John Powell's HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2 (2014) - 2022 Varese Deluxe Edition

Jay

13 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

And I hope this means a deluxe for the 3rd one is not far behind

That's the one I want the most as a deluxe. Only for high quality version of the final battle and the cue were Toothless gets captured

Were those on the FYC? Because I might be able to take care of that elsewhere.

In any case, pretty happy to see this exists! I recently listened to a custom someone I know made, and while it doesn't quite hit the same notes for me that 1 and 3 does, it still has many great moments within. Definitely could use the sound quality increase as well, since the FYC presumably used some film mix of sorts instead of the original session masters.

Damn it! I mean, awesome! But this year is getting expensive.

Just give me the film version of Hiccup's speech at the end and all will be well.

(Reads again): Oh. 2022. That gives me a little breathing room.

It'll most likely be digital only, like Solo.  But you never know!

The OST album was released by Relativity Music Group, which no longer exists after Relativity went bankrupt.  Apparently their catalog was folded into Sony Music Group?

The film was distributed by 20th Century Fox, which is now Disney..... but produced by Dreamworks Animation, which is Universal Pictures.... who seems to have done all home media releases instead of Fox...

My head hurts already

5 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Woohoo! Let's hope it's a physical release.

Karol

I await the fireworks from the No CD = No Sale brigade at FSM if it's digital only :lol:

This is easily my most wanted of all the HTTYD expansions as the OST is missing some real highlights. I can't say the same for #3 though, which I think is a superbly produced album.

I somehow skipped past the fact that his Facebook post mentions Back Lot Music - the record label owned by Universal Pictures.

So the original soundtrack rights granted to Relativity Music Group must have either been temporary and expired after X years, or that contract ended when Relativity folded.  So now Universal owns all the rights themselves and can release this through their own label (Back Lot)

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

So now Universal owns all the rights themselves and can release this through their own label (Back Lot)

They do physical, right?

Sometimes, sure!

Boss Baby, Despicable Me 2, A Million Ways To Die In the West, Furious 7 and.... How To Train Your Dragon 3 all got physical CD editions from Back Lot.

Sometimes, they go digital only, like Let Him Go, Despicable Me 3, Minions, Croods 2 and Backdraft 2 - though Intrada later gave those last two physical CDs shortly after their digital releases

2 hours ago, FunnyML said:

Instant buy for me. That score is amazing, one of my holy grails.

But is there really that much unreleased music?

I don't seem to recall there is.

The first score release last year garnered a lot of praise and attention online and that was also praise for a physical cd. It would make sense that something as beloved as the HTTYD series would get a physical release in limited numbers knowing they'd sell to a larger audience than the typical film score CD enthusiasts!

HOW DID I MISS THIS?!

14 hours ago, Jay said:

It'll most likely be digital only, like Solo.  But you never know!

The OST album was released by Relativity Music Group, which no longer exists after Relativity went bankrupt.  Apparently their catalog was folded into Sony Music Group?

The film was distributed by 20th Century Fox, which is now Disney..... but produced by Dreamworks Animation, which is Universal Pictures.... who seems to have done all home media releases instead of Fox...

My head hurts already

Please let this be physical. I want this on my shelf.

8 hours ago, Anthony said:

But is there really that much unreleased music?

I don't seem to recall there is.

There's some, and the OST is not in chronological order. Cues fade into each other. You should expect some interesting alternates as well. And mixing could be improved. Certainly enough for a deluxe edition.

32 minutes ago, FunnyML said:

There's some, and the OST is not in chronological order. Cues fade into each other. You should expect some interesting alternates as well. And mixing could be improved. Certainly enough for a deluxe edition.

Yeah, the DVD has a lot of demos in the bonus feature docs, some sound the same as the final versions, others radically different, "Rats!" one example

OMG I am definitely excited for this one more than I was for part 1! CAN'T WAIT!!! I am oddly enough most excited for the instrumental extended version of the "Where No One Goes" song that was part of the lead-up to the end credits. It's just so damn exciting how they did that and it was NOT on the album or FYC.

5 hours ago, scallenger said:

OMG I am definitely excited for this one more than I was for part 1! CAN'T WAIT!!! I am oddly enough most excited for the instrumental extended version of the "Where No One Goes" song that was part of the lead-up to the end credits. It's just so damn exciting how they did that and it was NOT on the album or FYC.

Yes, I really damn hope it'll have 3 versions of the song! Track 2 with a different ending, instrumental version+unique buildup+song restarting for the finale/credits, album version at the end of the bonus section.

5 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Well album edits are the more contentious part - exclude them, and people complain, but include them (ala Sleepy Hollow) and people ask why they included them. The labels can't win either way.

For the most part I'm in favor of album edits. I'm sure there are exceptions. For example if we ever get THE REALLY BIG STAR WARS set(s) I would very much like them to include the original LP versions.

It's funny, I know HTTYD2 reasonably well but I know the music much better. So I'm not really sure where the differences are.

27 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

For the most part I'm in favor of album edits. I'm sure there are exceptions. For example if we ever get THE REALLY BIG STAR WARS set(s) I would very much like them to include the original LP versions.

Well the LPs had different mixes to the film, to it makes sense to include those. Would be great to have the analogue edits all cleaned up too.

Theoretically, if the multitracks survived intact for all 3 films (and Lucasfilm found them all), Mike would be able to recreate both mixes using the 16-track and 24-track masters.

I can actually see a way for Powell to include just two versions of the song. The album version then the pre-credits/credits version at the end he could simply have edit it to have the alternate thrilling ending that the earlier film version had. So you'd essentially get it all but in just one track.

Nah, that'd amount to a very unsatisfying track. The lack of resolution has to be in front and the proper buildup and proper resolution has to be at the end.

• 3 months later...

May be an image of text that says 'JOHN POWELL HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON2 in Full Score OMNIMUSIC PUBLISHING'

Pre-order on January 4, 2022! The full score book of How to Train Your Dragon 2 is ready 🎵📖
Batu Sener at 5 Cat Studios and Timothy Rodier at Omni Music Publishing were hard at work in the past 4 months to get this book published!
Following the first How to Train Your Dragon’s full study score, the second film’s book will also have every single cue - as written for the film!
The book will release later in Spring 2022 along with “How to Train Your Dragon 2: Deluxe Edition” soundtrack album!

21 minutes ago, scallenger said:

He also just confirmed to me on Instagram comment that the deluxe album will indeed include the film versions of "Where No One Goes"! *dies*

versionS? YES!

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Was there a reason to think it wouldn't be?

Because it's a Jonsi song?

49 minutes ago, greenturnedblue said:

How can there be more than one film version?

Because there was the version used at the beginning of the film that had strings and then there's album version used in the end credits.