John Powell's HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2 (2014) - 2022 Varese Deluxe Edition

Jay

4 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

0:25-1:25 in Reprise is a real hidden gem

If this is the part I think it is (Hiccup's closing narration) then there's nothing hidden about this gem. It's the track I'm looking forward to most. 

There were a lot of things I was afraid they might screw up on this release. There were a bunch of 10-20 second snippets of music on the OST that weren’t on the FYC and vice versa. There were a ton of differences in mix between the two albums as well. Having played most of it twice now, I’m pleased to report that my fears were pretty much completely unfounded and this album came out fantastic! Even editing the film version of Dragon Racing turned out to be pretty easy.

After doing that, I added in the album version of Where No One Goes, recreated two additional album tracks from the new master just because I liked them (“Hiccup’s Gonna Be Chief / Drago’s Coming” and “For the Dancing and the Dreaming”) and as a final touch threw in the FSM interviews Tim Burden conducted with Powell when the film came out. Now I’ve got a fairly exhaustive personal album for this score that I should be satisfied with for years to come. I’ll be shocked if this isn’t my favorite soundtrack release of the year.

2 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

There were a bunch of 10-20 second snippets of music on the OST that weren’t on the FYC

Where can those be found on this release? 

6 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

0:25-1:25 in Reprise is a real hidden gem - I had no idea what to expect from this version. And those strings around 2:00 are just insane, but somehow they work over the brass. I absolutely love this cue as a way of ending the main program.

And that ending with instruments doubling the vocal line! :lovethis:

The HTTYD1 demos are more like worse sounding versions of the film cues, the only difference being the mix, with some different instrument balances making some details more audible. These ones for 2 are more like alternate takes with some different orchestrational or phrasing differences all over the place.

9 hours ago, Tallguy said:

If this is the part I think it is (Hiccup's closing narration) then there's nothing hidden about this gem. It's the track I'm looking forward to most. 

I've seen the movie once, close to when it came out, hence zero familiarity with the score in the film. I had little idea what to anticipate with these variations.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but if track 2 "Where No One Goes" is the song with a new ending, and track 34 "Where No One Goes Reprise" the song with a new opening, then can reverse phasing be used to get the New Ending and New Opening clean?

Similarly, can the beginning track 2 be combined with the ending of track 34 to re-create the album / full version of the song, but with DE sound quality?

23 minutes ago, Jay said:

can the beginning track 2 be combined with the ending of track 34 to re-create the album / full version of the song, but with DE sound quality?

The album version has a lot of the orchestra mixed out, the DE mixes it back in for both of the tracks, so technically no.

23 minutes ago, Jay said:

Maybe this is a dumb question, but if track 2 "Where No One Goes" is the song with a new ending, and track 34 "Where No One Goes Reprise" the song with a new opening, then can reverse phasing be used to get the New Ending and New Opening clean?

Will look into it shortly! The new opening is something like instrumental excerpts put together with some new elements and a unique bridge to the song's opening.

13 minutes ago, Holko said:

The album version has a lot of the orchestra mixed out, the DE mixes it back in for both of the tracks, so technically no.

Sorry, but that's exactly what I meant - the album version of the song in terms of composition, the the DE mix in terms of instruments heard.

13 minutes ago, Holko said:

Will look into it shortly!

Brooklyn99 Noice GIF - Brooklyn99 Noice Jake Peralta - Discover & Share GIFs

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Sorry, but that's exactly what I meant - the album version of the song in terms of composition, the the DE mix in terms of instruments heard.

Oh, then yeah, sure. Or you could use the opening of Track 34 too for some extra bits.

For me the "reprise" is the true full song, and the first appearance feels more like a fun introduction to it. I still feel the album version of the song is mixed so differently that it is worth just including instead of recreating it in this new mix. Makes for a more interesting variation of it to have, imo. In a way I am kind of torn on what mix I prefer for the song honestly. Maybe I am just used to it after so many years, lol.

For me the only reason to potentially prefer the album mix is that the brass in the bridge isn't underneath those rushing strings, but I think they work and make the track more exciting. I'm not rushing to put the original mix in my playlist.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

if track 2 "Where No One Goes" is the song with a new ending, and track 34 "Where No One Goes Reprise" the song with a new opening, then can reverse phasing be used to get the New Ending and New Opening clean?

Not really. The mix is different, the drums continue over the new ending, however I did manage to get a pretty good orchestral instrumental pretty easily!

3 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I love the song - Powell's orchestral bits are the icing on the cake :dance:

Does Dragon's Lair have a slight Stargate vibe for anyone else?

I absolutely love the song. I mean, it's basically a song made after Powell's theme, and of course they both worked on it. So it feels very much like a piece of the score, unlike the other two songs in the trilogy.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I like how different it is from the first score - no one can call this a retread. 

Wierd thing is I have actually seen people say that! (There are some lifted sections, but not that much!)

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Just got done with my first listen (well, I haven't checked out the demos yet).  Wow, what a score!

The old themes returning all sound great, and some get twisted and turned in so many new ways, it's almost like they are new themes.  Astrid's theme especially!

I like how different it is from the first score - no one can call this a retread.  Even Williams has written sequel scores that stick way closer to their first entries than this score ever does.  Sure, it has a similar-ish opening and climax, but everything in between is so wildly different!  I haven't even seen the movie and I can tell just from the music it's a different kind of story than the first film was.

I can't provide any thoughts on how this compares to the OST, FYC or film, but as a followup to my beloved HTTYD 1 DE (one of my most listened to albums of music in the past 5 years), this is an instant hit for me!

I can't wait to get my physical copy and delve into the liner notes!  I actually pulled my HTTYD1 DE off the shelf and am going to re-read those liners first.

Oh, and I just came across this:

I like the number of times the term "bullshitting" appeared in that without being edited out. :D

46 minutes ago, Power Windows said:

Wierd thing is I have actually seen people say that! (There are some lifted sections, but not that much!)

My brother is a professional musician and a Powell fan and he says this. I swear it's all because of Dragon Racing.

To me Powell plays the old themes in Dragon Racing and then goes off the rails with the new stuff. Stoik's Ship makes me cry EVERY damn time.

15 hours ago, Tallguy said:

My brother is a professional musician and a Powell fan and he says this. I swear it's all because of Dragon Racing.

To me Powell plays the old themes in Dragon Racing and then goes off the rails with the new stuff. Stoik's Ship makes me cry EVERY damn time.

There are the times he references Wounded in Hiccup and Valka Bond, and to Wings in Challenging the Alpha

And of course Bewilderbeast shares some similarities with Over/Less Okay

19 minutes ago, Power Windows said:

There are the times he references Wounded in Hiccup and Valka Bond, and to Wings in Challenging the Alpha

And of course Bewilderbeast shares some similarities with Over/Less Okay

I'm not saying he abandons the old themes. I'm just saying he doesn't quote them as directly as he does in Dragon Racing.

On 16/03/2022 at 8:10 PM, Holko said:

Mine was already in Budapest this morning, they processed the customs paper I had to send in my afternoon, I'll have to pay it in cash tomorrow. Last time I order small from outside the EU.

Én ugyanígy jártam a Varése Scream díszdoboza kapcsán, amikor a UPS szürreálisan magas vámot állapított meg. Vissza is küldtem a csomagot Angliába, és visszautalták a termék árát. Sajnos az USA-beli és brit kiadóktól nem érdemes közvetlenül rendelni az EU-ba. 

7 minutes ago, JTW said:

Én ugyanígy jártam a Varése Scream díszdoboza kapcsán, amikor a UPS szürreálisan magas vámot állapított meg. Vissza is küldtem a csomagot Angliába, és visszautalták a termék árát. Sajnos az USA-beli és brit kiadóktól nem érdemes közvetlenül rendelni az EU-ba. 

Csak erre az egy HTTYD2 CDre tízezret dobtak a rohadékok.

16 minutes ago, Holko said:

Csak erre az egy HTTYD2 CDre tízezret dobtak a rohadékok.

Elmebeteg árakat szabnak, egyszerűen szürreális, hogy mire megkapod a CD-t, még egyszer ki kell fizetned az árát. Ennyi erővel kettőt is vehetnénk. És ráadásul még vámkezelő nyilatkozatokat kell töltögetni, emailben küldözgetni, sőt, amikor a Magyar Posta szórakozik, még el is kell menni érte a postára. A múltkor két hónapig vártam egy La-La Land csomagra. Egy ismerősöm megrendelte a Music Boxtól, és másnap megkapta, hamarabb, mint én, aki a megjelenés napján, 21:00-kor helyi idő szerint megrendeltem. Ekkor döntöttem el, hogy soha többet nem rendelek EU-n kívülről CD-t. 

17 minutes ago, JTW said:

Elmebeteg árakat szabnak, egyszerűen szürreális, hogy mire megkapod a CD-t, még egyszer ki kell fizetned az árát. Ennyi erővel kettőt is vehetnénk. És ráadásul még vámkezelő nyilatkozatokat kell töltögetni, emailben küldözgetni, sőt, amikor a Magyar Posta szórakozik, még el is kell menni érte a postára. A múltkor két hónapig vártam egy La-La Land csomagra. Egy ismerősöm megrendelte a Music Boxtól, és másnap megkapta, hamarabb, mint én, aki a megjelenés napján, 21:00-kor helyi idő szerint megrendeltem. Ekkor döntöttem el, hogy soha többet nem rendelek EU-n kívülről CD-t. 

Még a régi szép időkben amikor lehetett, a LLL és Intrada alacsony értékűnek jelölte a csomagokat hogy átcsússzanak a vám alatt. Így is ült rajta a posta egy hétig és maga a szállítás drága volt de 1-2 leárazáskor megérte.

31 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Geez, I must have activated the auto translation button on my phone by error, I can't read anything!

:devil:

Just now, Holko said:

Még a régi szép időkben amikor lehetett, a LLL és Intrada alacsony értékűnek jelölte a csomagokat hogy átcsússzanak a vám alatt. Így is ült rajta a posta egy hétig és maga a szállítás drága volt de 1-2 leárazáskor megérte.

Igen, régebben gond nélkül működött minden, és volt, hogy Burbankből 7 nap alatt megérkezett a csomag, és a postás kihozta. Ma már csak bedobnak egy cetlit, hogy szíveskedjek átvenni a postán, de csak ha előtte befizettem az általuk megállapított vámot, ami egyszer 6000 Ft. volt, pedig 1500 Ft-nál többet nem kérhetnének. Rablás. 

A Music Box sem olcsó, de nincs vám, és 17 Euro a postaköltség, akárhány CD-t rendelsz, és a feladástól számított 2-3 nap alatt mindig megjön a csomag (ami keménydobozban van, nem úgy, mint a LLL-nél - Intrada és Quartet kifogástalanul csomagol), és a DHL leteszi az ajtó elé, vagy ahová kérem. 

14 minutes ago, Holko said:

:devil:

Visszatérve a HTTYD2-re: Alig várom, hogy megérkezzen hétfőn. Tavaly interjút készítettem John Powellel, az egyik kedvenc filmzeneszerzőm. 

7 minutes ago, JTW said:

Igen, régebben gond nélkül működött minden, és volt, hogy Burbankből 7 nap alatt megérkezett a csomag, és a postás kihozta. Ma már csak bedobnak egy cetlit, hogy szíveskedjek átvenni a postán, de csak ha előtte befizettem az általuk megállapított vámot, ami egyszer 6000 Ft. volt, pedig 1500 Ft-nál többet nem kérhetnének. Rablás. 

A Music Box sem olcsó, de nincs vám, és 17 Euro a postaköltség, akárhány CD-t rendelsz, és a feladástól számított 2-3 nap alatt mindig megjön a csomag (ami keménydobozban van, nem úgy, mint a LLL-nél - Intrada és Quartet kifogástalanul csomagol), és a DHL leteszi az ajtó elé, vagy ahová kérem. 

Na de most már olvasd a csodás analíziseimet. :lol:

37 minutes ago, JTW said:

Tavaly interjút készítettem John Powellel

Úúúúúúúú, hol olvasható?

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

Úúúúúúúú, hol olvasható?

Hallható, Zoom interjú volt. A Klasszik Rádió Cinemusic műsorában ment le, elvileg az archívumukban megtalálható. 

Just now, JTW said:

Hallható, Zoom interjú volt. A Klasszik Rádió Cinemusic műsorában ment le, elvileg az archívumukban megtalálható. Ha szeretnéd, el tudom küldeni a szerkesztetlen változatot. 

Sorry gents, we have an English only policy on this forum (though I realize now it's not mentioned in the current rules post, I know it used to be...)

My copy arrived today along with THE IRON GIANT DE. Looking forward to listening to it (them).