Laura Karpman - Marvel's What If...?

Edmilson

image.png

Hollywood Records and Marvel Music will release the first soundtrack album for Marvel Studios’ Disney+ original series What If…? The album features the original music from the show’s first episode (What If…Captain Carter Were The First Avenger?) composed by Emmy Award winner Laura Karpman (Lovecraft Country, Set It Up, Paris Can Wait, Why We Hate, Step, Underground). The soundtrack will be available to stream/download on all major digital music platforms tomorrow, August 13. Check back on this page for the purchase link. What If…? is developed by A.C. Bradley, directed by Bryan Andrews and reimagines famous events from Marvel’s feature films in unexpected ways, focussing on different heroes from the MCU. The first episode, which explores what would happen if the events of Captain America: The First Avenger occurred differently, premiered yesterday and new episodes will debut every Wednesday on Disney+.

Here’s the track list of the album:

1. Main Title (1:07)
2. My Favorite Story…?? (1:39)
3. A Lighter (1:25)
4. A New Hero (0:56)
5. Glorified Battery (1:35)
6. Attack of the Peggy (2:02)
7. What to Do (0:45)
8. You Owe Me a Dance (1:39)
9. Rescue (1:04)
10. Demands to a God (1:22)
11. You Are My Hero (0:47)
12. Tragic Fall (2:29)
13. Captain’s Speech (0:39)
14. Assault to the Castle (2:06)
15. Growing Tentacles (1:08)
16. All Day (1:44)
17. She’s Gone (0:37)
18. We Won the War (0:38)

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2021/08/12/first-soundtrack-album-for-marvels-disney-series-what-if-to-be-released/

Her score for Lovecraft Country was pretty interesting, so I'm curious to listen to her music for What If, specially if it has references to previous MCU scores. 

I have very limited interest in superhero stuff, but Karpman is good. She's been on my radar since she did the Spielberg-produced series TAKEN in the early 2000s. A few years ago, I also hosted a panel in Cannes that she was in, so we got a bit acquainted then.

Was not as enamoured with LOVECRAFT COUNTRY as many others were, but liked some other things in her career. Good to see that she's finally getting some high profile gigs again.

Great news! Really think that the weekly album release is the best thing for those shows.

I didn't like that first episode but the music was really nice from what I recall so I'll be definitly checking this one

We watched the first episode last night.  Felt very rushed - like they wanted to cram a lot of ideas and characters in, but they are hamstrung to the half hour even on a streaming service.  It was fine.  Music sounded good although I wasn’t listening super intently.

41 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Felt very rushed - like they wanted to cram a lot of ideas and characters in, but they are hamstrung to the half hour

Exactly what I thought.

I'll add that I felt that the animation was quite rushed too. It's quite disappointing when you see what LucasFilms can do with Clone Wars. I thought it was a bit in the vein of Resistance with better color though

By the way here's the playlist of the first episode:

I thought it was great. The music sounds like it's for a 40's set episode. Curious what the others will sound like. For a composer this would be cool because you can add a different style to each episode.

I think the theme for Captain Carter was good and easily recognisable. The statements of Captain America's theme also great. And they were on the album!

I hope Karpman uses more themes from the MCU. I hope Avengers, Doctor Strange, Spider-Man and Guardians themes make appearances

On 8/13/2021 at 4:25 AM, mstrox said:

We watched the first episode last night.  Felt very rushed - like they wanted to cram a lot of ideas and characters in, but they are hamstrung to the half hour even on a streaming service.  It was fine.  Music sounded good although I wasn’t listening super intently.

It definitely felt rushed, which I guess isn't a surprise when it is trying to cover many of the same plot points that a two hour movie did.  I enjoyed the action sequences.  Nice to see what a super powered super soldier can do when you don't have to worry about practical and budgetary restrictions shooting it live action.  Many of those sequences would have been at home in a comic book.  It is always great seeing Peggy Carter again, and I hope they do a follow up with her as an Avenger.

The music was good, but I have the same problem I did with WandaVision.  I like the music, but I don't love it enough to want to buy a bunch of $10 15-20 minute albums.  Based on the composer's work here, I am curious to check out her work for Lovecraft Country.

And is it me or is there a section from the Kingsman theme wholesale lifted and applied here.

And why did Captain Carter not get the Captain America theme applied to her? Such a good theme. It appears I think once in the episode.

4 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

And is it me or is there a section from the Kingsman theme wholesale lifted and applied here.

And why did Captain Carter not get the Captain America theme applied to her? Such a good theme. It appears I think once in the episode.

Because she isn't Captain America?

11 hours ago, Datameister said:

Oh my god...I'm watching the first episode now, and I'm stunned - am I really the first on the site to point out the incredibly unsubtle CE3K temp love seven minutes in?

Anyone know a track number?

Was watching a DC Superhero Girls movie with my kid last week and there was a quote of March of the Villains when they introduced Luthor.  Thought it was pretty neat.  Score not available to buy or share though.

She’s only referred to as Captain Carter, and her shield has the British flag, so I understand her not getting Silvestri’s Cap theme (which I did still hear in the episode).

On 8/13/2021 at 7:08 AM, May the Force be with You said:

Exactly what I thought.

I'll add that I felt that the animation was quite rushed too. It's quite disappointing when you see what LucasFilms can do with Clone Wars. I thought it was a bit in the vein of Resistance with better color though

Cool little piece.  I could do without the choir though.  

On 8/13/2021 at 7:08 AM, May the Force be with You said:

Exactly what I thought.

The animation in the clone wars was crap

Which was crap. Animation done on the cheap with a style that is crap..

The character animation in the 3D SW shows has always felt a bit cheap, although it has improved a lot.  The ships/armored troopers/droids have always looked fine.  After watching a while, it just feels like a stylistic choice, so who cares!

I’ve got a 5-year-old, so I know a bit about Crappy TV animation, and Clone Wars was never ever the dregs.

I suppose its no worse than those japanese anime films .

And yes its a style choice but an ugly one.

I've never been a huge fan of the design of CW characters but at least there is some life coming out of them espacially in the last seasons. Their movements are fluid, there's good lip sync so basically a good animation

The new episode of What If...? was really good. New story and a lot of new versions of characters.

Spoiler

Thanos, Nebula & The Collector are my favorites

And many surprises.
Hearing Chadwick Boseman was great amd they honored the episode to him which was beautiful.

Karpman made some nods to the music of Black Panther, but I believe only the talking drums, and the guardians of the galaxy theme. I like what she's doing with the score.

Haven't seen the second episode yet but I'll say that the first episode's animation was a mixed bag for me. I like the overall style, but the lip sync looked weird and there was a surprising mishmash of characters who looked exactly like their live action selves and characters who bore no strong resemblance.

The style is awesome but the faces are ruining everything. I would have been happy with TLA-style faces even, but whatever they're doing here is not working. 

Well it depends because from what I recall the volume two of Loki was released the 22nd while the last episode aired the 14th. So I think that we might have volume two next week  and that the release from the previous week was an exception

I’m sure they’re coming soon.

Last week’s release (2 days after air) was definitely the exception to the rule for Disney+ releases, which typically come a week after the last episode they cover.

Agreed.  You’d think they’d sell more copies if the releases were tied into the zeitgeist of the episodes (how many people go looking and don’t find something, and then don’t go back later?).  Disney recognized this at least with the Wandavision episode with the Agatha reveal and dropped that one early, but the week delay itself is kind of puzzling.

17 hours ago, Jules said:

The style is awesome but the faces are ruining everything. I would have been happy with TLA-style faces even, but whatever they're doing here is not working. 

Glad it’s not just  me that felt that. I really enjoyed the first episode and the overall animation quality and style seemed superb. Beautiful backdrops and fluid action animation but the facial animation was quite mixed and the lip synch was a bit off somehow. Not enough to spoil it but a touch distracting. The music was great though but agree that a couple of albums worth for the series would be a nicer way to enjoy it rather than episode at a time. 

The volume 2 of the album will be released tomorrow (which means it might already be available in NZ/AU):

image.png

1. Explorer (1:39)
2. Use the Gun (1:32)
3. The Plan (0:39)
4. Alien Lounging (1:29)
5. Necklace (0:53)
6. Maniac (0:59)
7. The Soul (0:43)
8. Strategy (1:24)
9. Lockdown (1:15)
10. Just Like Me (1:57)
11. I Abhor Drama (1:25)
12. Prisoners Escape (1:35)
13. Not Crazy…Mad (2:02)
14. Eat This (0:57)
15. To the Skies (0:43)
16. Cocktails (0:41)
17. The Universe (1:31)
18. A Prince Goes Home (1:03)

Chronological order:

1. A Prince Goes Home

2. Use The Gun

3. The Plan

4. Explorer

5. Alien Lounging

6. Necklace

7. Maniac

8. The Soul

9. Strategy

10. Lockdown

11. Just Like Me

12. I Abhor Drama

13. Prisoners Escape

14. Not Crazy...Mad

15. Eat This

16. To The Skies

17. The Universe

18. Cocktails

I think this show is soooo good. And it's a shame not enough people are talking about because it's animted.

Story is very good, voice acting especially and Karpman's score is a lot of fun.

I'm making a list with all the previous MCU themes she is using. I'll share that when the season is done. Great work

Haven’t watched ep 3 yet, but the T’challa/Starlord one was great - leaps and bounds better than Captain Carter.  It established a world and told a story within it, where Carter just seemed to be cramming the story of First Avenger - But With a Twist! into 30 minutes.

I think all the interest of this show is to end up in one big crossover of multiversal wars perhaps even in a movie.

I'm so sad the Chadwick Boseman is gone, I would have loved to see his guardian team in a movie across the multiverse, Star Panther is best thing of the show so far!!!

11 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

Fourth album has been released:

It really sounds good with some nice quote of Giacchino's Strange theme.

Really enjoy the score of this show so far as well as the show (minus Episode 1)

Best of the albums. The added choir is terrific. The action is very strong.

But the emotional writing in this episode is some of the best in the MCU. The score actually made me tear up.

Still sad that not enough people talk about this series and all it's aspects. Especially the score. Lot of people complaining nowaday that there are not enough orchestral scores. This whole series has some of the best orchestral writing in the past few years

I also find that this score is extremely well down. It succeed to use every Marvel characters theme like no other composers in the MCU has done before while bringing a brand new look and colour to them.

The main title is absolutely gorgeous and the new themes are really efficient

Never heard of Laura Karpman before but I'll definitely been following her career from now on

2 hours ago, Anthony said:

I've ony watched the first episode so far, but several points sounded like they must have been temped with Henry Jackman's Kingsman scores.

That's only in the first.

Karpman has scores all the episodes in the same style. But somehow they all sound a little bit different. They are really they're own thing.

Amd said above. She has done the most with previous MCU themes