THE EIGER SANCTION (1975) - 2021 2-CD Expanded Edition from Intrada Records

Jay

5 hours ago, carlborg said:

Would someone be so kind as to explain how to do this...I normally rip using EAC which detects gaps automatically.

Just cut the end of the track 14 rip and paste it into the beginning of the track 15 rip. No need to rip the CD any differently from usual first

8 hours ago, carlborg said:

Would someone be so kind as to explain how to do this...I normally rip using EAC which detects gaps automatically.

If anyone needs help with fixing these two tracks, drop me a pm and I'd be happy to help.   Or just drop Intrada a message and wait for the replacement.  I did that and Jeff responded quickly that I'd been added to the list.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Play the CD on your speakers, record it with a microphone, and start each recording exactly between tracks.

And record it on reel to reel like in 1975!

35 minutes ago, Hedji said:

If anyone needs help with fixing these two tracks, drop me a pm and I'd be happy to help.   Or just drop Intrada a message and wait for the replacement.  I did that and Jeff responded quickly that I'd been added to the list.

Yeah, they aren't tracks that I'm adding to a playlist or anything. So I can sit tight and wait for the replacement CD.

I'm listening to The Valley of the Dolls OST album currently, and the track "Chance Meeting" reminds me of the source music in this

Such a great release! CD 1 is simply amazing! Such a versatile score. Jazz meets classic. 

A side note:

The accordion in "Hotel Bellevue " is slightly out of tune. But very nice title. Sounds a bit like russian folk music to me (not really austrian, like mentioned in the podcast). 

10 hours ago, Steve said:

Such a great release! CD 1 is simply amazing! Such a versatile score. Jazz meets classic. 

A side note:

The accordion in "Hotel Bellevue " is slightly out of tune. But very nice title. Sounds a bit like russian folk music to me (not really austrian, like mentioned in the podcast). 

I demand someone at Intrada goes back in time and tells them to re-record this track in the correct key. They can stop at 1982 for LLL to retune the bagpipes in TWOK while they're at it ;-)

Just listening to this. It was so so worth the wait. Now, imagine music like this in a modern thriller. That would be considered stuck up arthouse! Indeed, the score has a certain European feel, sometimes bit Goldsmithian, sometimes bit Morriconian. But always filtered through the unmistakable Williams of the 1970s. So many different colours! Classy! 

Karol

On 8/23/2021 at 1:55 PM, Luke Skywalker said:

music box just has an announcement on top of the page, they say that replacements will be issued with another order, they wont send just the replacement cds...

So maybe the best option is to ask them for the replacement on your next order. i'll try that.

I dont want to bother intrada and make them work extra for free...since i bought it elsewhere :/

Yeah, I know, I contacted Intrada and they said that Music Box sends replacements directly to their customers.

The problem is I don't want to make another order from Music Box right now, just to get the replacement. 

4 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Yeah, I know, I contacted Intrada and they said that Music Box sends replacements directly to their customers.

The problem is I don't want to make another order from Music Box right now, just to get the replacement. 

They'll just send you the replacement CD, you don't need to make another order.

Ask them the replacement CD by mail to be "polite".

15 minutes ago, Bespin said:

They'll just send you the replacement CD, you don't need to make another order.

Ask them the replacement CD by mail to be "polite".

Music Box Records is asking for a new order to replace the CD

3 minutes ago, aescalle said:

Music Box Records is asking for a new order to replace the CD

OK, SO WE'LL BOYCOTT THEM.

AND PLEASE REPORT THEM AT INTRADA, THEY'LL LOST THEIR RIGHT TO DISTRIBUTE THEIR CDs.

ACTION.

REACTION.

13 minutes ago, Bespin said:

OK, SO WE'LL BOYCOTT THEM.

AND PLEASE REPORT THEM AT INTRADA, THEY'LL LOST THEIR RIGHT TO DISTRIBUTE THEIR CDs.

ACTION.

REACTION.

Well, in other side, Intrada get the responsability of all this mess.

3 minutes ago, Bespin said:

It should not become a problem for the customer.

Yes and it seems that it is also a reel mess for MusicBox and other stores. I am waiting for my copy from MBS, and I don't know yet if I will ask for a replacement CD. :conf:

On 8/10/2021 at 10:59 AM, Quppa said:

(Pre-)ordered via Screen Archives which charges $16 for shipping to Australia compared to Intrada's $18 (albeit with a scary warning about not replacing lost packages).

Hey, if you don't mind me asking, did you receive your copy yet?  My order from Screen Archives shipped on 17th August but there is still no sign of it arriving here in Australia yet.

1 hour ago, Oceadge said:

Hey, if you don't mind me asking, did you receive your copy yet?  My order from Screen Archives shipped on 17th August but there is still no sign of it arriving here in Australia yet.

There's definitely something wrong with Australia Post right now. I've been waiting on a domestic delivery from Sydney (to Melbourne) that hasn't had a tracking update since last Monday! Ridiculous.

Worse still, I just got an email from Intrada saying USPS are no longer accepting any international parcels to Australia because Australia Post have temporarily paused incoming international shipments (??????)

Guessing the COVID outbreak in Sydney is causing huge issues with processing times.

18 minutes ago, crumbs said:

There's definitely something wrong with Australia Post right now. I've been waiting on a domestic delivery from Sydney (to Melbourne) that hasn't had a tracking update since last Monday! Ridiculous.

Worse still, I just got an email from Intrada saying USPS are no longer accepting any international parcels to Australia because Australia Post have temporarily paused incoming international shipments (??????)

Guessing the COVID outbreak in Sydney is causing huge issues with processing times.

Wow, interesting, thanks.

My last order from La-La Land Records in July only took about a week so I was getting a little worried but I guess what you have described would explain it!  I hope my order got through to Australia before they paused international shipments!

32 minutes ago, Oceadge said:

Wow, interesting, thanks.

My last order from La-La Land Records in July only took about a week so I was getting a little worried but I guess what you have described would explain it!  I hope my order got through to Australia before they paused international shipments!

Unfortunately with all the border closures and the lack of incoming international flights since Sydney's Delta outbreak, we'll be dealing with these delays for many months to come (especially with Sydney and Melbourne being the main hubs for incoming flights, and both locked down for the foreseeable future).

Super depressing overall. I can't see my Intrada order arriving for months (and I'm already dreading how long Black Friday releases are going to take, if these incoming shipments remain paused. Will be lucky to arrive before 2022).

On 9/1/2021 at 10:07 PM, blondheim said:

Am I crazy...?

No, we are living in a rapidly changing business environment and people just don't catch up to it. In other words, customers may feel entitled to a thorough quality check, but it's just not feasible anymore. 

20 minutes ago, publicist said:

No, we are living in a rapidly changing business environment and people just don't catch up to it. In other words, customers may feel entitled to a thorough quality check, but it's just not feasible anymore. 

Can you clarify on that a little more?

3 minutes ago, blondheim said:

Can you clarify on that a little more?

Call it the writing on the wall: all labels regularly fuck up since years, and we know that releasing film music is just not financially rewarding anymore (if it ever was), so they put out a product within an affordable care range and if stuff slips through, so fucking what?

We may not like it (for me, i really don't care except for weird releases like 'The Mummy Returns', where i kept old Decca cues that sounded better than the new Intrada), but i'm sure it will not get better, but worse. 

The sense of entitlement I’m getting from some posts here is quite extraordinary. Can I just do a reality check that all we’re bitching about here is one (very minor) cue from a 2CD release starting a second or so early?

I’m going to bookmark this thread in case I ever need a cast-iron definition of a first-world problem together with some comically exaggerated whining about it.

Mark

38 minutes ago, QuartalHarmony said:

The sense of entitlement I’m getting from some posts here is quite extraordinary. Can I just do a reality check that all we’re bitching about here is one (very minor) cue from a 2CD release starting a second or so early?

I’m going to bookmark this thread in case I ever need a cast-iron definition of a first-world problem together with some comically exaggerated whining about it.

Mark

Kinda have to agree. We do amazingly well for releases and even if there are errors the labels bend over backwards to correct them. It’s not exactly in their interests to issue faulty merchandise given the hit it must make to their bottom line. 

50 minutes ago, QuartalHarmony said:

Mark

On 9/1/2021 at 4:07 PM, blondheim said:

In Eiger's case, it really must be said that it isn't a very big deal at all and the release is absolutely outstanding but some of these other mistakes with releases are big deals and it doesn't seem to be getting better. It seems so inconvenient to everybody involved but it also seems like such an easily fixable problem.

Am I crazy...?

I was merely commenting about all the mistakes that have been coming in hot and heavy, not specifically Eiger's. I did it in this thread because there was discussion about third-party sellers and the replacement discs. There was speculation as to whether they would come or whether someone would have to make a new order in order to get it, because the seller didn't want to ship all those replacement discs by themselves.

So I just stated that this seems to be so inconvenient to everybody involved, it seems counter-intuitive to their business model in every way. It has to hurt everything from relationship with composers when wrong discs are sent, to lack of trust from the community, to difficulties with shipping and re-shipping and sellers, etc. It just seems like a last-minute checklist is something that isn't getting done properly across the board and is very easy to do.

Eiger was never really the problem at all. This is merely the thread that the information arrived in.

3 minutes ago, blondheim said:

this seems to be so inconvenient to everybody involved, it seems counter-intuitive to their business model in every way

You sound like you think it’s intentional, but you can’t possibly be that stupid!

These are mistakes, made by humans who are just as fallible as you and me. When it’s pointed out, I’m sure those involved are deeply annoyed with themselves for making one tiny mistake in a list of checks that is already probably longer than both my arms. If they aren’t up to your standards, it’s up to you to either

a) do a better job yourself,

b) offer them your services (free of charge, of course, because you’re an enthusiast) to do the job you clearly think they’re making an unforgivable mess of in a superior way, or

c) stop whining and accept it.

Your call.

Mark

On 8/10/2021 at 6:27 PM, Bespin said:

I hope you like harpsichord!

On 8/10/2021 at 6:37 PM, A. A. Ron said:

Personally, I love J Dubs harpsichord writing!

It's kinda weird I know, but while the harpsichord is maybe one of my least favorite instruments of all time, in general (I usually avoid it like the plague in any "classical music")... I absolutely ADORE how Williams has used the harpsichord throughout his career. Jane Eyre, Family Plot, THIS? HELL YES, that's my jam.

Yavar

8 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

It's kinda weird I know, but while the harpsichord is maybe one of my least favorite instruments of all time, in general (I usually avoid it like the plague in any "classical music")... I absolutely ADORE how Williams has used the harpsichord throughout his career. Jane Eyre, Family Plot, THIS? HELL YES, that's my jam.

Yavar

It's funny how I don't really like the harpsichord in On Her Majesty's Secret Service (unless that was some kind of synth, then I don't like whatever that was) but I love it here. 

On 9/9/2021 at 9:18 PM, blondheim said:

So I just stated that this seems to be so inconvenient to everybody involved, it seems counter-intuitive to their business model in every way. It has to hurt everything from relationship with composers when wrong discs are sent, to lack of trust from the community, to difficulties with shipping and re-shipping and sellers, etc. It just seems like a last-minute checklist is something that isn't getting done properly across the board and is very easy to do.

I think you have very reasonable points, and like mentioned above, no doubt that when an issue is found, someone is thinking 'dammit, should've caught that'.

On the Eiger issue I think it's a breathtaking waste of time and resources for Intrada to have to repress and mail out a replacement CD, in order to move a track index by a second. Just imagine the financial hit in repressing and mailing cost they take every time they feel obliged to fix some little issue because someone either doesn't like a choice, or made a small error. I'm not saying they shouldn't be paying attention to these things and taking suggestions on board for future proofing, but I feel QuartalHarmony's intial post above expressed feelings similar to my own.

(I thought I'd seen it all until complaints recently about music included at the end a release because it 'ruined the flow' of the ending. Do the complainants realise how utterly impossible they're making the labels' job?)

34 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

On the Eiger issue I think it's a breathtaking waste of time and resources for Intrada to have to repress and mail out a replacement CD, in order to move a track index by a second. Just imagine the financial hit in repressing and mailing cost they take every time they feel obliged to fix some little issue because someone either doesn't like a choice, or made a small error. I'm not saying they shouldn't be paying attention to these things and taking suggestions on board for future proofing, but I feel QuartalHarmony's intial post above expressed feelings similar to my own.

On 9/1/2021 at 4:07 PM, blondheim said:

In Eiger's case, it really must be said that it isn't a very big deal at all and the release is absolutely outstanding but some of these other mistakes with (other) releases are big deals (...)

If I had been talking about Eiger (or a similarly silly situation), I would've understood QuartalHarmony's initial reaction myself.

10 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I think you have very reasonable points, and like mentioned above, no doubt that when an issue is found, someone is thinking 'dammit, should've caught that'.

(I thought I'd seen it all until complaints recently about music included at the end a release because it 'ruined the flow' of the ending. Do the complainants realise how utterly impossible they're making the labels' job?)

Or, they could get the release right and avoid it being an issue.  This problem should not be put on people who simply want to be given a non-defective product, which is implied in the purchase.

Even though I haven't followed all the replies in the thread, and while most seem to be about "nuts-and-bolts" issues that don't interest me that much, I'm thrilled to see a thread about THE EIGER SANCTION reach 12 pages and almost 600 replies (and about 12k views?). It's been somewhat of an overlooked gem for many years (due, no doubt, to the scarcity of the OST), but getting lots of traction now.