Rise of Skywalker suite with Detroit Symphony Orchestra

Molly Weasley

So this was barely advertised at least from what I've seen, but apparently the DSO did a Star Wars concert at Meadow Brook last night (over in Rochester MI) and they premiered the Rise of Skywalker suite. A musician I know snapped a pic of the part and it's JW. Was anyone there? Any details? Any cell phone in pocket snippets? Apologies if this was discussed elsewhere, I didn't find a thread on it yet! 

2 hours ago, Tom said:

Well that slipped under our radars.  Hopefully someone will give a report.  

It wasn't even on the DSO website! And the program said music from rise of skywalker, but didn't say anything like "premiere of the suite". You'd think they would have made it a bigger deal. 

1 hour ago, blondheim said:

Rey and Ben has to be Farewell! But will it have anything else mixed in?

I would love it to begin with some action music of Ben's theme and Rey's theme, but, yes, it is probably the exquisite music from the death scenes (sorry for the spoiler).  

I wish there had been a Last Jedi suite. I’d love nothing more than to hear The Spark’s version of the Luke and Leia theme live. Instead, we end up with a suite for what is easily the worst of the films.

The Spark would be an excellent concert piece.  He could have worked up something for the Holdo cue as well--the Fathiers too.  Not sure why he picks some SW movies for a one piece only approach. 

1 hour ago, blondheim said:

Rey and Ben has to be Farewell! But will it have anything else mixed in?

Seems most likely to me, too, especially because ‘Rey and Ren’ is a cue title for some portion of ‘Farewell’.

But there’s a lengthy section of material repeated between ‘The Rise of Skywalker’ and ‘Farewell’, which would be odd to have in two consecutive movements. Hmm…

Just now, BrotherSound said:

Seems most likely to me, too, especially because ‘Rey and Ren’ is a cue title for some portion of ‘Farewell’.

But there’s a lengthy section of material repeated between ‘The Rise of Skywalker’ and ‘Farewell’, which would be odd to have in two consecutive movements. Hmm…

I was also curious about that. Maybe it is an expanded section of the actual Farewell before the Victory fanfare section. Like Jedi Steps.

5 hours ago, Tom said:

The Spark would be an excellent concert piece.  He could have worked up something for the Holdo cue as well--the Fathiers too.  Not sure why he picks some SW movies for a one piece only approach. 

Holdo/Spark could work as one piece. He could also adapt Battle of Crait and Canto Bight. 

Karol

I didn't realise there was so much love on here for The Rise of Skywalker score. 

‘Psalm of the Sith’ will likely be Anthem of Evil? 

1 hour ago, Tom said:

It is such a fantastic piece (the film cue) and features a matured Rey's theme (which is probably what earned it a concert piece).  

This makes sense. I always hoped JW might revisit her theme with a new suite that reflects her narrative arc across the entire trilogy. Personally, that existing suite feels intrinsically tied to her narrative journey in TFA only.

Short of an entire reworking of Rey's Theme (ala the revised version of Han Solo and the Princess), Farewell (or "Ben and Rey") is probably the closest we'll get.

I also found this on Instagram earlier, which @BrotherSound identified as relating to Anthem of Evil (line 2). Note Kylo's secondary theme on line 1.

So this is likely a partial excerpt of Psalm of the Sith.

image.png

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSiGaTRgbCD/

Maybe this is a dumb question, but if the suite has not been released, how did they get it?  I understand that they can ask Williams, but these seem to be fully prepared pieces.  maybe my question is, if the suite if fully prepared, why would it not be released? 

So ‘Psalm of the Sith’ contains Kylo’s theme, judging from the upper staff, and then moves into Anthem of Evil. This is really interesting!

Edit, oops, Crumbs actually said that already.

23 minutes ago, Remco said:

So ‘Psalm of the Sith’ contains Kylo’s theme, judging from the upper staff, and then moves into Anthem of Evil. This is really interesting!

I guess, that's a compromise because the Anthem would have required a choir. So, he put Kylo's theme instead of the choir intro, so the suite can be performed with orchestra only.

The thought (which at this point seems high probability) is that this is the Hal Leonard Suite personally prepared by Williams--it has not, however, been released via their website.  

6 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

No, Williams did not stop by Rochester MI to perform a suite from TROS

It is possible that it is using a JW  signature edition suite arrangment

1 minute ago, Permanent Waves said:

No, Williams did not stop by Rochester MI to perform a suite from TROS

That’s not what I meant when I asked if this was something the Maestro personally did. I meant this suite; did John Williams personally prepare this suite?

7 minutes ago, Tom said:

The thought (which at this point seems high probability) is that this is the Hal Leonard Suite personally prepared by Williams--it has not, however, been released via their website.  

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

That’s not what I meant when I asked if this was something the Maestro personally did. I meant this suite; did John Williams personally prepare this suite?

Yeah, I didn't think that was what you mean't, but I wanted to be sure

hey how did this slip under our radar. I really wan to hear this

I really hope he re-worked The Rise of Skywalker, not because the OST version isn't great, but I would  like to hear any modified/re-worked version since it's such a great track. On the OST there's minor differences between the track proper and the passages in the End Credits which I slightly prefer.

10 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

I sent an email to sheetmusicplus, where I purchase all my signature scores, about it. I guess we’ll see what they have to say. 
By the way, signature scores are 20% off these days on their website. 

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Anyone else just waiting to find out what's in the suite so they can complete their concert arrangement playlist and finally play the whole thing?

I was doing a concert band arrangement of the sequel themes and stopped at the very very end of 2018 figuring if I just wait a little more than a year I'll have an Episode 9 Signature Edition of the film's themes for reference.