14th/15th/16th Oct. Meetup in Berlin

Henry Sítrónu

14th/15th/16th Oct. Meetup in Berlin  

22 members have voted

1. 1. When would be the best time for a meetup?

• Thursday before the concert
    • Thursday after the concert
    • Friday before the concert
    • Friday after the concert
    • Saturday before the concert
    • Saturday after the concert

Nice! A local guide is most helpful (I've been to Berlin 7-8 times in recent years, but I'm still not quite sure where the "best spots" are).

I can meet both before and after the Thursday concert, which is "mine". But even if I'm not attending any more concerts, I could always meet up before or after the Friday concert. I haven't yet decided if I'm leaving on Saturday or Sunday.

19 minutes ago, obiwan71 said:

Well... count me in, though in those pandemic times I've been having very (very) few contacts. Despite beng fully vaccinated (got my second shot on June 20th), I keep on being really cautious and avoiding crowds indoors. Dining indoors still doesn't feel safe to me right now, given the spread of the Delta variant.

Actually I'd prefer an outdoor meeting, too. October CAN be very lovely in Berlin. Or very rainy and cold. :P

9 hours ago, Henry Sítrónu said:

Actually I'd prefer an outdoor meeting, too. October CAN be very lovely in Berlin. Or very rainy and cold. :P

Isn't there the one or the other beach bar nearby? But probably not in the middle of October anymore?

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

Isn't there the one or the other beach bar nearby? But probably not in the middle of October anymore?

I would suggest this beer garden in the heart of the government district. No idea though if it’s open in mid October (the restaurant surely is). Will check that out!

https://www.zollpackhof.de/en/welcome-to-zollpackhof/

https://goo.gl/maps/gC2X68GbidSsbGGK7

Not sure if I've got much preference over when.... but I'd love to be involved in a meet up. It would be lovely to put some faces to names. I regretted not getting involved in Vienna. 

I suppose subgroups (at least those who aren't there on Saturday) should find a way to meet up on one of the other days (in addition to the "big" meeting on presumably Saturday).

10 hours ago, Henry Sítrónu said:

Hm, Saturday is the winner so far. @Miguel Andrade@Thor@rough cut @toothlessdo you haven't voted for Saturday evening – do you think you could make anyway or is it impossible for you at all?

I don't think so. I have a very early flight back on Sunday, so I'll probably just grab something to eat and try to have some sleep before heading to the airport.

No worries it’s how it is 🙂

However, on Friday, I’ll be whistling Ray’s theme (counterpoint included) in the Philharmoniker hallways so feel free to say hi if you pass by me 😂

11 hours ago, Henry Sítrónu said:

Hm, Saturday is the winner so far. @Miguel Andrade@Thor@rough cut @toothlessyou haven't voted for Saturday evening – do you think you could make anyway or is it impossible for you at all?

Yeah, as I prolonged the stay, I can meet up any and all days from Wednesday to Saturday. On Sunday, I'll just check out and hang around the city for a few hours before my evening flight. One of the evenings, I'm probably meeting up with a composer I know who lives in Berlin, though.

• 1 month later...

So there is the famous Berlin Currywurst. It's delicious. In Germany, people argue whether the currywurst was "invented" in Berlin or in the Ruhr area. But it tastes good in any case:)

There is, to be more serious, the Berlin Museum Island, where there is much to discover. We have a newly opened Humboldt Forum and a great Natural History Museum

Adding myself to this! Currently only going to the Thursday concert (by myself) albeit if there's a meet up I will definitely hang around. :) 

Also want to see the historic sights (remnants of Wall, etc).

Hi i forgot to come here after i got the ticket.

I arrive late in thursday, i think i’ll spend friday with my wife (she is coming after all, but not to the concert) and cousin sightseeing the city for maybe the fourth time :p.

it will suit me either meeting with you guys on saturday before the concert or after the concert. I have to return to potsdam so i cannot drag too late in the evening. 

i love currywurst so that suits me hehe. 

To our nice fellows living in Berlin... what's the situation regarding restaurants? Is outdoor dining still widely available (weather permitting, of course)? I've been very careful to say the least, avoiding crowded places for the last months, and I confess I'm still a bit reluctant about gathering for indoor dining. :blush:

I'd be glad to meet some of you though while staying there. Needless to say, I really can't wait attending those concerts! :cheer:

38 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What's so diffucult about using this thread?

Really? So first of all it's a website, you don't get the notification when someone writes. Also, the website is hard to use on a cell phone. But that's why I ask. If someone doesn't want to, then I guess it has to be through the messenger on the website here. Or is there some kind of WhatsApp where you don't see other people's numbers?

Perhaps we should book some tables at a restaurant for the Saturday evening? If there are a lot of us (12, according to the poll), then we might have difficulties finding that many seats in the city centre, especially during a weekend.

Yes, a table should definitely be booked. I would have taken charge of organizing this if it hadn't been for the fact that I'm too busy these days. But as I mentioned earlier, I'm ready to meet on any of the nights. I have a loose beer date with two people I know who live in Berlin, but I'll work out the schedule to fit.

14 hours ago, Henry Sítrónu said:

I would suggest this. You can sit outside, it’s less than a 5 minutes walk from BPhil and it’s (apparently) typical German. 😅

Lindenbräu am Potsdamer Platz
https://goo.gl/maps/uCYR1GYLQsNrSuG1A

I've been there a couple of times during the Berlinale. A proper "tourist trap" in terms of prices and mood, as are all places within the Sony centre. But as I said earlier, the immediate surroundings of the Philharmonie are a wasteland in terms of proper restaurants and pubs (much like Royal Albert Hall in London), so it might have to do. 

14 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

If weather isn't nice there is the Brauhaus at the Alex, Karl-Liebknecht-Straße. Or Paulaner at the Spree-Bögen, Alt-Moabit.

True, but these are too far away from the Philharmonie in terms of pre/post-concert drinks.

I was hoping a local could help us with tips regarding pre- or post-concert drinks/food places that are off the beaten tourist path. Ideally, one would need to do a bit of travelling with public transportation to get to these places, but I'm guessing that's not realistic given the number of people involved (we're all staying at different locations within the city), and the fact that the concert no doubt ends fairly late (22-22.30-ish?).

At this point, it looks like we'll just have to "stunt" get-togethers based on who randomly meets who in the foyer, who hooks up with who here or on social media etc.

If I'd had the time, I'd do the organizing, but I don't and it's too late now. But as I said, I'm staying at the Hotel Motel One in Mitte/Kreuzberg, and can meet wherever between Wednesday and Sunday. Currently trying to research things to do that I haven't done before, restaurants etc.

I'm happy to book a table for the Lindenbräu at Potsdamer Platz for 10:30 pm. Just give this post a like if you want to join.

For a post-concert drink it's the best opportunity, I guess. Instead of getting public transport…