What is your dream program for the Berlin concert?

Overture to the Oscars

Superman Main Title

Geisha Suite

Elegy for Cello and Orchestra

Hedwig Theme

Nimbus 2000

Harry's Woderous World

-

Jurassic Park Themes

Scherzo for Motor Cycle

Schindler's List Main Theme

The Rise of Skywalker

Imperial March

Han and Leia

Star Wars Main Theme

Munich A Prayer for Peace

Encore

Indiana Jones March

Yoda's Theme

E.T. Flying

My dream program would begin with Summon the Heroes and end with Throne Room. Somewhere in between I'd need Becoming a Geisha and The Tale of Viktor Navorski. Probably some Jane Eyre too. Oh, and Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra (since Williams just played it in Tanglewood he might again, if only to make his joke about playing it "without the motorcycle" :D).

Edit: and Rey's Theme!

Still hoping for BFG, to match Dartmoor [1913] 1912 in the Vienna concert.

What would make the best "Volume 2" set list given the Vienna release?

So, we will have the 3 pieces for sure.(picture) Was to be expected. I am surprised that the Elegy is performed again. I am also angry that Anne-Sophie Mutter is not there. Germany is just her home country. Furthermore, I would be happy to see some sad string pieces, e.g. The Immolation Scene or Anakin's Dark Deeds. So far, the Adagio from Star Wars 7 has not been performed enough, only in the concert in Walt Disney Hall, and honestly, it was not an exhilarating interpretation, compared to the inspiration on the album. In general, I would be happy to hear more unfamiliar pieces. I agree with the thesis that nowadays almost only the hits are performed, which is of course sad considering the vast repertoire. Well then, I'm still very happy to have gotten tickets at all, and even more so that he comes across the Atlantic again is a miracle.

Screenshot_2021-08-10-19-11-16-783_com.twitter.android.jpg

27 minutes ago, eitam said:

I hope Yoda's Theme won't be played. Never really got into that one. 

Then just listen to the version with Anne-Sophie Mutter and your opinion will change immediately.

2 hours ago, Michael G. said:

In general, I would be happy to hear more unfamiliar pieces. I agree with the thesis that nowadays almost only the hits are performed, which is of course sad considering the vast repertoire. 

That was a good part of the appeal of Anne-Sophie Mutter's presence in Vienna: it meant that lesser-known pieces were played (Sabrina, Cinderella Liberty, Donnybrook Fair), and a few of the better-known had a fresh spin put on them (Hedwig's Theme, Devil's Dance).

Though I'm selfishly content she won't play in Berlin, otherwise the concert would feel too much like Vienna bis.

2 hours ago, Michael G. said:

Then just listen to the version with Anne-Sophie Mutter and your opinion will change immediately.

I did, and it didn't, sadly.

Well, at the concert in Vienna I didn't like the Star Wars main theme. I don't know if it was really like that, but I have the feeling that once the brass section is out of sync at the beginning and the timpani doesn't play cleanly at the end. It's also way too slow for my liking. But I think John Williams plays it slower and slower over the years, so my observation. The Berliner Philharmoniker have played the main theme before and that sounds good. https://youtu.be/-3qqHdiewSE Although the brass section doesn’t sound entirely in sync here either. But the Berliner Philharmoniker have a good sound and no matter what they play, under the conducting of John Williams it will be great!

11 minutes ago, eitam said:

I did, and it didn't, sadly.

But why?? It's the B theme, right? Is it too childish? Maybe it's a little bit, but still great ...

For me the A-Theme is the epitome of the lydian mode and expresses such peace and quiet, wonderful.

On 9/4/2021 at 10:26 PM, eitam said:

I hope Yoda's Theme won't be played. Never really got into that one. 

Yoda's theme is the only character-theme that brings balance to the Force, while the antagonistic Rey's and Ren's themes only bring balance in synergy.

Am I correct that the actual Force Theme was not played in Vienna? Or is that theme hidden somewhere in Main Title?

3 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

The only concert arrangement containing the Force Theme that I am aware of is Throne Room and Finale. Or is there any other?

Jedi Steps and Finale from the Force awakens has a very prominent force theme included, with a horn solo. 

1 hour ago, Steve said:

Jedi Steps and Finale from the Force awakens has a very prominent force theme included, with a horn solo. 

Right. But the Force Awakens suite, at least the one from the Boston Pops recording avoids exactly just that part by spliting it into "The Jedi Steps" as an own single piece and "Finale" as another starting with the Star Wars theme. But I know, in other suites it is included.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Anakin vs. Obi-Wan has a brief statement towards the end.

Right. I successfully managed to forget about that. I don't like it in there. 

Why didn't he write a horn concerto for her? It would be his second for the horn. Do you think it has something to do with Willis, that Williams coming to Berlin? (because she is a permanent member of the Berlin Philharmonic)

I can still remember when she once had the Leia hairstyle at a film music concert.:D

1 hour ago, Michael G. said:

Why didn't he write a horn concerto for her? It would be his second for the horn. Do you think it has something to do with Willis, that Williams coming to Berlin? (because she is a permanent member of the Berlin Philharmonic)

I can still remember when she once had the Leia hairstyle at a film music concert.:D

Yes, may well have!

4 hours ago, BB-8 said:

Yoda's theme is the only character-theme that brings balance to the Force, while the antagonistic Rey's and Ren's themes only bring balance in synergy.

I can't pretend to understand that :lol:

On 9/5/2021 at 1:25 AM, Michael G. said:

But why?? It's the B theme, right? Is it too childish? Maybe it's a little bit, but still great ...

For me the A-Theme is the epitome of the lydian mode and expresses such peace and quiet, wonderful.

I prefer the B theme actually it's lighter and jollier. The A theme is just too solemn and boring (to my ears). 

57 minutes ago, eitam said:

I prefer the B theme actually it's lighter and jollier. The A theme is just too solemn and boring (to my ears). 

After all, that's exactly the purpose of the piece. The most peaceful theme there is. 

2 hours ago, BB-8 said:

Yes, may well have!

Yes, that's what I was alluding to:lol:

5 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Right. But the Force Awakens suite, at least the one from the Boston Pops recording avoids exactly just that part by spliting it into "The Jedi Steps" as an own single piece and "Finale" as another starting with the Star Wars theme. But I know, in other suites it is included.

There is no cut on the "Spotlight" recording and here neither:

Fantastic performance by the Cincinnati Pops, and a quite attractive 1st horn ;)

On 9/6/2021 at 2:58 PM, GerateWohl said:

The only concert arrangement containing the Force Theme that I am aware of is Throne Room and Finale. Or is there any other?

Force Theme also appears in: 

The Battle from ANH 

and 

Scherzo for X-wings from TFA 

On 9/6/2021 at 9:33 PM, Steve said:

There is no cut on the "Spotlight" recording and here neither:

Fantastic performance by the Cincinnati Pops, and a quite attractive 1st horn ;)

I find the horn a bit too unemotional and clumsy. 

And... What is that from 10:34??? I have never heard that anywhere else, was that a special arrangement by the orchestra/conductor? Sounds passable

12 hours ago, Michael G. said:

And... What is that from 10:34??? I have never heard that anywhere else, was that a special arrangement by the orchestra/conductor? Sounds passable

In 'The Force Awakens Suite for Orchestra' [John Williams Signature Edition] there are two options at the end of the 'Jedi Steps and Finale'

Concert Ending

Screenshot 2021-09-07 at 10.54.26.png

Film Ending

Screenshot 2021-09-07 at 10.54.40.png

That recording above they opted for the concert version. 

On 9/7/2021 at 11:57 AM, aj_vader said:

Concert Ending

Screenshot 2021-09-07 at 10.54.26.png

Film Ending

Screenshot 2021-09-07 at 10.54.40.png

That recording above they opted for the concert version. 

Thanks very much.  I really like the way the orchestra swells up at this point and then it's actually just the classic end of the Finale, a bit different.  Why did Williams do that, did he find a quiet ending too unsuitable for a concert, or why?

On 9/6/2021 at 8:38 PM, Michael G. said:

Yes, that's what I was alluding to:lol:

Check this out from 22:00 onwards...

KlickKlack am 20. Juli 2021: Mit Martin Grubinger aus der Berliner Waldbühne | klickklack | BR-KLASSIK | Bayerischer Rundfunk

:love2: ;)

Hope we don't end up with these arrangements in October....

Oh yeah. I saw that on German television (I'm German). Well, they're just arrangements. And among us, percussionists are always weird,:lol: but John Williams saw the concert and the episode of Klick Klack and Grubinger discussed it with him, at least that's how it happened with his agreement.

1 hour ago, Michael G. said:

Oh yeah. I saw that on German television (I'm German). Well, they're just arrangements. And among us, percussionists are always weird,:lol: but John Williams saw the concert and the episode of Klick Klack and Grubinger discussed it with him, at least that's how it happened with his agreement.

But that Princess Leia horn solo was excellent, and it was not done by Sarah Willis MBE, which made me think.

Tbh I'm fine with the usual choices however what I REALLY want added:

Reunion of Friends - Harry Potter and the CoS

Rescuing Sarah (film version)- Jurassic Park Lost World 

Toy Planes - Empire of the Sun 

Not going to happen but one can dream.

😊