THE EIGER SANCTION (1975) - 2021 2-CD Expanded Edition from Intrada Records

Jay

The revised cover does look better, and assuming that printing booklets isn't that expensive (just paper after all), including a spare one in a future order seems a reasonable request to me.

However, if occasional design revisions like this are the cost of them being able to get out so many releases in the time that they have, then perhaps that's simply a realistic indication of the time and resources available for them to do so.

I just wish so badly that we would focus on the music and its quality, and not on how quickly we can find a design flaw or mistake in the packaging or presentation.

There's certainly no doubt in my mind that this is a glorious release in terms of music and presentation. Comfortably my favourite of 2021.

What a goldmine of unused and unreleased score! I hope we get another title in the future with a similarly unexpected discovery of unused music.

6 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I just wish so badly that we would focus on the music and its quality, and not on how quickly we can find a design flaw or mistake in the packaging or presentation.

Maybe they shouldn't put zero effort in their shoddy designs. We don't want to go back to the 90s, the packaging should at least attempt to somewhat reflect the quality of the product therein.

Looking forward to getting mine. I have heard it online, but My copy is in the post.I have  bought it for christmas! Going to give this a deep listen! Also got the Fury expanded on its way as well!

Yea as you can gather, I have A bit of catching up to do.  I'm getting there slowly. Mainly because if their out of print then you are paying way over the odds for it!  So i have to take my time and wait for a decent price to immerge from somewhere.  And living in the uk paying for postage from the US ads a lot to the price.

When I read the complains about out of print CDs of JW soundtracks, I think, that people are not aware that they live currently in paradise for JW fans concerning availability of soundtracks. I have quite a collection of JW CDs, but I collected LPs and CDs of JW scores over a time period of over 40 years and I can say, at no time so much was available so complete as it is today. If you start collecting now, be patient. Latest in about 30 years from now you can have it all. ;)

Well yes , I grew up with his music too. And have always bought the original soundtracks!  Its the expanded stuff where I am behind. I have pretty much everything digitally. And have heard all of the expanded stuff. Just some of the physical cds I'm after. Like I said, getting there slowly. I think my first buy was the superman soundtrack on cassette! However i loved it, and played it to death!

Ugh, I just got the replacement disc, now I got to jump through hoops to get the replacement cover too?

I mean, I shouldn’t care, it’s such a minor thing, but I do…

I feel sad, not also for my own pettiness about these details, but also for Intrada to have to spend a lot of money and effort in correcting these physical products.

They really don’t need to - although it’s much appreciated.

It's thankful that reprinting some booklets is probably one of the simpler elements to re-do.

What if LLL did another run of the Jurassic box, and decided at the same time to rectify the 'teeth' issue while they were there - would everyone expect to be sent another booklet for free because it rendered the original run 'defective'?

On 04/01/2022 at 5:09 AM, Holko said:

Maybe they shouldn't put zero effort in their shoddy designs.

The only time I can remember when we got any glimpse of 'zero effort' was when Intrada accidentally uploaded an in-progress version of the Apollo 13 cover, which looked like it was created to approve image/text placement, and didn't have any 'integration' work.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Didn't they offer replacement booklets with added teeth?

No, MV gave his usual, and sensible response, which was 'live with it'.

• 4 weeks later...

All of them are unique recordings and arrangements, here's what they're derived from:

On 20/09/2021 at 5:04 PM, Jay said:

All the tracks on the original soundtrack album are derived from cues recorded for the film; None of the album tracks are new inventions of any kind

01. The Eiger Sanction (Main Title) (2:46) derived from 01 Main Title
02. Theme From The Eiger Sanction (Flugelhorn Version) (2:57) derived from 06 Love Scene (which is actually the cue for looking at the art collection)
03. Fifty Miles Of Desert (2:54) = derived from 14 Car Chase
04. The Icy Ascent (3:44) = derived from 23 The Icy Ascent
05. Friends And Enemies (3:03) = derived from both cues inside 10 Friends and Enemies
06. The Top Of The World (3:09) = derived from both cues inside 12 The Top Of The World
07. Theme From The Eiger Sanction (2:12) = derived from 27 End Title
08. Training With George (2:15) = derived from the third cue inside 11 Montage - Running With George
09. Theme From The Eiger Sanction (Hemlock And Jemima) (2:10) = derived from the first cue inside 09 The Unlocked Safe (actually the love scene music)
10. George Sets The Pace (2:42) = derived from the 1st and 2nd cues inside 11 Montage - Running With George
11. The Microfilm Killing (2:08) = derived from the first cue inside 08 Art Masterpieces (music for a deleted scene involving the unlocked safe) and then 02 The Microfilm Killing
12. Up The Drainpipe (3:21) = derived from 05 Up The Drainpipe
13. The Eiger (2:17) = derived from 16 The Eiger
17. Theme From The Eiger Sanction (Love Scene) (2:20) = also derived from the first cue in 09 The Unlocked Safe (the love scene music), so its like an "alternate version" of OST track 9
18. Hemlock Leads The Climb (3:08) = derived from 19 Leading The Climb
19. Theme From The Eiger Sanction (Reprise) (3:10) = also derived from 06 Love Scene (the music for looking at the art collection), so its like an "alternate version" of OST track 2

The new jazzy ending of the Main Title and the improv bit in Friends and Enemies are basically the only real "new" aspects of the album re-recording; Everything else is very similar to the film recordings, except modified in tempo and orchestration a bit throughout

Personally, I much prefer the film recordings over the album recordings.

I honestly haven't been able to decide. It's a joy to have both. And unlike most other rerecordings where I settle in on one that I usually listen to I almost always play both (although not usually on the same sitting). 

• 1 month later...

But the converse -  a bad or mediocre film is for usually elevated to some degree by a good score.  I have trouble declaring a rubbish film absolute trash if it has a redeeming musical score.

Exactly... and that's why I know films like Supergirl are garbage, but because of the score I want to like them more than they deserve, and so I do.  I mean, bad script, clunky direction, bizarre performances, and yet the Goldsmith score is part of the experience, so it's not all bad.  And so it becomes somewhat of a guilty pleasure.

• 5 months later...

What do you guys think JW's thinking when listening to Mike's proposed expansion assemblies, especially wih a score so far back in time as this, how much does he remember?  Does he go "damn I was good"? Or "oooooh, so that's where I stole this new theme from! I knew it was familiar"? Or "hah, I was such a rookie, playing a diminished 7th together with a C flat"? He can't hate them too much if he accepts them with little interference.

That's a really, really great and interesting question.

I wish we had any insight into it!

I'm sure even Mike only hears what Jamie filters through to him.

Mostly what transpires between Matessino and Richardson is soley on what goes in and what goes out via notes made by Williams. Honestly, I'd love to be fly on the wall but it would be actually a very cringe worthy moment for some of us... if we heard everything. :)

I guess, Williams wonders why some freaks like us are so interested in some of his background scoring, which he purposely left away on his O.S.T.s. On the other hand, I think, he is happy about these things getting perserved and so carefully restored for the afterworld.

But maybe sometimes he thinks "Oh, I actually forgot about this one. That's nice. I should have written a violin arrangment for Anne-Sophie from that one."

Or probably just remembrances of the recording sessions and his work with the players and the orchestra come up.

The booklet is sent to Jamie and Jamie will tell Mike if it is is approved or if any changes are requested, who know if JW reads every word in every booklet 100% of the time, or sometimes defers to Jamie's judgement, etc

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...