST and the original pressing of the 'SpaceCamp' CD (before Stefancos turned to evil, he helped me find that one!). It kind of stuns me when I hear 'Goodbye Mr. Chips' is so hard to get, now? 

Heheh. I’d forgotten about Yes Giorgio, So I ordered it. So I guess NOW I’m complete. :lol:

15 hours ago, Hedji said:

Hahah sorry Chris. That was my ode to my favorite B-Movie actress crush. She has a bit part in the film (which is the biggest film she was in), but if you want to see a true 70s foxy lady, check out Pets or Hollywood Boulevard (before you venture into Chatterbox )

The pic did catch my eye, I must admit... :lol:

Heheh. I’d forgotten about Yes Giorgio, So I ordered it. So I guess NOW I’m complete. :lol:

:o How can you just order 'Yes, Gorgio'?! Well, the vinyl and cassette are easy finds, yes, but the actual CD is one of the rarest out there. It was the hardest and last one I tracked down, and the most I ever paid for a single CD. West German pressing, I don't even think it was sold in the US, possibly just Europe. And there's a promo/boot with the Michael J Lewis score, and a promo/boot coupled with SpaceCamp, too, but the actual Decca CD... was my bane until I got it! For the longest time I had a nicely done CD-R in it's place until one surfaced on eBay a good 10+ years ago. I never see it listed anywhere, maybe twice in the last 20 years (one of which I bought).

On 8/20/2021 at 4:23 PM, Bespin said:

I didn't receive yet my Eiger Sanction CD from ScreenArchive, that Jeff from Intrada confirmed me that they will send me a replacement CD.

I got two sets -- one set from ScreenArchives and one from Intrada (still coming)... do I write them both about replacement discs as well? Do all of the sets have this issue, or just some?

music box just has an announcement on top of the page, they say that replacements will be issued with another order, they wont send just the replacement cds...

So maybe the best option is to ask them for the replacement on your next order. i'll try that.

I dont want to bother intrada and make them work extra for free...since i bought it elsewhere :/

30 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

My order including the Eiger Sanction just shipped from Music Box records.

I assume I'll have to show proof of purchase to Intrada to get a replacement disc, right?

This is what Jeff said when i asked him about Sleepy Hollow having ordered it from soundtrackcorner:

Oh yes, we will make sure you get a replacement Disc1 when they are ready. Any kind of shipping confirmation email or invoice would be perfect.

-- Jeff

I think Musicbox will send replacements too if you ask, judging by the banner at the top saying they'll ship them with your next order (in a tone that implies they're slightly fed up with all these defects and replacements).

14 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Man, that's a nice keyboard! :D

Ha, thanks! When not obsessing over scores I've also been building a new PC over the last few months :)

I agree.  I had no idea what to expect but damn, the film score just sounds fantastic.  No matter what type of cue it is or what type of instrument is being featured, it consistently sounds just terrific.

On 8/23/2021 at 11:53 AM, Jay said:

I agree.  I had no idea what to expect but damn, the film score just sounds fantastic.  No matter what type of cue it is or what type of instrument is being featured, it consistently sounds just terrific.

I agree 100%. The film score is a lot to take in because it's quite different from the OST album, but the album as well. So much more in this mix that I hadn't noticed in the original Varese OST CD -- and I listened to it a ton (one of my favorite Williams '70s OSTs). Really a great release, and worth the wait for me! For a while I was wondering if it'd ever get made! Thrilled with this release.

Yay I finally got my copy! :) Now on to listen to the whole set! 

:music:Main Title (from the Motion Picture The Eiger Sanction)

Am I the only one to find something wrong in the end credits track?

Cd1, track 27, around 1:47 for a few seconds, it seems to me the trumpet(s) lose(s) the tempo a bit and need to miss one or to notes to recover.

20 minutes ago, ciarlese said:

Am I the only one to find something wrong in the end credits track?

Cd1, track 27, around 1:47 for a few seconds, it seems to me the trumpet(s) lose(s) the tempo a bit and need to miss one or to notes to recover.

I think "something wrong" is probably the wrong phrase to use; I thought you were implying there was an issue with the editing/mixing/mastering of the new album.

But you're just talking about the performance that happened when the cue was recorded.  If that's what got recorded to tape, that's what we have. 

Unless you think the performance is different in the film itself?

43 minutes ago, Jay said:

I think "something wrong" is probably the wrong phrase to use; I thought you were implying there was an issue with the editing/mixing/mastering of the new album.

But you're just talking about the performance that happened when the cue was recorded.  If that's what got recorded to tape, that's what we have. 

Unless you think the performance is different in the film itself?

Yes I am referring to the performance, nothing wrong from the technical side.

The album is great, it goes into the top three releases ever for me.

I love Williams from the 70's😍.

40 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Roger confirmed in response to my question: 

"They'll be back in around second week of Sept. Replacement discs for those that want one should ship to us next week."

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8772&p=84281#p84281

Damn, that's much further away than I was hoping. I'll be lucky to have this by October. :(

9 hours ago, carlborg said:

The new arrivals!

IMG_20210826_081625__01.jpg

image.png

So does anyone know the story about the reappearing boot? Was the first pressing an error (a la JP toothgate)?

I'm guessing Eastwood had to sign off on the artwork.

(2nd image courtesy of @Holko)

9 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

So does anyone know the story about the reappearing boot? Was the first pressing an error (a la JP toothgate)?

I'm guessing Eastwood had to sign off on the artwork.

(2nd image courtesy of @Holko)

He simply printed out the custom cover crumbs shared here.

It was a great discovery for me.  Prior to learning about the expansion, I had never seen the film, and only heard the OST album maybe once - if I did, it was so far in the past, I didn't remember a thing about it.

Now, I love it!  Especially the film recording.  The album recording still feels like a meager afterthought to me.

Oh and one more thing: This can get so Long Goodbye-ey and jazzy that after some tracks I'm genuinely sad and baffled that they didn't turn the main theme into a song with a smoky sounding lady!

11 hours ago, Holko said:

Whoa.

I started with the OST and like it! Sounds great (not familiar enough with the varese so not sure by how much - I hear by a lot), good performances, a healthy representative mix of jazz, classical inspirations and good old film music, arranged not badly. The Eiger is a pretty meh finale, I like it better with the extra tracks put after it, works out great. Source music is okay, kind of just generic 70s background music, not especially fun or interesting to me - hot take, if these are the best ones JW approved out of the 7, he can keep the rest as far as I'm concerned. Though I wouldn't say no to a Superman situation where they are released, but somewhere else.

And then the film score - holy moly. The performances are better, the cues themselves are better, the sound is INCREDIBLE, this 46 year old 3-track mono source sounds like it was recorded yesterday! I don't know how much Mike had to do but the end result is mindblowing. The first half is about what one expects, a varied damn good score for a mediocre movie. Felicity introduces the classicalesque element early so the Montage is more like a return, I like that. Also a lot of jazzy cues, i love that. Also lots of great main theme renditions, I love that. Also early on it can feel more like a small Morricone-esque, europeany sounding score almost blending into source, then the film scory film score grows out of it gradually. Cue combinations don't stand out at all, executed perfectly, even nonchrono ones like Top of the World.

But then comes the latter half. An utterly gorgeous whole different kind of score the music grows into. A blend of cold icy textures, relentless unforgiving snowy soundscapes and emotional or melancholy main theme statements, this section is incredible. I don't know what goddamn movie JW was watching, it sure as hell wasn't the same one I did! Or he scored the movie he wanted it to be, drawing on the core ideas and possibilities, not the execution - hell, rather than scoring 4 spies or whoever going up a mountain but then coming down but then dying, with a cloudy motivation for the hero that's 100% abandoned and unexplored until it's over, to me this felt more like JW closing the book on this chapter of his life with Barbara's death and everything, right before the watershed moment was coming with Jaws, as if he knew. Absolutely fantastic. The credits is over a bit too quickly to put a proper cap on it, but then I rolled over into disc 2 and the main title started - which is a perfect finale, actually!

So overall it ends up being somewhat of a blend of Long Goodbye, a tiny bit of Images, Earthquake (so I'm told) and Black Sunday - but ends up growing past them in the latter act into something greater than all of them.

People. BUY THIS.

I won't ask for a replacement disc for this kind of mistake, if I ever listen to the disc, it's unnoticeable, just the master playing through as intended, and I fixed my rip in literally a minute. Unfortunate but of a better kind.

Super review and I can’t add much. A massively more interesting and enjoyable score than I remembered from the pretty unexceptional original album. I’m also glad I’m not the only one who thought it had a Morricone vibe at times or maybe a general European cinema sound. I’m sure there are other. Especially the way the main theme comes across. Of course the fuller orchestral stuff is much more clearly JW but it of course all works together effortlessly. 

13 hours ago, Holko said:

Whoa.

I started with the OST and like it! Sounds great (not familiar enough with the varese so not sure by how much - I hear by a lot), good performances, a healthy representative mix of jazz, classical inspirations and good old film music, arranged not badly. The Eiger is a pretty meh finale, I like it better with the extra tracks put after it, works out great.

For me personally, I find I can enjoy the OST album the most if I chop it up into chronological order, with the 3 dropped tacks put back in.  Basically, I did this:

1. 1    The Eiger Sanction (Main Title)
  2. 11B [0:49-end]    The Microfilm Killing
  3. 12    Up The Drainpipe
  4. 2    Theme From ‘The Eiger Sanction’ (Flugelhorn Version)
  5. 11A [0:00-0:49]   The Microfilm Killing The Safe
  6. 9    Theme From ‘The Eiger Sanction’ (Hemlock And Jemima)
  7. 5    Friends And Enemies
  8. 10    George Sets The Pace
  9. 8    Training With George
  10. 6    The Top Of The World
  11. 3    Fifty Miles Of Desert
  12. 13    The Eiger
  13. 18    Hemlock Leads The Climb
  14. 4    The Icy Ascent
  15. 7    Theme From ‘The Eiger Sanction’
  16. 17    Theme From ‘The Eiger Sanction’ (Love Scene)
  17. 19    Theme From ‘The Eiger Sanction’ (Reprise)

Source music is okay, kind of just generic 70s background music, not especially fun or interesting to me - hot take, if these are the best ones JW approved out of the 7, he can keep the rest as far as I'm concerned. Though I wouldn't say no to a Superman situation where they are released, but somewhere else.

I enjoy "Dinner With Jem" a lot more now that I hear its proto-Leia's theme qualities

And then the film score - holy moly. The performances are better, the cues themselves are better, the sound is INCREDIBLE, this 46 year old 3-track mono source sounds like it was recorded yesterday! I don't know how much Mike had to do but the end result is mindblowing.

YESSSSS totally agreed.  It's amazing how much better this sounds than the Jaws film recordings, which shows not all 3-track-split-mono recordings are the same by any stretch!

I never in a million years would have expected this to sound as great as it does.  I love the sound.

The first half is about what one expects, a varied damn good score for a mediocre movie. Felicity introduces the classicalesque element early so the Montage is more like a return, I like that.

Yes!

Also a lot of jazzy cues, i love that. Also lots of great main theme renditions, I love that. Also early on it can feel more like a small Morricone-esque, europeany sounding score almost blending into source, then the film scory film score grows out of it gradually. Cue combinations don't stand out at all, executed perfectly, even nonchrono ones like Top of the World.

But then comes the latter half. An utterly gorgeous whole different kind of score the music grows into. A blend of cold icy textures, relentless unforgiving snowy soundscapes and emotional or melancholy main theme statements, this section is incredible. I don't know what goddamn movie JW was watching, it sure as hell wasn't the same one I did! Or he scored the movie he wanted it to be, drawing on the core ideas and possibilities, not the execution - hell, rather than scoring 4 spies or whoever going up a mountain but then coming down but then dying, with a cloudy motivation for the hero that's 100% abandoned and unexplored until it's over, to me this felt more like JW closing the book on this chapter of his life with Barbara's death and everything, right before the watershed moment was coming with Jaws, as if he knew. Absolutely fantastic.

It's funny, the third act music is the part of the score that it took me the longest to latch on to.  I instantly loved from the Main Title through Hotel Bellevue, but then the final 25-30 minutes or so didn't have as many stand-out moments for me, like so many tracks in that first 2/3s do.  In time though, something happened and I began to appreciate that back third a lot.  It's almost like we get 2 scores in 1 with this main program!

The credits is over a bit too quickly to put a proper cap on it, but then I rolled over into disc 2 and the main title started - which is a perfect finale, actually!

Yea, I always end up being surprised when every pre-Star Wars film I watch ends up having like 1 or 2 minutes of end credits and that's it.  Credits have gotten too long these days (do we need to credit the caterer?) but the Star Wars length is pretty ideal imo.

Anyways, I never had a problem with the film's End Title providing closure to the main program; It's got a pretty strong, climactic feeling to it in its second half!

But that's kind of fun to extend that ending feeling with the OST's main title re-recording and its jazzy finish.

So overall it ends up being somewhat of a blend of Long Goodbye, a tiny bit of Images, Earthquake (so I'm told) and Black Sunday - but ends up growing past them in the latter act into something greater than all of them.

People. BUY THIS.

YES!

2 hours ago, Holko said:

Oh an one more thing: This can get so Long Goodbye-ey and jazzy that after some tracks I'm genuinely sad and baffled that they didn't turn the main theme into a song with a smoky sounding lady!

That's funny, I had an idle thought while listening once, that the main theme sounds like it could have been the basis for a song.

On 8/16/2021 at 2:38 AM, Permanent Waves said:

Anybody else notice Eiger Sanction CD2 Track 15's opening at the end of track 14 after ripping?

Just to check  it wasn't  my ripping software, I played track 15 on the CD player and went backwards, there were -6 seconds inbetween 14 and 15, when it said -3 is when the beginning of track 15 starts!

So it seems some of it got placed in the gap, somewhat like pregap hidden tracks in some mainstream music records

Still waiting for my set to arrive (together with lots of stuff i still had on my list, like Monsignor, the River, WotW, Images and Always.)

Concerning Eiger Sanction did someone combine film soundtrack and OST in a playlist or would that be too repetitious.

Or do you rather listen to the film score and the OST separately each with its own playlist?

Concerning all the other sets mentioned above i basically have similar questions how and what to combine. I guess i will search the individual threads for some playlist recommendations. 

And i usually always prefer film chronology and source music included at the proper spots in my playlists.

54 minutes ago, SF1_freeze said:

Concerning Eiger Sanction did someone combine film soundtrack and OST in a playlist or would that be too repetitious.

There'd be no reason to do that. The OST album is just re-recorded highlights from the full score, with one new passage added (a different ending for the main titles). 

Or do you rather listen to the film score and the OST separately each with its own playlist?

Absolutely separately. 

And i usually always prefer film chronology and source music included at the proper spots in my playlists.

Eiger's source music is kind of cheesy and would ruin the flow of the wonderful film score imo. 

Well The Eiger Sanction is not the first case of a "re-recorded" album in JW's discography (there are 11 exactly + the two particular cases of E.T. & The River).

It's like asking how we can combine the Jaws OST tracks into the Score program, or the reverse.

Why would someone do this?  It would make no sense at all!!

:nono:

Ah, but people have done that, by replacing some film tracks with their album equivalents that have more music. And you could do the same with Monsignor too. 

It just doesn't work with Eiger. There's only one extra passage, and it is completely disparate from everything the film score does, and replaces the original ending of the main title that expertly leads into the rest of the score. At best, you could do Holko's suggestion and play the album main title after the end credits if you wanted. 

13 hours ago, Jay said:

It just doesn't work with Eiger. There's only one extra passage, and it is completely disparate from everything the film score does, and replaces the original ending of the main title that expertly leads into the rest of the score.

What about the passage at the end of the album version of Friends and Enemies? Is that from somewhere else in the score?

On 8/27/2021 at 8:41 AM, Holko said:

I fixed my rip in literally a minute

Would someone be so kind as to explain how to do this...I normally rip using EAC which detects gaps automatically.

2 hours ago, carlborg said:

Would someone be so kind as to explain how to do this...I normally rip using EAC which detects gaps automatically.

All you need is basic audio editing skills and software, Audacity is a good free option. You import the two tracks, put them right next to each other, play the part where they join to see if it's truly gapless. Then select the first one right until the end of the silence and export it as the first track, then select the rest (end of the first track plus all of the second track) and export that as the second track.