John Powell's HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2 (2014) - 2022 Varese Deluxe Edition

Jay

48 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

Because it's a Jonsi song?

Because there was the version used at the beginning of the film that had strings and then there's album version used in the end credits.

And there's the instrumental over Hiccup's speech at the end. 

Yeppp. That was why I had to ask! It's kind of like how "Adventures Of Han" was left off the Deluxe Edition of "Solo"; I felt something similar could have happened here. Btw this is what he said "yes" to:

So excited for the deluxe edition! One if my favorite scores of all time! Question: Will it include the film versions of "Where No One Goes"? I love the fun exciting extension to the ending of the version in the opening of the film, and also the instrumental intro leading into the end credits version!

I may have been a bit wordy, I was tired but excited, haha. ;)

I think another reason why I felt they may not be included is because essentially to be "complete" you'd have to have a whopping THREE versions: the two used in the film and the album version. I think if a composer less interested in this kind of release had been involved, or same with the label, they would have just stuck with the album version. Now, if he does end up omitting the album version, I wouldn't be surprised or miffed at all since we of course already have it.

Basically the album version is the song as heard in the opening of the film (sans some extra instrumental flourishes from the film mix, if I am not mistaken) but without the exciting orchestral ending when Toothless crashes. The album's version of the ending however is also heard in the end credits version.

But who knows, perhaps the album version may still be included, which would be nice!

Maybe he think it makes the most financial sense to release these 1 per year to give each a chance to sell well

Plus I'm sure there'll be an omni book released at the same time, and those take a while to make happen

Well, the HTTYD2 DE and book have to come out first, and omni (I would assume ) would have to work on a book for 3 ;) (not to mention any other projects JP might be involved with)

So, demos that are out there:

Dragon Races

Where No One Goes

Together We Map the World

Drago's Coming

Flying With Mother

• 2 months later...

Yes, John Powell's intagram story confirms this Deluxe Edition album is coming this Friday to the CD format, and spans two discs!

Here' a direct link to the story

https://www.instagram.com/stories/johnj_powell/2790315182448713147/

It's possible we will be able to hear this before Friday if Back Lot does release it on digital platforms day-and-date with the CD edition, instead of waiting a few weeks

If that is the case, it will be up on iTunes NZ early Thursday morning, in USA time

1 minute ago, bollemanneke said:

So where should I Order this, Music Box? I have no idea why Varèse decided to get a UK store, unless they have signed up to that EU customs scheme thing.

Slow down, we don't even know whether this is even coning out on CD. It's just speculation so far.

Karol

6 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

So where should I Order this, Music Box? I have no idea why Varèse decided to get a UK store, unless they have signed up to that EU customs scheme thing.

Music Box would probably be your best bet, yea

4 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Slow down, we don't even know whether this is even coning out on CD. It's just speculation so far.

Karol

That is incorrect Karol - look at this image closer.

16 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Oh, I thought... with the Varèse clues... Never mind.

You thought correctly, Powell's instagram story 100% confirms that it is coming to the CD format this Friday (and that it's 2 discs)

Powell's post doesn't specify the label, but the only two possibilities are that Back Lot Music is releasing it on that format themselves and the Varese batch is unrelated, or Back Lot sublicensed the physical CD edition to Varese and it's one of their two Club titles this Friday.

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Random favourite bit from HTTYD 2 - wait for it around 3:00 ..... :dance:

And this:

Yes! two excellent renditions of my favorite themes from HTTYD2, the alpha theme and Valka's theme

Back Lot Records owns the rights to both sequel scores, since Relativity's contract for 2 expired when they went bankrupt, and they released 3 in the first place. 

So they could release both sequel scores on their own label entirely, or release the digital version on their own label and let Varase do a limited run of physical CDs, which seems to be what's happening. 

The most likely scenario is that Back Lot sublicensed the CD edition to Varese, and part of the deal was that they won't release the digital album until X weeks after the CD version comes out, in order to maximize the sales potential of the CD version

I was hoping it would appear on Spotify tomorrow to tide us over. Hmmm.

Also wonder whether it will contain the instrumental of the entire 'courting' track on the OST, where it would be nice to hear the music without the manic vocals. The FYC promo only has the first bit.

I actually think #3 is the best produced album of the three, and I haven't seen the film so I don't know what's missing.

43 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I was hoping it would appear on Spotify tomorrow to tide us over. Hmmm.

Also wonder whether it will contain the instrumental of the entire 'courting' track on the OST, where it would be nice to hear the music without the manic vocals. The FYC promo only has the first bit.

I actually think #3 is the best produced album of the three, and I haven't seen the film so I don't know what's missing.

I don’t think Hidden World is missing much and certainly nothing critical missing from what I recall. Just a few more incidental cues. Think it benefits from the several longer set pieces cues which all appear in their entirety (Third date, exodus, the waterfall sequence and the exceptional finale cue). I mean I’ll still buy an expansion!

I think the biggest thing from the 3rd score that's missing is the cue before the Armada Battle when Toothless is captured. And the Aramde cue is a bit more extended in the film.

I think the rest are some smaller cues

Clean crop:

HTTYD2Deluxe.jpg

The Varese link for the physical 2-CD set isn't live yet, but eventually will be here:

https://www.varesesarabande.com/products/how-to-train-your-dragon-2-the-deluxe-edition-cd
https://intl.varesesarabande.com/products/how-to-train-your-dragon-2-the-deluxe-edition-cd

The streaming / digital download edition won't arrive until Friday May 13th:

https://ffm.to/d2deluxe

Hmm: https://ffm.to/d2deluxe

Streaming available in.... 62 days' time. This smells a bit of losing the benefits of streaming technology just to boost Varese's sales.

Can't help feeling the website designer hasn't properly talked to anyone involved in the timings.

I'm not sure I follow what you mean.  I think it's great that Back Lot is giving Varese 9 weeks to maximize sales potential of the physical CD edition.  This is a win-win scenario.

And 9 weeks is still less time than it usually takes for Varese DEs to show up on streaming after their CD editions drop

Demos were way more interesting in the years before orchestral samples got so sophisticated.  Like hearing Elfman's demos for the 80s/90s scores in the Burton box was fascinating.  Nowadays they just sound like the final cue but kinda crappy.