THE EIGER SANCTION (1975) - 2021 2-CD Expanded Edition from Intrada Records

Jay

6 minutes ago, Thor said:

People were bothered by this? 

It looks like his foot is buried in the snow, which would make sense.

It does NOT look like his foot is buried in the snow.  Here is Intrada's first pressing cover:

EigerSanction_isc465_1600a.jpg

Here's the cover of the original 1975 soundtrack album

R-3633024-1544274092-4605.jpeg.jpg

May I try to disperse the enveloping depression by pointing out that the music sounds exactly the same on all releases, and the liner notes are identical?

I suppose some people have a low threshold for what they regard as being ‘shat on’.

Mark

10 hours ago, crumbs said:

The radio silence from Disney on the issues with Hunchback is pathetic indeed. 

It is. I’ve bought it because Hunchback is an amazing score but I’m glad there are Some expert unofficial fixes for most of the errors on this release. Given how good even free audio editing software these days, it’s unforgivable really. It’s not like these are defects in the source tapes that are just beyond salvation.

Anyway, I digress. Loving the Eiger Sanction. I don’t think I’d ever really appreciated the score that much previously as the original album misses off some of the more interesting material and, yeah, the sound quality was pretty poor so the sonic improvement is pretty much night and day. And as for the cover. I have it in iTunes and there are some mighty talented custom cover artists out there…

On 12/11/2021 at 5:32 PM, QuartalHarmony said:

May I try to disperse the enveloping depression by pointing out that the music sounds exactly the same on all releases, and the liner notes are identical?

I suppose some people have a low threshold for what they regard as being ‘shat on’.

Mark

This.

Personally, I'm waiting for someone to open a booklet, find a 'John Williams' credit where the font has insufficent contrast with the background, and publicly shame the label into repressing it.

Although given some of the comments I read about the Wild Wild West DE cover over at FSM, it's defnitely not limited to 'big' stuff. That was some of the most hilariously entitled shit I've ever read.

It's also why whoever eventually does Star Wars doesn't have a hope in hell.

7 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

It's also why whoever eventually does Star Wars doesn't have a hope in hell.

Sure, if they put in no care like the ones who did these covers or if they do zero effort shit like the demasters or that coke poster cover.

1 minute ago, JTWfan77 said:

Yes. It looks like it is frozen in ice.

No, it looks like someone was incompetent enough to stretch the image to go under the nontransparent text box.

On the sequencing of the OST recording, on my iTunes rip, I decided to place track 18 "Hemlock Leads The Climb (3:08)" as "track 10", after "Theme From The Eiger Sanction (Hemlock And Jemima)" and before "George Sets The Pace". So my album program has now 14 tracks.

I think this is the best place to include it as it gives more room between the George training material that is simmilar.

Tracks 17 and 19 I kept as extras at the end of the film score program, as they seem like alternate options Williams recorded to the album tracks 09 and 06.

3 hours ago, Holko said:

No, it looks like someone was incompetent enough to stretch the image to go under the nontransparent text box.

I think you're oversimplifying a creative issue. Two things I notice comparing the original cover to the new one are that the falling guy on the right is a lot bigger and clearer, and that Eastwood's ice axe is placed cleanly between the two words of the title.

Exactly what creative decisions were behind this placement, only the Intrada guys can tell us, but those are just two possible reasons why someone might have decided to zoom in on the original image, and perhaps didn't think that seeing his entire foot was particularly important.

You're taking creative decisions that you don't necessarily agree with, and just filing them under 'incompetence' every time, without knowing the full context of why they chose to do it that way. The fact that they altered it for future pressings shows they're listening to subsequent feedback and acting on it, which is good.

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

A Q.Q. regarding TRAINING WITH GEORGE and GEORGE SETS THE PACE:

What are the musical influences, with these tracks?

Probably stuff like this

14 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

You're taking creative decisions that you don't necessarily agree with, and just filing them under 'incompetence' every time, without knowing the full context of why they chose to do it that way.

And you're being overly apologetic for obvious incompetence every time. This is Intrada and even they chose to fix it, that's gotta mean something. Though I'll happily keep crumbs' great cover with the proper non-generic font and such anyway.

Yeah, they got feedback on a creative decision. That's not incompetence. I'm really tired of hearing that word in this context when you don't know what they were aiming to do.

I mean, 'incompetence' for the Sleepy Hollow release turned out to be them doing their best to decode a half-documented, chaotic scoring process. But you leapt immediately to caling them unprofessional on their own forum, before allowing them to explain what they had to work with.

Very welcome improvements, it's actually great to see! So when do they stop forcing us to glimpse into the creative process and start shipping the finished products right off the bat instead? :P

Can we rely on better quality check procedures for the future? It's a bit frustrating that it takes months after the actual release to have the final product available.

16 hours ago, ciarlese said:

Can we rely on better quality check procedures for the future? It's a bit frustrating that it takes months after the actual release to have the final product available.

Yes please, the new cover must have been fixe casually in like a minute. The rope at the top is STILL cropped by the "Expanded Original Motion Picture Soundtrack" font. They can't be serious!:mellow:

clint.thumb.jpg.37197f86eb86410ab686e3187f6eaf81.jpg

I mean, I ultimately don't care about these kind of slips, but that kind of quality check worries me.

Lol I made sure that my question can be taken as jesting but Roger says that yes, replacements can be included with future orders if desired.

http://intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8772&start=37

• 1 month later...

Maybe the company printing the booklets accidentally used the older files again after the initial run using the fixed files

I wonder if the disc art was updated to reflect the font change on the cover art? 

Otherwise the fonts won't match even if you get a new booklet sent out.

#firstworldproblems :P

I'm getting the impression they would have to go through another batch before they can properly switch out the booklets, since I was able to get it by requesting it for my next order (The River).

I didn't fully remember the post, because I was pretty surprised by how different the main font ended up being. Certainly matches the previous releases better, which makes it all the more unfortunate there isn't a clean digital copy.

RNbzLB9.jpeg

KHuloJq.jpeg

Here are the scans I made, which I'm sure someone here can do something with:

iGazvZ0.png

jYkYI8a.jpeg