Jerry Goldsmith’s BLACK PATCH (1957) & THE MAN (1972) — NEW RECORDINGS 2021 Intrada Kickstarter!

Yavar Moradi

21 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I was hoping for a score by a golden age composer.

Well at least you still got a Golden Age score… with gorgeous sweeping Golden Age romance at the core, amid the more spare Silver Agey stuff.

Yavar

Surprised there isn’t more interest here in a premiere recording of Jerry Goldsmith’s very first film score. It’s got an amazing melody at the heart of it, from Goldsmith’s “top drawer” IMO:

You can hear a lot of highlight cues from the score in better quality in this very early Goldsmith Odyssey podcast episode (including the score’s one real action cue):

https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/656592-episode-1-black-patch-1957

Thankfully general interest in this recording seems high, as the Kickstarter impressively passed its halfway mark just a little more than 24 hours after it began. By comparison Intrada’s 2018 first Kickstarter campaign (for Tiomkin’s Dial M for Murder) took over 400 hours to reach the halfway mark.

Yavar

Well I already help Intrada, by purchasing their expansions. I'm sure some titles are due to be reprinted... so they just have to raise a bit the prices of them, they'll finance the new rerecordings!

@Jay, what are the current important OOR (out of reach!) Intrada titles?

I don't understand the question.   Are you asking about titles currently out of stock?  Or titles currently available?  And what do you mean by "important"?

They already have a page on their website that specifically lists their own titles with low quantities remaining:

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/sc.16/category.66697/.f

As well as a page where you can click open each of their different lines of their own titles, so you can view them without CDs from other labels mixed in

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/sc.16/category.22850/.f

The project sounds amazing. I really hope it gets the funding it needs. I think scores should get re-recorded way more often. I wish I were in a better financial situation at the moment to give to this. I will keep a note on my desktop in case things turn around.

Give, people who can, so people who can't can prosper

8 hours ago, Jay said:

The all-capital letters of the thread title hurts my eyes

Better?

8 hours ago, blondheim said:

The project sounds amazing. I really hope it gets the funding it needs. I think scores should get re-recorded way more often. I wish I were in a better financial situation at the moment to give to this. I will keep a note on my desktop in case things turn around.

Give, people who can, so people who can't can prosper

So you can actually support with any amount you can afford under $30, if so inclined, as long as you don’t expect to receive a perk (besides updates).

I’m sure this will be successful. They hit the halfway mark just a day in, while Intrada’s last Kickstarter, Dial M for Murder, took over 15 days in to do so. That’s the power of Goldsmith even if people don’t know the films or scores.

Yavar

On 8/9/2021 at 7:19 AM, Yavar Moradi said:

Surprised there isn’t more interest here in a premiere recording of Jerry Goldsmith’s very first film score. 

Because it's frankly not that interesting to listen to Goldsmith emulating his (then-) peers for another B-western treading water. I found the recently released score to 'Face of a Fugitive' blah as well, though at least here i will put some shekels into it because it's a thing of duty.

Yes. Even though I currently have 67 Goldsmith soundtracks (which is more than most other composers in my collection), I'm by no means a completist, and I still have several "regular" soundtracks I need to get, or re-get. So my interest isn't really in the obscure or previously unreleased. But I can certainly transcribe the passion to my own for Williams -- if it were a re-recording of DADDY-O, I'd be all over it. I can see where Yavar is coming from, in other words.

5 hours ago, Thor said:

Yes. Even though I currently have 67 Goldsmith soundtracks (which is more than most other composers in my collection), I'm by no means a completist, and I still have several "regular" soundtracks I need to get, or re-get. So my interest isn't really in the obscure or previously unreleased.

But… I thought you liked re-recordings of older scores better than regular soundtracks?

6 hours ago, publicist said:

Because it's frankly not that interesting to listen to Goldsmith emulating his (then-) peers for another B-western treading water. I found the recently released score to 'Face of a Fugitive' blah as well, though at least here i will put some shekels into it because it's a thing of duty.

Sorry to hear you didn’t like Face of a Fugitive; it might not always sound like mature Goldsmith but I heard a lot of his voice in that still — we pointed out several examples (besides the action music) in this podcast:

https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/8192306-odyssey-soundtrack-spotlight-face-of-a-fugitive-1959

Not sure what you mean by “treading water”, and I’d love to know what peers you think Jerry was emulating. I hear influence from Rozsa and Previn in the Face of a Fugitive main title, but I’m not sure whose influence I hear in Black Patch — possibly Alfred Newman for the heartbreakingly beautiful romantic sequence. Who do you hear (and apparently not care for, lol)?

So how about The Man? Is that of more interest to you coming from the best era of his career?

Yavar

8 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

But… I thought you liked re-recordings of older scores better than regular soundtracks?

Sure. Most of the "regular" JG soundtracks I'm missing and desiring are of a newer date.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Sure. Most of the "regular" JG soundtracks I'm missing and desiring are of a newer date.

Ah, I kinda thought you were automatically interested in re-recordings of older scores as long as it was a composer you liked.

Yavar

4 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Not sure what you mean by “treading water”, and I’d love to know what peers you think Jerry was emulating. I hear influence from Rozsa and Previn in the Face of a Fugitive main title, but I’m not sure whose influence I hear in Black Patch — possibly Alfred Newman for the heartbreakingly beautiful romantic sequence. Who do you hear (and apparently not care for, lol)?

So how about The Man? Is that of more interest to you coming from the best era of his career?

Not only Newman, but Duning, Harline etc., whose western scores for the countless B-westerns of the 50's sound similar enough. It's not music i would find myself listening too, and it's certainly not an example of Goldsmith surpassing the film he is writing for (like i. e. '100 Rifles' and other later scores).

'The Man' is rather short and scattered and the core material is very close the Copland and his iconic fanfare, a piece of music which i also don't particularly like as reiterant role model in american film music. Though at least Goldsmith's craftmanship often outdoes charges of mere imitation.

Be that as it may, both are works by this composer i consider less important, so i gladly would pay more for a great headliner score which would carry both of these (not 'Inchon', please, 'The Chairman' or, yes, 'Lionheart' would be worthy candidates).

I would also be very interested in a Lionheart re-recording, even though I like the one we have just fine. I'd like to see it go to an ensemble other than the City of Prague, unless they can strum up more Sturm und Drang than they did for Conan.

33 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

Isn't the Intrada 3CD set from Inchon enough?

It is three times the same less than mediocre sounding stuff, so no it is not enough, even with three discs.

Again, I think that score could get much more love if it was re-recorded and sounded acceptable.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

...but instead we get something only Yavar wants. ;)

I'm not longing for those two scores, but it is definitely necessary to re-record those two in order to complete the Goldsmith catalogue. Black Patch is now the last feature film score (excluding TV) that hasn't got an official release yet.

6 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

It is three times the same less than mediocre sounding stuff, so no it is not enough, even with three discs.

Again, I think that score could get much more love if it was re-recorded and sounded acceptable.

Amen. The score is good. 

Karol

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

If I had the free decision and the financial means for six re-recordings of a Jerry Goldsmith score I would choose:

• 100 Rifles (sound)
  • The Chairman (lost)
  • Inchon (sound)
  • The Last Run (lost)
  • Lionheart (performance)
  • Ransom (lost)

Surprised nobody has added his unused score to Babe to this list. I believe the written score exists so, technically, it would be even easier to do that Black Patch and The Man. Given that the actual score has managed to be both re-recorded and the original soundtrack expanded, I’d have thought a recording of Jerry’s score would sell pretty well. I’d certainly love to hear it.

5 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Surprised nobody has added his unused score to Babe to this list. I believe the written score exists so, technically, it would be even easier to do that Black Patch and The Man. Given that the actual score has managed to be both re-recorded and the original soundtrack expanded, I’d have thought a recording of Jerry’s score would sell pretty well. I’d certainly love to hear it.

Ha, i had the same idea last year! I think it's on their radar but there might be problems with studio politics. It would be a great headliner to those two (or possibly one, The Man if i had to choose), especially since more people would turn up for 90's JG for a popular movie.

11 minutes ago, publicist said:

Ha, i had the same idea last year! I think it's on their radar but there might be problems with studio politics. It would be a great headliner to those two (or possibly one, The Man if i had to choose), especially since more people would turn up for 90's JG for a popular movie.

Studio politics certainly sounds like a likely reason given, as you say, the composer and period of his career are probably more saleable than Black Patch for many. I can't really think why any studio would object really. The movie was, what, 25 years ago and isn't part of an ongoing franchise where lawyers and marketing get all sweaty about the risk of it impacting their "product". It feels like something that'll happen eventually, just need someone to tick the right box sometime.

1 minute ago, publicist said:

A Goldsmith 'outtakes' box would be probably up my alley. Certainly more than for another old western.

Well I'll get pretty much anything Goldsmith but that sounds great. I would certainly love another set of suites like on the Tadlow Blue Max re-recording (indeed I've listened to that section of the album more times than The Blue Max itself!) which forms a terrific cross section of his work that steps a little outside the standard selections in mostly lengthier suites. It's great to hear stuff from The Chairman etc sound so fresh. Tadlow have done three such selections of suites for Maurice Jarre and more of that for Jerry would be superb.

But I digress... yay Black Patch!

9 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

But I digress... yay Black Patch!

Yay 100 Rifles. Up until (and including) Lonely Are The Brave i tried and gave up. It's just not for me. 

Just now, publicist said:

Yay 100 Rifles. Up until (and including) Lonely Are The Brave i tried and gave up. It's just not for me. 

That's fair enough, you can't like everything! I don't love his western scores as much as some, but whatever else, the main theme from Take a Hard Ride is cracking (even though I often forget which of his western scores is the one with the particularly excellent main theme lol).

On 8/12/2021 at 3:46 AM, Brundlefly said:

If I had the free decision and the financial means for six re-recordings of a Jerry Goldsmith score I would choose:

• 100 Rifles (sound)
  • The Chairman (lost)
  • Inchon (sound)
  • The Last Run (lost)
  • Lionheart (performance)
  • Ransom (lost)

All of these are quite good picks except for The Last Run. While the film recording of that is indeed lost, Goldsmith himself produced a unique album recording at the time of the film. While some of his album recordings were substantially different in sound, arrangement, or performance from the film recordings (Capricorn One, Damien: Omen II, Masada), other ones were extremely faithful and this was one of those. I’m pretty sure every cue was also included on the album…so while I would love it if the original film tracks showed up some day, as long as I have a great sounding recording under Goldsmith’s baton I have no need for a new recording when there’s so much other stuff we can’t get any other way which deserves a new recording more.

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/cds/detail.cfm/CDID/374/Last-Run-Crosscurrent-The-Scorpio-Letters-The/

http://collections.new.oscars.org/Details/Archive/71302975

Assuming the album track “Spanish Coast” is the equivalent of “Jerry’s Farewell” on the written score, I’m pretty sure this was a rare case of the original LP album being the complete score albeit a rerecording rather than the film recording (Stagecoach was also a rerecording and also virtually complete.)

Yavar

1 hour ago, Yavar Moradi said:

All of these are quite good picks except for The Last Run. While the film recording of that is indeed lost, Goldsmith himself produced a unique album recording at the time of the film. While some of his album recordings were substantially different in sound, arrangement, or performance from the film recordings (Capricorn One, Damien: Omen II, Masada), other ones were extremely faithful and this was one of those. I’m pretty sure every cue was also included on the album…so while I would love it if the original film tracks showed up some day, as long as I have a great sounding recording under Goldsmith’s baton I have no need for a new recording when there’s so much other stuff we can’t get any other way which deserves a new recording more.

That makes sense. So forget about The Last Run in my list.

100 Rifles would certainly be a challenge to record. But I wouldn't mind Ransom and The Chairman getting an updated release. 

The rest I'm satisfied with, the original recordings are fine enough. Although I would like someone to tackle to Rambo II End Credits.

As of now, 11.5 days after its launch the Kickstarter stands at $35,130 with only $2,870 left to go. And it just hit an important milestone: its 404th backer — this is how many backers Dial M for Murder, a much more famous title, received at the end of its 30 day campaign… three years ago when we were living in far less uncertain times pre-pandemic.

Yavar

On 8/6/2021 at 4:19 PM, Yavar Moradi said:

Wow. Apparently Intrada was not content bringing us FIVE Goldsmith premieres over the past year or so… they decided to record two great Goldsmith scores that no longer survive — afresh!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/129145902/black-patch-the-man-jerry-goldsmith-new-recording/description

This is now just a few hundred $$$ away from being funded, after just two weeks (less than halfway through the 30 day campaign). Incredible!

Yavar