Laura Karpman - Marvel's What If...?

Edmilson

On 8/20/2021 at 6:24 PM, mstrox said:

Agreed.  You’d think they’d sell more copies if the releases were tied into the zeitgeist of the episodes (how many people go looking and don’t find something, and then don’t go back later?).  Disney recognized this at least with the Wandavision episode with the Agatha reveal and dropped that one early, but the week delay itself is kind of puzzling.

Provided the music is actually ready, why not release it on the same day the episode airs? I remain baffled by any ideas of artificially delaying the release of anything.

As you say, people like the music, go looking for it, and don't necessarily know it's dropping the next week or a few days later.

I missed the release of a Netflix film's score because I did exactly that - I searched for it just after I watched it and it wasn't there. I dicovered a few months later that it had in fact been released very shortly after I'd first looked.

Let's just hope that now with Disney+ releasing episodes on wednesday, they'll always release albums on the friday after. Like now with What If...?

That's a lot better than the week after

The album is available in Australia.

A really great use of Göransson terrific music

Here's the tracklist:

1. Convoy (0:54)

2. Saved (1:10)

3. Speech (1:12)

4. Bankrolled (1:03)

5. Return the Favor (0:53)

6. Building Montage (0:57)

7. Juice (0:57)

8. Salvage Yard Fight (1:12)

9. Eyes on This (1:27)

10. Uniform (1:27)

11. Justice (1:41)

12.  You Work For Me (1:37)

13. War is Here (1:08)

14. Drones (1:22)

15. Impossible (2:12)

16. Loyal Servant (0:51)

17. For Chadwick (1:03)

TOTAL TIME: 21:06

22 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

The album is available in Australia.

A really great use of Göransson terrific music

Here's the tracklist:

1. Convoy (0:54)

2. Saved (1:10)

3. Speech (1:12)

4. Bankrolled (1:03)

5. Return the Favor (0:53)

6. Building Montage (0:57)

7. Juice (0:57)

8. Salvage Yard Fight (1:12)

9. Eyes on This (1:27)

10. Uniform (1:27)

11. Justice (1:41)

12.  You Work For Me (1:37)

13. War is Here (1:08)

14. Drones (1:22)

15. Impossible (2:12)

16. Loyal Servant (0:51)

17. For Chadwick (1:03)

TOTAL TIME: 21:06

It's very well used. And the Avengers theme playing over Killmonger's theme is something I never knew I needed! Great score, again!

It's quite interesting how Karpman works with the thematic material from other composers. It's well done, quite brilliant sometimes even (the Killmonger motif was perfectly used, IMO). I wonder how if she able to get access to sounds & cues from other composers... Really neat work which she manages to make somewhat personal here and there.

1 minute ago, iamleyeti said:

It's quite interesting how Karpman works with the thematic material from other composers. It's well done, quite brilliant sometimes even (the Killmonger motif was perfectly used, IMO). I wonder how if she able to get access to sounds & cues from other composers... Really neat work which she manages to make somewhat personal here and there.

I read somewhere that she was given acces to all the cuesheets and recordings of past scores. She worked with that and by ear

That's wonderful.

Not that the themes are that hard, but she got the Black Panther's material really perfect.

We all know how bland the Marvel soundtracks can get sometimes, but so far she was quite lucky: Doctor Strange, Black Panther & Killmonger...

Karpman music (woth help of Goransson's excisting music) in this episode might be the best music for the series thus far.

But the album is a bit of a letdown. The final battle is not in there. There is a big chunck cut out. With 2 or 3 albums with all the music from the episodes this was a bit kmof a letdown. Still great!

9 hours ago, mstrox said:

Haven’t listened to the album yet.  Is the For Chadwick track some piece independent of the score?  Or is it from somewhere in the episode, maybe 

Hide contents

The T’challa/Rhodey funerals

It's from the scene before the end with Pepper & Shuri. Where Killmonger talks to T'Challa

Episode 7 is available in Australia

Tracklist from Episode 7:

01. They're Here (1:09)

02. Different Prince (1:00)

03. Solstice (1:26)

04. Company's Here (0:47)

05. Your Party (1:44)

06. Butt Ugly Popsicle Stick (0:38)

07. Make a Wish (1:01)

08. Party Pooper/Hammerang (0:56)

09. Party Foul (1:09)

10. Goose (1:11)

11. See You Again (0:44)

12. Kaboom (0:41)

13. Waddling Bacck (0:42)

14. Good to Go/Distracted (1:24)

15. Mellow/OH NO!!! (1:32)

16. Get It Together (1:31)

17. Popping the Party (1:09)

18. She's Coming! (0:47)

19. You Called (1:12)

20. Study Group (1:17)

Total Time: 20:44

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

Worried what will happen to Toprak's Captain Marvel theme if she ever shows up in Season 2, Karpman used the theme eveytime she showed up in Season 2, but after The Marvels... That theme quickly became one of the most used ones by other composers.

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder why they would release the score for episode 3 before the rest? I guess it's perhaps to avoid musical spoilers, as in hearing what character themes appear in each episode?

But I guess if they do this for ep 3 they will release the whole score for each episode as they did with S1. Really looking forward to it!

4 minutes ago, Knight of Ren said:

I wonder why they would release the score for episode 3 before the rest? I guess it's perhaps to avoid musical spoilers, as in hearing what character themes appear in each episode?

But I guess if they do this for ep 3 they will release the whole score for each episode as they did with S1. Really looking forward to it!

This is truly an EP, as mentioned on itunes.

Episode 3 was screened earlier this week and is very much X-mas themes, so I ghess that is why they released this.

I am really hoping for episodic releases, even though the episodes comeout 9 days after one another.

I'm hoping to add all of it to my themes breakdown I did for season 1.

Looking forward to hear what new themes she uses. Maybe Shang-Chi's, Beck's theme for Wanda? And what new themes they came up with.

• 2 weeks later...

Season 3 announced. If you tap on Day 9 there's a sneak peak to an episode featuring Bucky & Red Guardian.

https://www.marvel.com/9daysofwhatif

Also hoping for the score to release tomorrow after the final episode, because it's been really strong and I would like to proceed with my theme breakdown

Season 2 Finale was great!!

Maybe they should let the What If...? writers help on Secret Wars, because the finale had strong elements from that.

Music again was great! Cool usage of Giacchino's Dr. Strange theme and Karpman's own themes for Capt. Carter.

Eagerly waiting for the music to be released!

What If...? - Season 2 was soo much better than I thought it was going to be. I really loved season 1, but overall that felt a bit too safe for the concept.

In this season the creators totally went for it and it paid off. The animation was a lot better than previous season, the action scenes were next level and the music by Laura Karpman & Nora Kroll-Rosenbaum was spectacular!
I thought for this series the 9-day release actually really worked. It can feel a bit overbearing, but because this episodes were all 30 minutes I didn't feel that way. It was a blast having a new episode every day.

I really enjoyed the whole thing and I'm very excited about Season 3. It can't come soon enough!

Personal ranking in spoiler block (slight spoilers)

Spoiler

9. What If...Iron Man Crashed Into The Grandmaster?

This episode was a lot of fun, gave a new look at Tony and had some great racing action. But put next to other episodes this season, it lacked a bit in scope.

8. What If...Nebula Joined The Nova Corps?
The atmosphere of this episode was fantastic! There were great new takes on characters like Nebula & Howard The Duck. Some of the story beats felt a bit like stuff we've seen before though.

7. What If...Peter Quill Fought The Avengers?

It was really cool to see another version of the Avengers and the action here was fantastic. The ending just felt a bit rushed and again it didn't feel as special as it could be.

6. What If...Happy Hogan Saved Christmas?

Every joke lands and as a big Die Hard fan this was great. Jon Favrea & Kat Dennings were really fun and Sam Rockwell back as Justin Hammer was terrific. Loved it!

5. What If...Hela Found The Ten Rings?

To me, the next 5 episodes were all fantastic and I was so impressed with what they were able to do in 30 min. Cate Blanchett was having a blast and Hela's arc here was spectacular + that final fight was majestic!!

4. What If...Captain Carter Fought The Hydra Stomper?

And again...Fantastic action with great character work for Peggy and Natasha. Loved Rachel Weisz' return as Melina. I don't care what other people say, Peggy Carter is and always will be a fantastic character!

3. What If...Strange Supreme Intervened?

This was an assault on the senses and it felt a bit like the battle in Endgame. I loved every second of it, even if some stuff could've used more time. The action and visuals were fantastic and I loved all the cameos + easter eggs!

2. What If...Kahhori Reshaped The World?

Kudoos to the team for introducing a new character. I loved her from the first moment she was on screen and loved where the story went (it got pretty dark). I'm happy that this was fully in Mohawk. Made it all the more special!

1. What If...The Avengers Assembled In 1602?

This felt like an Avengers film. Great take on characters, cool new costume designs and maybe the best action of the series . And it had a really strong emotional hook that harkens back to films from Phase 1. Spectacular!!

This an absolute joke and truly ridiculous. I'm pretty angry. Been waiting for this music for weeks and there's around 4 hours of incredible music. And this is what we get! WTF.

32 minutes! In suites! Wow

Here’s the album track list:

1. What If…Super Nova Nebula (1:46)
2. What If…Peter Quill (3:56)
3. What If…Christmas (4:04)
4. What If…Sakaar Iron Man (3:06)
5. What If…Captain Carter (3:07)
6. What If…Kahhori (2:30)
7. What If…Hela (4:36)
8. What If…1602 (3:13)
9. What If…Strange Supreme (3:56)
10. What If…End Credits (2:10)

Sorry about the ramble but I really don't get it.

We're in 2024 for god's sake. Anything can be released. Look at Rings Of Power or What If's first season or a bunch of game scores.

It's just baffling to me that this is all they released.

Yes I'm upset and I'm gonna complain about it🤣

I've only watched the two first episodes and clearly the music is the best thing about the show and IMO the only thing truly good. I was wondering if I will continue watching this but if it's the only way to listen to her score, I guess I'll make an effort

24 minutes ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

I've only watched the two first episodes and clearly the music is the best thing about the show and IMO the only thing truly good. I was wondering if I will continue watching this but if it's the only way to listen to her score, I guess I'll make an effort

Music's fantastic. Lot's of great use of choir and strong action music. This album kinda does it a disservice to be honest

With Voices of Aladna out of Spotify and now this... something is up. I was worried when we didn't get weekly releases, but this album is an insult and way worse than I would have ever imagined.

4 minutes ago, Gabriel Bezerra said:

With Voices of Aladna out of Spotify and now this... something is up. I was worried when we didn't get weekly releases, but this album is an insult and way worse than I would have ever imagined.

Right?

Do we know the reason for that track being removed from streaming? Super weird. On YouTube Music the first track is also not available

image.png

Karpman also hasn't posted anytbing about What If...?

Her wife posted one thing about the Kahhori episode.

Karpman did just like my answer to a tweet about the album and my disappointment.