John Williams & Boston Pops Orchestra - Complete Philips Recordings (NEW 2022 21-CD boxset)

Jay

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

Without the final content of each CD, we can't say much...

On 18/08/2021 at 3:11 AM, TownerFan said:

I can also confirm this is going to be 20 discs, as That's Entertainment is not part of the collection (don't ask me why) and By Request has been shortened by the pieces that were culled from previous recordings (so you'll get just Olympic Fanfare, Liberty Fanfare, The Mission Theme, the 1941 March and the Jaws main theme) and coupled with selections from Pops Britannia (including the suite from Jane Eyre) on a single disc.

It probably can't be terribly different.  I think they recorded these albums digitally in 16/44.1 in the 80s and that's all there is.

16 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I hope a JWFan buys it just to inform us if the sound is different from the original CD releases.

I must say, I own none of these albums, so it might be really a good catch to purchase this box.

But I will not be able to compare it to the original edition.

59 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I must say, I own none of these albums, so it might be really a good catch to purchase this box.

But I will not be able to compare it to the original edition.

I bought Salute to Hollywood second hand just for the Balloon Scene from Witches of Eastwick. I love that piece!

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Wait a minute... isn't his teeth missing as well?

Wear of teeth from excessive consumption of cookies?

0028947975533..jpg

BTW, @Jay you just repeated the "name" of each CD, we already got that info...

But correct me if I'm wrong, we don't know yet the exact content of each CD.

2 minutes ago, Bespin said:

BTW, @Jay you just repeated the "name" of each CD, we already got that info...

But correct me if I'm wrong, we don't know yet the exact content of each CD.

On 18/08/2021 at 3:11 AM, TownerFan said:

I can also confirm this is going to be 20 discs, as That's Entertainment is not part of the collection (don't ask me why) and By Request has been shortened by the pieces that were culled from previous recordings (so you'll get just Olympic Fanfare, Liberty Fanfare, The Mission Theme, the 1941 March and the Jaws main theme) and coupled with selections from Pops Britannia (including the suite from Jane Eyre) on a single disc.

I have provided zero information about this set from myself, I only put the info in the main post from the website I found it on, and then quoted what Maurizio said since he clearly knows something about the production.

Same thing in the Spanish site:

https://www.amazon.es/dp/B09DDWK2JM/

What will be the estimated  price tag for this?

EDIT: WOW WOW WOW, the box set photo is also sporting "21CD" written on it!

71gadmuEeKL._SL1500_.jpg

Lets hope it is not interviews or screen savers....

On amazon.it it's €59.

https://www.amazon.it/dp/B09DDWK2JM

4 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

It's cheap for 21 cds but still a big investment. I hope the price adjustes near release date. I think i bought the sony box for around 44€ the same year of release.

I bought it for €30. :P

34 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

So someone probably made them aware of the mistake and they fixed it.

So Decca still seems to be doing the copy editing.

Fingers crossed! Hope they get everything in the right order and complete (!) and that we don't end up with a box set full of guitar music played by "John Williams" (à la Sony Classical birthday greetings).

Sony Classical can't tell one John Williams from another - Slipped DiscSlipped Disc | The inside track on classical music and related cultures, by Norman Lebrecht (slippedisc.com)

I do hope they've added That's Entertainment after all.  The "A Little Night Music" suite (arranged by Jonathan Tunick, Sondheim's long-time orchestrator) is one of my favorite tracks on any of the JW-BPO albums.

2 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

71gadmuEeKL._SL1500_.jpg

Did I mention that I will definitely be getting this? Hopefully the Amazon US link will be posted so this can be pre-ordered in advance.

I just did a bunch of various searches on Amazon US, and it's not in their system yet.  Should be soon, I'd reckon

I more interested in the confirmation that these are being remastered as per today's technical expertise !

But heck I'll still buy this irrespective. 

P. S. If they have changed the configuration for the albums that would certainly mean that they are using the original session tapes and not the previous album masters. Thus such a change should substantially require To be be remastered? 

One can easily use the data off old album masters and do whatever you want with it, including presenting music in a different order

Mike used the album masters for HP2 and HP3 for various tracks throughout the new expanded presentation of those, for example

When Decca reissued "The Planets" on a 2015 2-CD compilation called "JW Conducts music form Star Wars", I've compared the WAV with the original Philips CD.

They increased the volume without adding any compression. 

So there is hope for the boxset...

See, at the top, the Original Philips CD WAV, at the bottom, the 2015 reissue.

image.png

I wonder if this box set will include the original artwork for the albums?  I have Decca's box set of Zubin Mehta recordings, and the box design is nearly identical, but the disc sleeves themselves have no artwork.  

IMG_0616 (1).jpg

Correct 

16 hours ago, Amer said:

The Amazon UK listing mentions it as as a 21 Disc Set. So that means THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT set is liekly to be included. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09DDWK2JM/

16 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Same thing in the Spanish site:

https://www.amazon.es/dp/B09DDWK2JM/

What will be the estimated  price tag for this?

EDIT: WOW WOW WOW, the box set photo is also sporting "21CD" written on it!

16 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

So someone probably made them aware of the mistake and they fixed it.

14 hours ago, Jay said:

:whistle:

2 hours ago, Matt S. said:

I wonder if this box set will include the original artwork for the albums?  I have Decca's box set of Zubin Mehta recordings, and the box design is nearly identical, but the disc sleeves themselves have no artwork.  

IMG_0616 (1).jpg

The recent Herrmann Decca set had the original artwork on the sleeves. So I suppose they will follow suit. 

6 hours ago, Matt S. said:

IMG_0616 (1).jpg

Are the Mehta recording presented in recent remasterings?

8 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Are the Mehta recording presented in recent remasterings?

I can't say; the packaging gives no indication.  Some reviews on Amazon mention remastering, but they may or may not be accurate.  

32 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Let's be patient. Two more Month to go. Maybe the number will rise to 22 or 23 if we wait even longer.

I would like to see them include the full album of "By Request..." even though it is largely repeated material.  And as I said before, adding the five new tracks from "By Request" to "Pops Britannia" brings that to 85 minutes, which is supposedly too long for a single CD.

Do we know for a fact "That's Entertainment" is the 21st disc?  Is it possible it is still being excluded, but the full "By Request" is now the 21st disc?

If the volume of each albums is correctly increased a bit, just to make sure all albums play at a relative same volume, I'll buy that set... and if it's indeed complete, of course.

On 17/08/2021 at 4:46 PM, Jay said:

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/john-williams-boston-pops-orchestra-complete-philips-recordings/hnum/10693190

John Williams & Boston Pops Orchestra - Complete Philips Recordings
Boston Pops Orchestra , John Williams
20 CDs 

1. Pops on the March
  2. Pops in Space
  3. We wish you a merry Christmas
  4. Pops around the World
  5. Aisle Seat - Great Film Music
  6. Out of this World
  7. Prokofieff: Peter and the Wolf; Tchaikovsky: The Nutcracker (excerpts)
  8. With a Song in my Heart
  9. Swing, swing, swing
  10. America, the Dream goes on
  11. On Stage
  12. Bernstein by Boston
  13. Pops in Love
  14. Holst: The Planets
  15. Digital Jukebox
  16. Lucky to be me
  17. Salute to Hollywood
  18. Pops a la Russe
  19. Pops by Gershwin
  20. By Request / Pops Britannia

Artist: Boston Pops Orchestra, John Williams
Label: Decca , ADD
Order number: 10693190
Release date: 14.1.2022

JPC.de has released the updated list of CDs included in the box.
However there are still a few websites showing the 20cds info and picture.

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/john-williams-boston-pops-orchestra-complete-philips-recordings/hnum/10693190

From that track listing it looks like they're removing Orb and Sceptre along with Fantasia on Greensleeves from the Pops Britannia material.  Makes sense; both were included on earlier albums, and this brings the Pops Britannia/By Request CD down to 74 minutes.

1 hour ago, Matt S. said:

From that track listing it looks like they're removing Orb and Sceptre along with Fantasia on Greensleeves from the Pops Britannia material.  Makes sense; both were included on earlier albums, and this brings the Pops Britannia/By Request CD down to 74 minutes.

I am not sure it does though.

I mean: you are releasing a "complete" box set of 22 previously released albums, why would you bother about changing two of those albums for the sake of saving one disk in the box?

You are losing the historical accuracy so that the box has 21 discs instead of 22? Really?

1 hour ago, ciarlese said:

I mean: you are releasing a "complete" box set of 22 previously released albums, why would you bother about changing two of those albums for the sake of saving one disk in the box?

You are losing the historical accuracy so that the box has 21 discs instead of 22? Really?

I agree with... ciarlese