THE EIGER SANCTION (1975) - 2021 2-CD Expanded Edition from Intrada Records

Jay

On 9/9/2021 at 2:21 PM, Oceadge said:

Hey, if you don't mind me asking, did you receive your copy yet?  My order from Screen Archives shipped on 17th August but there is still no sign of it arriving here in Australia yet.

Yes, but I might have been lucky - I ordered mine on 2021-08-09, it was shipped on 2021-08-16 and it arrived on 2021-09-07. Incidentally, the tracking URL didn't work for me, but putting the tracking number into https://parcelsapp.com/ did.

11 hours ago, Quppa said:

Yes, but I might have been lucky - I ordered mine on 2021-08-09, it was shipped on 2021-08-16 and it arrived on 2021-09-07. Incidentally, the tracking URL didn't work for me, but putting the tracking number into https://parcelsapp.com/ did.

Thanks.  My copy arrived yesterday!  Delivered by Couriers Please.

On 9/14/2021 at 9:33 AM, Tallguy said:

I got my replacement disc yesterday. Now I just need to find the time to rip it.

Thanks, Intrada!

Hmm. Did they just start shipping them out? I haven’t gotten a notification on a replacement disc for me being shipped; I got a reply from Intrada telling me that I would be added to the list of orders in need of a replacement disc, and that it would be sent to me as soon as the replacement discs came in, but that was about a month ago. Should I send another e-Mail just in case?

25 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

Hmm. Did they just start shipping them out? I haven’t gotten a notification on a replacement disc for me being shipped; I got a reply from Intrada telling me that I would be added to the list of orders in need of a replacement disc, and that it would be sent to me as soon as the replacement discs came in, but that was about a month ago. Should I send another e-Mail just in case?

I have no idea. I didn't get any notice that it was coming. It just showed up.

On 9/10/2021 at 11:28 PM, Bespin said:

Harpsichord was a torture instrument.

Change my mind.

Nyman's look in that still pic is the perfect response to your post. :D

4 hours ago, KittBash said:

Check your intrada account (if you purchased from them) I did and found a tracking number for my replacement disc. 

No need to; I got home from work, and there it was. Funny how that worked out.

7 hours ago, Chewy said:

Looks like it is back in stock :)

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.12305/.f

Not that they need me as a cheerleader or anything, but:

Seriously. This is the release of the year. And this was the same summer where I got Always and The Wrath of Khan!

On 8/12/2021 at 11:20 PM, Amer said:

Well my copy shipped, so that’s a relief! 

Well, I finally found time to listen to the OST album and its stunning. For me its certainly a 'Lost score' since I never had  it or heard the original OOP album. And hearing it first in pristine sound- remastered et al is a great experience. I  have opted to play this disc2 first and will continue to play only this until I'am completely familiar with the mood and presentation of the programed music. Thereby giving me enough ground before I experience the film version of the score - which most of you find superior as a presentation and sound. Can this really be better sounding than JAWS after all ?

Right now the previously unreleased 'Flugelhorn' version of the 'Eiger Theme' is certainly getting the most replay of all the cues. I just love the smoky/sultry jazz inspiration here. 

5 hours ago, Amer said:

Right now the previously unreleased 'Flugelhorn' version of the 'Eiger Theme' is certainly getting the most replay of all the cues. I just love the smoky/sultry jazz inspiration here. 

That isn't previously unreleased, it's track 2 of the original soundtrack album (which is why it's also track 2 here).

On disc 2, tracks 1-13 is the original soundtrack album, the same as it's always been (except trade 1 doesn't fade out early like it does on the Varese CD)

tracks 14-16 are source music from the film recordings

tracks 17-19 are additional tracks recorded at the album recording sessions that were unreleased until now

Thanks. Since I haven't heard Disc 1 as yet is the Flugelhorn version found on Disc 1 program in any form/variation or is it exclusive to Disc 2 OST? 

28 minutes ago, Amer said:

Thanks. Since I haven't heard Disc 1 as yet is the Flugelhorn version found on Disc 1 program in any form/variation or is it exclusive to Disc 2 OST? 

All the tracks on the original soundtrack album are derived from cues recorded for the film; None of the album tracks are new inventions of any kind

01. The Eiger Sanction (Main Title) (2:46) derived from 01 Main Title
02. Theme From The Eiger Sanction (Flugelhorn Version) (2:57) derived from 06 Love Scene (which is actually the cue for looking at the art collection)
03. Fifty Miles Of Desert (2:54) = derived from 14 Car Chase
04. The Icy Ascent (3:44) = derived from 23 The Icy Ascent
05. Friends And Enemies (3:03) = derived from both cues inside 10 Friends and Enemies
06. The Top Of The World (3:09) = derived from both cues inside 12 The Top Of The World
07. Theme From The Eiger Sanction (2:12) = derived from 27 End Title
08. Training With George (2:15) = derived from the third cue inside 11 Montage - Running With George
09. Theme From The Eiger Sanction (Hemlock And Jemima) (2:10) = derived from the first cue inside 09 The Unlocked Safe (actually the love scene music)
10. George Sets The Pace (2:42) = derived from the 1st and 2nd cues inside 11 Montage - Running With George
11. The Microfilm Killing (2:08) = derived from the first cue inside 08 Art Masterpieces (music for a deleted scene involving the unlocked safe) and then 02 The Microfilm Killing
12. Up The Drainpipe (3:21) = derived from 05 Up The Drainpipe
13. The Eiger (2:17) = derived from 16 The Eiger
17. Theme From The Eiger Sanction (Love Scene) (2:20) = also derived from the first cue in 09 The Unlocked Safe (the love scene music), so its like an "alternate version" of OST track 9
18. Hemlock Leads The Climb (3:08) = derived from 19 Leading The Climb
19. Theme From The Eiger Sanction (Reprise) (3:10) = also derived from 06 Love Scene (the music for looking at the art collection), so its like an "alternate version" of OST track 2

2 hours ago, Amer said:

The Flugelhorn verison is quite different from the version on disc 1. It's played much more freely and with a more jazzy feel. There is also an alternate version of the flugelhorn version on disc 2, which is again a bit different. I think Williams gave the players a bit of freedom to improvise. At least the solos are different.

Oh definitely.  He tried to give the album an overall more jazzy feel than the actual film score has; I wonder if this was an edict from MCA Records, thinking it would sell more that way or something

On 20/09/2021 at 7:25 AM, Chewy said:

ROTFLMAOROTFLMAO

I wasn’t bitching about the issue, @chewy, nor suggesting the labels were incompetent for not spotting the problem.

As it happens, I’m not too fussed about getting a replacement, I was just wondering if they were sent out automatically.

Apologies if any of this disappoints you, just when you thought you were having a good laugh at my expense.

Mark

Does anybody know how the replacement disc process is with screenarchives? 

I had ordered this set through them, I have recently sent them an email about this but no response yet...

On 29/08/2021 at 1:47 PM, Jay said:

Just cut the end of the track 14 rip and paste it into the beginning of the track 15 rip. No need to rip the CD any differently from usual first

Is there a way to do this in iTunes? I know I can just rip the section I want to get 'Dinner with Gem' from track 14 but is there any way to rip across the two tracks to get all of 'Never Quaver' in one go?

Is there any indication as to where the three extra tracks recorded at the OST sessions where meant to go in the album playlist? Or where they just recorded as alternate options?

9 hours ago, John Chambers said:

Is there a way to do this in iTunes? I know I can just rip the section I want to get 'Dinner with Gem' from track 14 but is there any way to rip across the two tracks to get all of 'Never Quaver' in one go?

No idea, sorry.  I use EAC to rip physical CDs.

9 hours ago, John Chambers said:

Is there any indication as to where the three extra tracks recorded at the OST sessions where meant to go in the album playlist? Or where they just recorded as alternate options?

I don't think it worked like that - I don't think he envisioned a whole album in his head, then recorded it all, then ended up cutting three tracks out last minute.  

I think they recorded a bunch of music, then made an album out of what they liked the most, which only ended up using 13 of the 16 cuts they laid down.

For me personally, I enjoy the album much better if I make it chronological, like this:

1. 1    The Eiger Sanction (Main Title)
  2. 11B [0:49-end]    The Microfilm Killing
  3. 12    Up The Drainpipe
  4. 2    Theme From ‘The Eiger Sanction’ (Flugelhorn Version)
  5. 11A [0:00-0:49]   The Microfilm Killing The Safe
  6. 9    Theme From ‘The Eiger Sanction’ (Hemlock And Jemima)
  7. 5    Friends And Enemies
  8. 10    George Sets The Pace
  9. 8    Training With George
  10. 6    The Top Of The World
  11. 3    Fifty Miles Of Desert
  12. 13    The Eiger
  13. 18    Hemlock Leads The Climb
  14. 4    The Icy Ascent
  15. 7    Theme From ‘The Eiger Sanction’ (End Title)
  16. 17    Theme From ‘The Eiger Sanction’ (Love Scene)
  17. 19    Theme From ‘The Eiger Sanction’ (Reprise)

• 2 weeks later...

Following the reference in the liner notes, I’ve tracked down Kyle Eastwood’s cover of The Eiger Sanction and it’s definitely worth checking out. It’s on his 2019 album Cinematic and could make a fun bonus track on your playlists.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

What's interesting is, I kind of feel like this wouldn't be a "deep cut" if the OST album hadn't been so hard to track down for the last 30 years. If it had been remastered and kept in print the whole time, and/or we got got a debut of the film recordings earlier, the score might have had a quite different history

I'm not sure how I discovered it in the "wilderness years". YouTube I think. It has that super cool 70's (not QUITE elevator music) vibe with a Williams sheen to it. I hadn't really heard anything like it. It was like Earthquake but I could listen to it. (I'm not a fan of Earthquake. TOO 70's.)

This CD was a must have.

My only exposure to this score was one of the poppier arrangements of the main theme, so I pretty much subconsciously wrote off the rest of the score for years.  Not available, not intriguing, not a problem for me.  But thanks to the new release—and, even more so, thanks to@TownerFan's excellent podcast with Mattessino commemorating it—I was exposed to cues like "Top of the World" and the training material, and this became an instant buy.  One of the joys of the mature phase of my Williams fandom has been discovering that there's something worth having even on the Williams scores you think you don't care about (even that one cue on Images that I can't bring myself to buy the whole album for... :banghead:)

At last I got to listen to it. What a rich and diverse score! 

I found that the main title with its classical oriented part reminded me of the main theme of Presumed Innocent, where Williams did something similar, but with piano instead of harpsichord. 

Some underscore reminded me in style of Family Plot others even of Stepmom. But still very original everything.

Then I thought, if there would have been a vocalized version of the main theme, it would sound like 100% Morricone. :)

• 3 weeks later...