FILM: A.I. Artificial Intelligence (dir. Steven Spielberg)

Always rooting for truly visceral cinematic experiences, and it looks like you had one with this film. My own experience, however, was not the same as you and many others seem to share on here. But I am long overdue for a rewatch, so maybe that might change.

I will agree that Williams’ score is indeed one of his career highs.

Anyone with more than a passing interest in A.I., should read what Mark Kermode has to say about the film.

In 2001, he watched it, and hated it. A few years later, he had an apostrophe, and wrote about this in his book HATCHET JOB. He even went so far as to apologise to Spielberg himself - in person, no less! - for writing all those bad things, back in the day.

It's worth a read.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Resurrecting @The Illustrious Jerry's review because I was hoping for some discussion on (surprise) the ending.

Been diving into the score, and I've seen the film probably 3 times.  Like many, I didn't enjoy the film at first, but have come to understand it better and find it incredibly compelling over time.

Anyone care to comment on why the Super Mechas consider David their own "Blue Fairy"?  I understand that he is like a missing link in their evolution.  I understand that he is the closest thing they have to a surviving member of the human species.  What I don't understand is how or why they didn't keep some kind of archive or history of their "race" such that they would even need David.  I'm not trying to nitpick, but truly curious how none of the other Mechas like Joe and his like didn't survive or keep some kind of memory backup or something. I get that Joe was likely executed, but you have to imagine if the Mecha Race was savvy and fit enough to outlast humans and evolve into Supermechas, then enough of them survived robot genocide or extinction.  I think it's profoundly beautiful that they want to treat David with care and grant his wish, but don't really get what he offers them other than the novelty of interacting with an old model of themselves.  They can clone Monica, but they can't retro engineer another early super toy like David or Joe for themselves.  Seems incongruous.

On 14/08/2021 at 12:15 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Anyone with more than a passing interest in A.I., should read what Mark Kermode has to say about the film.

In 2001, he watched it, and hated it. A few years later, he had an apostrophe, ....

" apostrophe"!?

😳😅

• 11 months later...

I never understood the hate that accompanied A.I. For me it was a masterpiece from day one. While Minority Report (the following year) was good and instantly respected...A.I. along with Schindler's List were the two best films, in a long list of great films,  of his career.