Leitmotif/themes/motifs within Saving Private Ryan and Schindler's list

aksarhils53

Hey guys, I'm attempting to write an essay on John Williams' score within the two films: Saving Private Ryan and Schindler's list and need to know if either of these two films feature a leitmotif. I've tried looking online and can't find much on the topic which has led me to concluded that there isn't any... Am i right in stating this?

Thanks for the help!

Schindler's List has 3 themes: the two main ones, Theme from Schindler's List and Reflections, don't have any obvious leitmotivic association, the third, the klezmery Jewish motif, obviously is associated with the Jews. It's heard in Jewish Town, Schindler's Workforce, Nacht Aktion and Immolation.

On 8/13/2021 at 11:26 PM, Holko said:

Schindler's List has 3 themes: the two main ones, Theme from Schindler's List and Reflections, don't have any obvious leitmotivic association, the third, the klezmery Jewish motif, obviously is associated with the Jews. It's heard in Jewish Town, Schindler's Workforce, Nacht Aktion and Immolation.

There's also some repeated material from Auschwitz Birkenau (heard in the opening of Making the List) and an arguable reprise of some of the Immolation music in the middle of Give Me Your Names (1:38)

Rare is a John Williams score that doesn't feature a theme of some kind. Both Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan both have thematic recurring musical ideas, that while thematic are not necessarily leitmotivic in nature as they do not always have that specific meaning tied to a single idea/place/character etc. but rather the movie as a whole.

Saving Private Ryan has a long lined main theme best heard at the start of the track Omaha Beach which then appears throughout the score. There is also at least one additional recurring brass motif that appear e.g. in:

Track 4 Finding Private Ryan 0:23-1:40

Track 7 Wade's Death 2:40-2:55

• 3 months later...

Huh I can't believe I never noticed that brass motif before!  Nice catch!

Reminds me of Lincoln

What does it represent in the film?