Rise of Skywalker suite with Detroit Symphony Orchestra

Molly Weasley

23 hours ago, crumbs said:

Short of an entire reworking of Rey's Theme (ala the revised version of Han Solo and the Princess), Farewell (or "Ben and Rey") is probably the closest we'll get.

Farewell also has that wonderful transfiguration of Kylo Ren's theme. I hope JW has extended that, and also the interplay between Rey and Ben material.

1 hour ago, TownerFan said:

Farewell also has that wonderful transfiguration of Kylo Ren's theme. I hope JW has extended that, and also the interplay between Rey and Ben material.

So, I've seen just enough of the sheet music now to see that it appears 'Rey and Ben' is identical to 'Farewell' as heard from 0:00-3:55, but then goes off in a different direction at that point. That makes sense given the ending material of 'Farewell' was just heard in the previous movement ('The Rise of Skywalker'). All I know is there's a rallentando marked there, so it's definitely not the jaunty fanfare material.

Looks like Mr.Williams has been very productive in the Lockdown period. This one is certainly a welcome surprise. I hope he will get a chance to perform this suite for a concert if not a studio recording.  

I hope he does the TROS suite at the Hollywood Bowl!

I imagine he would have done it this weekend at Tanglewood if they were still doing normal length concerts instead of covid-shortened ones.

if not, it'll get recorded and released somewhere, for sure.

9 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

So, I've seen just enough of the sheet music now to see that it appears 'Rey and Ben' is identical to 'Farewell' as heard from 0:00-3:55, but then goes off in a different direction at that point. That makes sense given the ending material of 'Farewell' was just heard in the previous movement ('The Rise of Skywalker'). All I know is there's a rallentando marked there, so it's definitely not the jaunty fanfare material.

We need a recording! I wish TLJ got more concert-oriented music. This suite for TROS could be the definitive presentation of some of the score's best music.

9 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

We need a recording! I wish TLJ got more concert-oriented music. This suite for TROS could be the definitive presentation of some of the score's best music.

Agreed with that. The Rise of Skywalker, The Speeder Chase and Farewell are already 3 of the best tracks on that soundtrack. Add to that a suite of 'villain' music that combines the big Anthem of Evil moment from Join Me, alongside some of Kylo's material (we know his B Theme is quoted) and hopefully some excerpts from the end credits, and he's really curated the score's major highlights in four acts.

Speeder Chase is too slow to be exciting. Its tone doesn't really fit the scene at all. 

I wonder if Falcon Flight has something funny up with it. Isn't that one of the tracks that too closely matches stuff from Gordy's Battlefront? 

I definitely enjoy Falcon Flight more than Speeder Chase, but I can understand why JW chose the latter for this suite. It's a uniquely standalone action cue with no pre-existing material, whereas Falcon Flight features constant references to themes and motifs from prior scores.

I imagine each of these pieces, aside from The Rise of Skywalker, are fairly revised, no? Otherwise, they have edits and oddities that scream film cue and not concert piece.

The speeder chase on the OST has lots of edits that make it sound a bit choppy and we seem to know Psalm of the Sith is quite different than Anthem of Evil or any other individual track. 

3 hours ago, SilverTrumpet said:

Speeder  Big Lumbering Van Chase is too slow to be exciting. Its tone doesn't really fit the scene at all. 

I disagree.  

4 minutes ago, Tom said:

I forgot how much I love A New Home. I wish that had been included as a fifth piece, but such is life. 

Here's hoping one day we get the alternate version of that cue, and it pairs nicely with the film version as its own mini-suite.

But yeah, I really wish we'd gotten that cue as the fifth and final act of this suite. It's the perfect closing cue for the trilogy, maybe even the whole saga. I'd love to hear Williams flesh it out into something more developed (an opportunity Abrams so rarely afforded him).

8 hours ago, SilverTrumpet said:

I think that's just a summary of what we were discussing here. 

I realized after posting that you guys had already mentioned the names before...I have a habit of doing this haha.

6 hours ago, crumbs said:

Here's hoping one day we get the alternate version of that cue, and it pairs nicely with the film version as its own mini-suite.

But yeah, I really wish we'd gotten that cue as the fifth and final act of this suite. It's the perfect closing cue for the trilogy, maybe even the whole saga. I'd love to hear Williams flesh it out into something more developed (an opportunity Abrams so rarely afforded him).

The Jedi Steps was expanded out to concert-length, so who knows?  Maybe one day A New Home will be as well...

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...