John Powell's HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2 (2014) - 2022 Varese Deluxe Edition

Jay

13 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

We did get a proper lossless rip of the FYC eventually, but it is also missing 2m12 in addition to the Where No One Goes tracks, so even further reason for the official release to entice fans.

How did I NEVER notice that we had been missing an entire track this whole time! Yikes, not on my A-Game, clearly. Wasn't on the album either, I assume? That's exciting!

17 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I guess it depends on what edits were done to the cues for the film mix (ie, what would be on the FYC) and if you're fanatical enough to want those too alongside the complete score as originally recorded.

I was gonna also post about that, because it seems this has gone for the FYC versions of tracks, as the OST contains portions in various cues that don't show up in film. Moreso than the first score would you need both albums to have the most comprehensive set possible for the score.

7 minutes ago, scallenger said:

How did I NEVER notice that we had been missing an entire track this whole time! Yikes, not on my A-Game, clearly. Wasn't on the album either, I assume? That's exciting!

That's the one that pops out when comparing the tracklists. I remember being told that there were various bits that aren't on the FYC, but it seems likely that they're either minor inserts or stuff that got tracked from various cues.

18 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

I was gonna also post about that, because it seems this has gone for the FYC versions of tracks, as the OST contains portions in various cues that don't show up in film. Moreso than the first score would you need both albums to have the most comprehensive set possible for the score.

Huh?

So the final OST track called "Where No One Goes" is an album version of the song that is different than this release's track 3?

Or is it an album edit containing material from this release's tracks 3 and 34 together?

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

So the final OST track called "Where No One Goes" is an album version of the song that is different than this release's track 3?

Or is it an album edit containing material from this release's tracks 3 and 34 together?

I assume the album version is the song as originally composed, while the two tracks on the DE are film specific versions designed to go with the picture.

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

Track 3 is the OST track with a different ending, 34 is the OST track with a different opening. I think they're the same vocals over partly the same orchestral takes but differently mixed?

1 minute ago, HunterTech said:

I assume the album version is the song as originally composed, while the two tracks on the DE are film specific versions designed to go with the picture.

OK so the band wrote a song, then Powell wrote some instrumental intros/outros to lead into / out of a portion of the song that made sense for the movie?

1 minute ago, Holko said:

Track 4 is the OST track with a different ending, 34 is the OST track with a different opening. I think they're the same vocals over partly the same orchestral takes but differently mixed?

Track 4?

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

OK so the band wrote a song, then Powell wrote some instrumental intros/outros to lead into / out of a portion of the song that made sense for the movie?

Powell's material (renditions of the Flying theme) play under the whole song.

OK so it sounds like it is a little strange they didn't put the album version of the song in the bonus track section here

Here's what I got - any mistakes?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16tP9guNRQximflRug_ffMi8LVzmnrbBJLp3Rff2EKog

The way I see it, with the two film versions of tracks you essentially have the OST version (sans possibly mixing differences). Like Holko said, track 03 on CD 01 the Deluxe Edition is essentially the album version (with its opening) but with a different (more thrilling and abrupt) ending. Track 09 on CD 02 has a instrumental-only extended opening, then leads into the song, with its OST ending.

Let's take the album track as a basis - Jónsi vocals, a minimal band, Powell music with Flying Theme.

Track 3 - basically the first 2:00-2:10 of the OST track with a new ending, plus additional Flying Ostinato overlays on strings (or they were there all along but were dialed out for the OST)

Track 34 - starts with basically a Powell instrumental, goes into a unique bridge then continues as the album track from where the vocals start

You can take Track 3's opening up until maybe the end of the first vocal line, then switch to Track 34 to recreate the album track.

23 minutes ago, Holko said:

Huh?

It's hard to tell, since the edit I have is a bit all over the place, but it seems at least some tracks are the more truncated versions on the FYC.

That being said: some other tracks are either longer or in-between both OST and FYC, so maybe I just need a different person examining the three sets so that I can be fully positive.

Correction - Track 3 has different strings in the opening too so I guess no, you can't exactly recreate a 100% album verison from these two.

4 minutes ago, Holko said:

You can take Track 3's opening up until maybe the end of the first vocal line, then switch to Track 34 to recreate the album track.

Brilliant, that's what I was looking for

Just now, Holko said:

Correction - Track 3 has different strings in the opening too so I guess no, you can't exactly recreate a 100% album verison from these two.

Oh.  Oh well.

Well, I guess just hang onto the OST track then for those that want it. Was there ever a "single" release of the song? Heh. Personally, I prefer listening to the "reprise" the most anyway. That instrumental lead-in is so brilliant.

Yeah, I guess that song played in some foreign releases over the credits? Being in the US, I never even knew about that until years later, so I personally have no attachment to it haha. To my understanding it wasn't made "for the film", right?

6 minutes ago, scallenger said:

So I guess if one is still going to own the OST, get the European release to have BOTH songs. ;)

And the jewel case. ;)

By the way, you can find it very cheap anywhere in the UK. The Amazon prices are even lower. It was released here by Sony Classical.

Karol

Ordered of course!

As with the first score, I'll probably tweak the assembly a little bit to suit my own tastes. For example I don't like how the insert for the film version of Dragon Races is being released on its own without the rest of the cue. I know it's the only alternate part, but I don't think I'll be able to make a satisfying edit of the full cue with the film opening using just this new album. My existing personal edit of the score includes both versions in full, with the film version as Track 1 and the album version as the last track, which always made sense to me since the latter version is played in the end credits anyway.

Skimming down a little, I'm delighted to see we're getting both film version of the Jonsi song! Also, it looks like there's a whole cue that I didn't even realize I've been missing all these years -- 2m12 Dragon's Lair. So that's pretty cool! I'm another one of those who's a little disappointed that we aren't getting a true, complete instrumental version of the Courting Song, but I can't say I'm really surprised. I don't know if it's a bass or an electric guitar that was added to the climactic bits of Challenging the Alpha in the film mix, but that was one of my favorite discoveries on the FYC and I sure hope that's the mix that's being released here!

Last thought before I go to bed I guess -- I see the disc split is in the middle of the battle. That's kind of a counterintuitive assembly choice, but honestly, I think it'll work pretty well since the big percussive stinger at the end of Battle of the Bewilderbeast can serve as a sort of musical cliffhanger, then you pop in Disc 2 and the music will go immediately balls to the wall with the string ostinato that opens Hiccup Confronts Drago. God I love that cue.

This album cannot get delivered fast enough!

13 hours ago, Jay said:

The original opening to 1m1 is what's used for the OST. So the DE would be the official release of the film opening.

Other than that: 1m5, 2m11, 4m36-37, and 4m38 supposedly have some unique section differences on the OST from the FYC, but I haven't been able to fully check what they are. 3m20, 3m22, and 4m33 are also supposed to either be very different mixes or outright alt takes as well. I guess this'll be much easier to sort once the person whom I got all this info from or someone else very familiar with the score looks at the DE.

12 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

As with the first score, I'll probably tweak the assembly a little bit to suit my own tastes. For example I don't like how the insert for the film version of Dragon Races is being released on its own without the rest of the cue.

Last thought before I go to bed I guess -- I see the disc split is in the middle of the battle. That's kind of a counterintuitive assembly choice, but honestly, I think it'll work pretty well since the big percussive stinger at the end of Battle of the Bewilderbeast can serve as a sort of musical cliffhanger, then you pop in Disc 2 and the music will go immediately balls to the wall with the string ostinato that opens Hiccup Confronts Drago. God I love that cue

I prefer how Dragon Races is presented as I prefer the album opening. There wouldn't be a lot of point in putting the entire cue on twice just to present a different opening.

For the disc split, perhaps Battle of the Bewilderbeast could've gone at the start of the second disc, but it's only going to potentially bother those who put CDs inside a CD player to listen, and I find myself short of empathy for such ultra first-world problems :) 

I was mainly talking about in context of putting the film and album versions next to each other. If you relegated the album version to the end, then yes, perhaps.

Could we perhaps avoid using 'competent' and related terms when it comes to discussing arrangement decisions? It saddens me that we're routinely accusing producers of being incompetent when often they just make decisions we don't always agree with.

I listened to the FYC in the car today - I was reminded of how well the Alpha, Valka and Drago themes are introduced amongst the existing themes. There's also another motif that I think I heard bits of in Valka's Dragon Sanctuary which reappeared later on, but  wasn't sure what it represented.

Oh yea, of course I was referring to an edit with the replacement opening opening the main program, and the original untouched cue with the old opening being in the bonus tracks - I certainly not suggesting both entire cues be presented back to back to start the main program

I'm not sure I follow you about the competent producers thing with regards to this album - there is no real album programming done here at all, it's a direct dump of every cue in its own track in chronological order.  It's similar to the Rogue One Deluxe in that regard.

I completely agree with you that album producers who make decisions we don't like should not be called incompetent, but in this case I don't actually see any album producing work being done, it's just a dump of the material.

It strikes me that mostly, the more 'arranged' expansions are just taking the smaller cues and joining them to longer adjacent ones. IOW, the strict listening experience is exactly the same if you don't look at when the physical track is changing.

Sometimes the odd non-chronological move, but I'm not sure that an organised 'album' of this would look that different.

47 minutes ago, Jay said:

Oh yea, of course I was referring to an edit with the replacement opening opening the main program, and the original untouched cue with the old opening being in the bonus tracks - I certainly not suggesting both entire cues be presented back to back to start the main program

I'm not sure I follow you about the competent producers thing with regards to this album - there is no real album programming done here at all, it's a direct dump of every cue in its own track in chronological order.  It's similar to the Rogue One Deluxe in that regard.

I completely agree with you that album producers who make decisions we don't like should not be called incompetent, but in this case I don't actually see any album producing work being done, it's just a dump of the material.

I thought that was your preference, Jay.

When I complain about this type of release you praise it?

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

want every film score catalog release to include everything recorded, and I also want thought put into how to present all the material.  These two things are not mutually exclusive; There is never a reason to drop music from a release because it ruins the flow, the solution is always to put such music in the bonus track area instead if the producer feels that way about a cue.

Long story short, great album producers like Mike Matessino, Neil Bulk, etc always make all these considerations when producing their albums.  Whoever produced the Rogue One deluxe did not, and there seems to have also been very little of these thoughts put into the HTTYD1 and 2 Deluxes either.  Luckily Powell's music is so good that these minor quibbles are easily overcome, but that doesn't mean there's no merit in pointing it out.

100% agree

I don't really see the treatment of the alternate openings as representative of a lack of album production. Perhaps Powell just decided that he thought hearing both versions in sequence was a nice way to open the album, and that therefore naturally only one version of the bulk of the cue was needed.

Also, both scores have so minimal alternate material that simply presenting both versions side by side is just another way to do it.

The rest of both releases being just a dump of cues... technically they are, but again, that's down to whether there would be genuine creative reasons for joining or moving cues, that weren't just done for the sake of it. I've seen releases that are not considered 'collections of cues', where literally all that's been done is joining some cues together, making the tracklist a bit shorter. That's it.

Yea and I don't know HTTYD2 very well yet, but in the case of HTTYD1, just keeping every cue in its own track and keeping them all in chronological order worked wonderfully!  That release is fantastic, it sounds great and I've listened to it many many many times since it came out.  I just listen to a version with the opening track fixed :)

There are many other scores, though, where certain cues were written intending to overlap with another cue, and when good album producers re-create those overlaps it can be so satisfying, and when they do not can be so frustrating.  Like all those Temple of Doom cues that Williams wrote specifically to dovetail into the next cue, that Bouzereau just left hanging.

Of course the opposite is also true, where two cues that were not meant to connect get overlapped for no reason, that is an example of an album producer caring enough to make a decision, that I might not agree with - like the first Intrada release of Predator where they very aggressively overlapped a ton of cues, sometimes so much that material was lost in the editing process.  They listened to fan feedback and released a second album with many of those overlaps undone, which was great!

11 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I don't really see the treatment of the alternate openings as representative of a lack of album production. Perhaps Powell just decided that he thought hearing both versions in sequence was a nice way to open the album, and that therefore naturally only one version of the bulk of the cue was needed.

Also, both scores have so minimal alternate material that simply presenting both versions side by side is just another way to do it.

The rest of both releases being just a dump of cues... technically they are, but again, that's down to whether there would be genuine creative reasons for joining or moving cues, that weren't just done for the sake of it. I've seen releases that are not considered 'collections of cues', where literally all that's been done is joining some cues together, making the tracklist a bit shorter. That's it.

Compare the most recent version of RAIN MAN to the first score only release.

The second one joins short cues vastly improving the listenability.

DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL is another one.

Compare programme of  the VS rerecording to the Kritzerland.

The latter is much better!

12 minutes ago, Princeling1987 said:

I made a recap of HTTYD 2 themes a few months ago:

It looks like you attempted to manually indent things under each heading; On this board, all you have to do is click the "bulleted list" button to have the system indent for you!

image.png

My only critique of how the alternate openings are done for both films echos what everyone is saying, especially since you can't simply swamp them out. Like let's say you wanted the film version opening and the rest of the track, you'd have to do it editorially using a sound editor. It'd be simple, sure... but that's why they should have just had the full track as an alternate on Disc 2.

Personally though, I don't care so much since I do prefer the original versions. And the film version music IS included, so it's not like it is missing. However, we can all take comfort that unless there is an unknown alternate, the opening of the third film matches the album. ;)

Huh, you prefer the original opening for HTTYD1 over the re-write?  Wow, for me, the revised opening is one of my favorite moments in the entire score!

Me too! The alternate version with its sudden and heavy intro just doesn't work. The film version is much better at slowly, mysteriously setting the scene.

That said, I prefer the alternate opening for Dragon Races. I like its more upbeat start now that we're into the franchise.

Agreed, it's just too dark of a way to open the film / score.  The revision is perfect.

Yeah, but I agree that I do LOVE the film version for the first film, too. It's honestly almost equal. But for the second film I definitely prefer the original version, like not a contest at all haha.

I will also say that hearing the alternates back to back for each release, as different as they are, they are also similar enough where it DOES sound repetitive. I just think the choice simply doesn't work to put them together like this, and when I listen to the first film's DE I definitely put it at the end.

It's been ages since I saw the 2nd film, but is it conceivable that the 'original' opening for #2 is something Powell did for the album? It has that feel to it for me, especially given that the whole track is largely a concert piece for all of the first film's themes.