What is your dream program for the Berlin concert?

I think we did a thread on dream JW concert programs once. Someone else find it. As I posted there, my program is centered on obscure/old/non-orchestral stuff.

All the secondary themes.

Suites from The Post, A. I., Angela's Ashes and as much Star Wars as possible. A section of dynamic action cues would be great.

And as I understood, we are going to hear the Elegy for Cello and Orchestra, which is very welcome.

I must confess, I am not so interested in any of the celebration fanfares. Then better the Essay for Strings.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

As I posted there, my program is centered on obscure/old/non-orchestral stuff.

That would be your dream program when he is conducting the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra???

Why, oh why, has he not worked up a concert piece of Dear Basketball?  

If he were to do so, my guess it would be part of a Hollywood Bowl program first.  

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

My dream?

JOHN WILLIAMS IN CONCERT 14-16 OCTOBER, 2021 WITH BERLIN PHILHARMONIKER

CANCELLED.

ALL DATES MOVED TO THE ROYAL ALBERT HALL WITH LSO.

UPDATED

FULL CONCERT CONDUCTED BY DIRK BROSSÉ

Rich colorful orchestral scores, please. BFG, SW, HP even.  No americana or any jazzy scores. The Book Thief suite world premiere would be nice. Perhaps not many marches. Definitely not any obscure old stuff, this is one of the best orchestras in the world. Oh yes, one horn solo, please, for Stefan Dohr.

I love reading everyone's suggestions, but I'm not sure how realistic all of these pieces are... one I hope to hear and one that is technically possible (as in, it exists as a JW concert piece and doesn't feature chorus and so on) is the Cowboys Overture. What a rousing start of the concert that would be!

My dream program is whatever JW is eager to perform with such an orchestra. Given the history and the sound of the Berliner, I totally expect something along the lines of the Vienna concerts, i.e. a mix of great classics and more recent stuff where both the ensemble and their individual talents get a spotlight. Hoping for outlandish stuff like Fitzwilly or How to Steal a Million is quite unrealistic. Given that there is a solo cellist already announced performing the Elegy, my guess is that he will also perform two or three selections from the Geisha suite for cello.

I think John Williams will conduct exactly the same things he conducted in the last concerts, except 1 or 2 works.

Charles Aznavour was the same in his last years... singing always the same songs (not with the same arrangements though, nor the same order), the "HITS", introducing lesser and lesser new material from his latests albums.  The live shows became very repetitive, but in the other hand, many people went to see him for their first time, to see the "living legend", so they EXPECTED all the hits...

That's life, so lower a bit your expectations group! ;)

There is certainly a "popstar" element in JW's current concert performances, where a great deal of the audience is there to listen to the classic tunes, not a series of "deep cuts". However, I truly believe that, besides his own personal preferences and the awareness he has in terms of what the audience wants, Williams truly tailors the concert program around the strength and the personality of the orchestra he's about to conduct, especially when it's not LA or Boston.

19 hours ago, TownerFan said:

Hoping for outlandish stuff like Fitzwilly or How to Steal a Million is quite unrealistic. 

Of course. Hence a "dream".

On 8/14/2021 at 9:19 PM, Sibelius6 said:

Oh, where was that?

I believe it was first performed at an Oscars concert, Williams conducting. Deneve conducted it with the São Paulo Symphony in 2017 or 18.

8 hours ago, aj_vader said:

My dream 'never going to happen' program. 

I'd say that is for the most part a pretty "classic" program, aj. Evergreens and concert favourites. So not that unlikely.

They updated the program description from

"Film music from Indiana Jones, E. T., Superman, Harry Potter, Star Wars and other movies " to

"Film music from Indiana Jones, Close Encounters oh the Third Kind, Superman, Harry Potter, Jurassic Parc and Star Wars" ...

33 minutes ago, MaxTheHouseelf said:

Film music from Close Encounters oh the Third Kind, Jurassic Parc

John Williams composed the music from two new movies!!! :lol:

Funny that's typo is just in English the german one is okay:

"Filmmusik aus Indiana Jones, Unheimliche Begegnung der dritten Art, Superman, Harry Potter, Jurassic Park und Star Wars"

I wonder why in these greatest hits concerts Close Encounters is there always mentioned so prominently. It neither won an academy award nor is the music overly accessible compare to the others mentioned. 

On 8/27/2021 at 3:05 PM, MaxTheHouseelf said:

E. T.

Does this mean that there won't be any Adventures on Earth? It'd be kinda sad. I always loved that piece, and to hear the Berlin Phil play it would've been quite emotional.

On 8/27/2021 at 7:29 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

My dream program is one that doesn't get cancelled.

At this point, yes. I don't mind that it gets cancelled in and of itself, necessarily, but the non-refundable flights will dig deep into my already empty pockets. Haven't booked hotel yet.

6 hours ago, Biodome said:

Does this mean that there won't be any Adventures on Earth? It'd be kinda sad. I always loved that piece, and to hear the Berlin Phil play it would've been quite emotional.

I totally agree. But maybe the program will change again slightly until October, we'll see ...

On 8/27/2021 at 8:37 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

I guess the concert will first be postponed.

On 8/27/2021 at 7:54 PM, GerateWohl said:

Right. Incidence in Berlin is already again around 100. We still have a vaccination rate of about 60% with not much progress to expect. Doesn't look too good. :(

The consensus among politicians seems to be to not go into another lockdown again and also not relying so much on the incidince alone. Maybe they'll allow only vaccinated and recovered people (2G rule, instead of 3G) before postponing / canceling. I'm personally slightly optimistic that the concerts will take place, unless the infections go totally nuts in October.

7 hours ago, Biodome said:

It could be one of the encores? that could be why it's been removed from the description?