John Powell's HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2 (2014) - 2022 Varese Deluxe Edition

Jay

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I was mainly talking about in context of putting the film and album versions next to each other. If you relegated the album version to the end, then yes, perhaps.

Could we perhaps avoid using 'competent' and related terms when it comes to discussing arrangement decisions? It saddens me that we're routinely accusing producers of being incompetent when often they just make decisions we don't always agree with.

I listened to the FYC in the car today - I was reminded of how well the Alpha, Valka and Drago themes are introduced amongst the existing themes. There's also another motif that I think I heard bits of in Valka's Dragon Sanctuary which reappeared later on, but  wasn't sure what it represented.

The "Valka theme" that you mention is actually the Lost and Found theme. The one that begins "Valka's Dragon Sactuary" with chorus is actually Valka's theme

10 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

It's been ages since I saw the 2nd film, but is it conceivable that the 'original' opening for #2 is something Powell did for the album? It has that feel to it for me, especially given that the whole track is largely a concert piece for all of the first film's themes.

No, because the demo of that version was in the preview of the opening that was released prior to the theatrical release.

24 minutes ago, Jay said:

Huh, you prefer the original opening for HTTYD1 over the re-write?  Wow, for me, the revised opening is one of my favorite moments in the entire score!

The alternate version is also a rewrite, the original is only available via demos and uses the Winds of Change theme

4 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Both versions of Dragon Racing are so good, there's no reason not to have the film version as the album opening and the album version as an end credits piece.

That'd be great. 

We need Mike Matessino to work with Powell on these albums!

8 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Both versions of Dragon Racing are so good, there's no reason not to have the film version as the album opening and the album version as an end credits piece.

That's a nice idea!

While I'm not as familiar with the Dragon scores as I am with Solo, it was a little frustrating to end up with an "expanded" album rather than a "definitive" version. Only including film versions of cues while omitting the previously available album versions was strange, and joining cues (the train/mine/kessel run) where they clearly didn't need to be joined (nor were they on the OST) was rather odd. I had to self-engineer a hybrid album using material from both the OST and DE.

Yea I was hoping that Intrada would get to be able to put the Solo Deluxe on physical CD, and include bonus tracks after the main program with all the other stuff he recorded that isn't on the DE

1 hour ago, Anthony said:

1 hour ago, Jay said:

That's a nice idea!

Wouldn't that result in having the film version and the alternate demo version right after eachother?

Oh I have no issues with bonus tracks being redundant or whatever. Only main programs. 

Has anybody gotten a shipping notice yet?

I ordered Friday and mine still says "unfulfilled".  I checked the product pages for everything I bought on that order, and they all say "In stock, ready to ship"...

I guess Varese's shipping team doesn't work weekends :)

You'd think they'd announce new titles on Mondays or Tuesdays instead of Fridays if that's the case...

Weekends are Saturday to Sunday. They didn't ship on Friday and it's Monday and they didn't ship it today either. Feels great having paid more for fast courier shipping.

We don't know if they shipped some out on Friday and/or today or not.  There's like 4 people here who said theirs hasn't shipped yet, out of up to potentially 2,000 orders.

Omni must have started shipping the scores ages ago as it usually takes a week or two to get to me. My order of the two Elfman Batman scores took absolutely ages. Unusual for a company to dispatch quite so ahead of the official release date. 

While waiting to hear the music I come with an alternate cover to replace the one from Varèse which like the Iron Giant wasn't really my (little Giacchino moment) Hic-cup of Tea

How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Deluxe Edition Alternate #1).jpg

5 hours ago, HunterTech said:

Mine actually has, though it's still in the "label created" phase currently.

I too have a label created.

16 hours ago, Jay said:

You'd think they'd announce new titles on Mondays or Tuesdays instead of Fridays if that's the case...

This! 100%! As I've stated before, Friday evening release is useless for the international store (waiting a minimum of 3 days before dispatch) and if it's midday in the west coast, it's only giving Varese themselves a few hours.

I don't even get a first class postage option (makes no sense why) so if they're busy, which it appears they are this week, it's nearly a week to receive something that's about 5 hours drive from here.

I hate to complain about it really - amongst all the bug-bears of people here, waiting for things is my achilles heel :( 

I just got my sipping email 15 minutes ago, with a tracking number.  Only entry is the tracking is the "label created" thing though.

Wait - they ship out of Texas now!?  Since when?

35 minutes ago, Jay said:

Wait - they ship out of Texas now!?  Since when?

This is certainly my first Varese shipment from Texas.

Yeah, I was thrown off by the Texas thing, since I figured their offices were still in LA like the other labels. Not sure why that would be, though I doubt Back Lot might've had anything to do with it.

No no, I ordered HTTYD along with 5 other titles and they all shipped from Texas.  Clearly their warehouse is there now.  I'm sure their offices are still in LA

1 minute ago, Anthony said:

I ordered mine from the international store - wonder where that will come from

England...

I had to email them to get a tracking number and any update - turns out they created a label today and it was picked up by UPS an hour ago.

I just got a shipping e-mail, and the tracking number says it was actually received by RM this afternoon so I'll get it Thurs.

Pleaaaaasseeee Varese.... change your release day.. this sucks :| 

7 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Pleaaaaasseeee Varese.... change your release day.. this sucks :| 

Bit of a strong reaction... :blink: :D

Mine has shipped too. Woop!