14th/15th/16th Oct. Meetup in Berlin

Henry Sítrónu

14th/15th/16th Oct. Meetup in Berlin  

22 members have voted

1. 1. When would be the best time for a meetup?

• Thursday before the concert
    • Thursday after the concert
    • Friday before the concert
    • Friday after the concert
    • Saturday before the concert
    • Saturday after the concert

23 minutes ago, Henry Sítrónu said:

I'm happy to book a table for the Lindenbräu at Potsdamer Platz for 10:30 pm. Just give this post a like if you want to join.

For a post-concert drink it's the best opportunity, I guess. Instead of getting public transport…

As much as I hate to admit it, you might be right in terms of convenience for post-concert drinks (convenience trumps a good place in this case, I guess). But if there's going to be a PRE-concert get-together (with alloted time to travelling to the venue), or a get-together on one of your "off" days -- i.e. a non-concert day --, I suggest somewhere else in town completely. I want to be anywhere but Potzdamer Platz when I'm in Berlin.

By the way, I've been several times to Café Lebensart (Soundtrack Cologne has hosted their meet-and-greets there for a couple of years during the Berlinale), which is also close by, but I don't think they can accomodate a group this size, whatever the size might be.

Are we talking Saturday in terms of booking a table at the Lindenbräu?

Wouldnt it better a pre concert meeting? I definately cannot attend after it, as it would be too late for me to return to postdam.

but im going with my cousin, so i dont know if he will be comfortable meeting with so many strangers. So i wont vote and try to go wherever you arrange the meeting.

41 minutes ago, Thor said:

At this point, it looks like we'll just have to "stunt" get-togethers based on who randomly meets who in the foyer, who hooks up with who here or on social media etc.

Everyone make sure, that you look like your avatar!

12 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Wouldnt it better a pre concert meeting? I definately cannot attend after it, as it would be too late for me to return to postdam.

That would have the big advantage that those who are joining on Saturday but are not going to the concert on Saturday (like me) could at least have a drink together.

20 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Wouldnt it better a pre concert meeting? 

I'm up for anything but majority voted of saturday after the concert

20 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I definately cannot attend after it, as it would be too late for me to return to postdam.

trains are going during the night, too (on weekends) – if that's your concern. :)

When I was at Berlin, I tried out the Oh, Panama restaurant at Potsdamer Str. 91, because it had some good reviews all across the internet, and it was close to the Philharmonie (a 15-minute walk).

The food there is truly good, and their philosophy focuses on groups and shared eating experiences. It's a bit pricier than average, but it's tucked away in an obscure alley, so there are no tourists, and I promised the waiters to return there, as they were amazing (one of the guys recognized Morricone on my t-shirt, and we had a chat about him and John Williams)

Check out their menu and website here.

34 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I reckon you blended right in!

It took the staff about 7 seconds to realize that I was not German, and that they should stop speaking German to me, despite me clearly adressing them in English. It's definitely a personal record for me.

16 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Too expensive for my taste if you basically just want to have a beer in a bar.

Yeah, I wouldn't go there every day, but it was a special occasion, and a year of quarantine and holidays without the ability to travel allowed me to save up some money for gastronomy. Besides, it was cheaper than even mediocre restaurants here in Oslo.

Is this a coincidence? The members of the German John Williams Facebook group also meet at Lindenbräu! I organized that a few days ago and only read here today that you will meet there too! We meet there on all three days before and after the concerts.

As I said earlier, I desperately want to escape Potzdamer Platz and immediate surroundings when I'm in Berlin. Tourist trap with astronomical prices, bad service and bad food. So if we're doing a pre-concert dinner, I'm looking at other neighbourhoods instead (Kreuzberg or Prenzlauer Berg, for example -- a gastronomy buff friend of mine has recommended a long list of great budget restaurants in these areas). And we'll just have to plan sufficient time to get to the Philharmonie (should be about 30 minutes with public transportation, depending). But for a post-concert drink, I'm game for anywhere. Doesn't matter. Even in the worst tourist spots in Berlin, the beer is still much cheaper than in the most ragged pub in Norway.

I’ll be traveling with my ol’ mum and will be taking her to the concert! I’m sure she’s game to meet up but I don’t think it’ll be for dinner. It’ll be for a post drink, probably.

Among other things, I spotted this restaurant close to the area where I'll be staying and I thought it could be worth sharing... it's not German food obviously, but the place looks appealing if one's into Indian cuisine: https://g.page/delhi6-berlin?share.

On 11/10/2021 at 2:35 PM, Thor said:

As I said earlier, I desperately want to escape Potzdamer Platz and immediate surroundings when I'm in Berlin. Tourist trap with astronomical prices, bad service and bad food. So if we're doing a pre-concert dinner, I'm looking at other neighbourhoods instead (Kreuzberg or Prenzlauer Berg, for example -- a gastronomy buff friend of mine has recommended a long list of great budget restaurants in these areas). And we'll just have to plan sufficient time to get to the Philharmonie (should be about 30 minutes with public transportation, depending). But for a post-concert drink, I'm game for anywhere. Doesn't matter. Even in the worst tourist spots in Berlin, the beer is still much cheaper than in the most ragged pub in Norway.

We could do both meetups, pre-concert and post-concert.

I would be also in for a Saturday pre-concert get together. But a friend of mine is celebrating her birthday in the early afternoon. So, it is hard to say, when exactly I will be available. But when others meet, I would like to join as soon as possible.

Time is running out for a pre-concert meeting today. I'll take the bus to the Philharmonie in about 90 minutes. I'll hopefully see you fellow Thursday concert folks in the foyer. We can discuss a post-concert drink then.

No. Unless Henry Sitronu booked a table at Lindenbrau or something (but I don't think that was for this evening's event). We'll have to stunt it.

Of course, I just realized that we don't necessarily know how we all look like -- especially not behind face masks. This is me right now; please give me a holler if you see me in the foyer! :)

(yes, I know it's the wrong mask, I've bought a proper FFP2 one.)

WIN_20211014_18_01_57_Pro.jpg

I am sorry that I could not be able to meet you also in the few days that I stayed in Berlin for the concert. Unfortunately I had a rather complicated situation that did not allow me to have much flexibility. In fact, right after the concert last night, in the middle of the night, I took the flight home.

But I was very pleased to be able to meet and talk to discuss Thursday's performance (but we didn't just talk about music)... in post-concert occasion or in the night with some friend here that was in my hotel too. Truly a pleasure for me to meet him!!

I hope you have fun tonight and tomorrow too! and for sure this will be not the last occasion, I will try to attend other JW concerts.

Have fun and have good concerts in these last few days!

P.S.: from what I know probabably tomorrow there will be better weather in Berlin. The 14th morning was a pain in the...because of that drizzle. I also had a very small number of changes in clothes or shoes due to my short stay. Then there was also the problem of traffic lights for pedestrians, you could safely "fall asleep" in front of it waiting for the green. In addition they were not very synchronized, if you had to make an "L" you waited whole minutes for the first ten meters and still others to make the corner and so on. Eventually I started crossing everywhere:lol2:

I think there might definitely be pre- and post-concert gatherings on Saturday.

Today I'm thinking of going to Lindenbräu after the concert. Would anybody be willing to join?

3 hours ago, Hugo said:

I am sorry that I could not be able to meet you also in the few days that I stayed in Berlin for the concert. Unfortunately I had a rather complicated situation that did not allow me to have much flexibility. In fact, right after the concert last night, in the middle of the night, I took the flight home.

But I was very pleased to be able to meet and talk to discuss Thursday's performance (but we didn't just talk about music)... in post-concert occasion or in the night with some friend here that was in my hotel too. Truly a pleasure for me to meet him!!

I hope you have fun tonight and tomorrow too! and for sure this will be not the last occasion, I will try to attend other JW concerts.

Have fun and have good concerts in these last few days!

P.S.: from what I know probabably tomorrow there will be better wheater in Berlin. The 14th morning was a pain in the...because of that drizzle. I also had a very small number of changes in clothes or shoes due to my short stay. Then there was also the problem of traffic lights for pedestrians, you could safely "fall asleep" in front of it waiting for the green. In addition they were not very synchronized, if you had to make an "L" you waited whole minutes for the first ten meters and still others to make the corner and so on. Eventually I started crossing everywhere:lol2:

it was a pleasure and honour to have so many great conversations in the Grimm’s hotel bar, brother!

I should probably be up (along with some friends) for post concerts drinks tomorrow if we can sort it out.

1 hour ago, GlastoEls said:

it was a pleasure and honour to have so many great conversations in the Grimm’s hotel bar, brother!

I probably ran past you in the foyer at one point or another…

4 minutes ago, Biodome said:

I'll be at the ground floor of Lindenbräu in the coming hour. @Thorshould be coming as well. If anyone wants to join us, you're very welcome!20211015_224053.jpg

Do they still serve food at this hour?

Francophones, assemblez-vous. Qui pourra-t-on croiser au concert de ce soir?

Of course, we'll be glad to meet non-french speakers, it's just that the communication will be less easy for us... (understand OK, speak :-/ )

51 minutes ago, oxo1977 said:

Francophones, assemblez-vous. Qui pourra-t-on croiser au concert de ce soir?

Of course, we'll be glad to meet non-french speakers, it's just that the communication will be less easy for us... (understand OK, speak :-/ )

if I’d had less beers last night, I would have been able to communicate in French. Alas, as obiwan71 can attest to, I wasn’t.