John Powell's HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2 (2014) - 2022 Varese Deluxe Edition

Jay

That's a relatively new thing for Varese Sarabande.  Basically, since they now have a US store and a UK store, they split the allowed amount between the two stores.  So I guess in this case it's limited to 3,000 total, and they are selling 2,000 through the US store and 1,000 through the UK store?  Something like that.

Nearly finished listening to the main score. The opening insert sucks. Its placement I mean. The source cues are also a necessary evil, but other than that it's outrageously good. It surpasses the first score on every level.

Gonna have to agree to disagree there :)

I'm with you on the arrangement for the first score, but I think it works here. The more relaxed film opening feels like it's a warm-up, then the (IMO) superior alternate opening gets things going more energetically.

The film opening doesn't really end in a very satisfying way, as in no interesting chords or anything, but I still think it works fine as a standalone cue.

Honestly, the official assembly works well enough for me musically, I just prefer having both full versions of the cue so I can swap them out for different playlists.

Disc 2. Presentation is still too raw (worst album ending ever), but the music is still as mind-boggling as always. I especially love the demos. There’s something so polished and clear about the choir and the whole thing in general that you just don’t get in a real orchestra. Flying with mother… surreal. The complete demos have to leak for this score.

A great shame, since I think the two mixes of the song on the DE arguably does more to make itself fit better among the rest of the score. Particularly with how Jonsi's vocals are in the mix, since it doesn't overwhelm at any point, and arguably feels more like an instrument that's part of the soundscape. Of course, the general package is still the same, so you can only do so much, but I do think it does enough unique things that anyone more apprehensive should give them a shot at least once.

(Of course you could also just keep listening to Test Drive. That works too.)

Just now, Power Windows said:

WNOG is great, you guys are high.

OK, maybe its just OK, but I still like it.

I think it's good. But my daughter loves it so that makes it great. 

58 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

The complete demos have to leak for this score.

Yeah, there are some that actually have differences that have yet to leak (without SFX), including early versions Where No One Goes and Drago Is Coming.

I think he puts them on the sets, as a curio, sort of like his instagram/youtube videos that have the piano roll thingy. Not so much as to present different versions.

I know, I meant how he settled on the exact 6 he went with for each score, not why he included some at all

Just now, Jay said:

I know, I meant how he settled on the exact 6 he went with for each score, not why he included some at all

Probably chooses the ones fans seem to respond to, or the what he considers the major setpieces?

They are likely what he considers the highlights of the score (and I agree with him, if that is the case).

They also seem to be from sequences where music is mixed to the front; where music carries the scene all by itself - which is to say dialogues and sound effects are almost inconsequential, if not nonexistent.

Besides, a cue like "Dragon Racing" represents a composer's studio gear, sound bank/sample quality, and demo-making skills much better than, say, "Riding to Drago’s".

Just my guesses.

Finally... it has arrived. I knew you were all waiting for this important update. However, I'm going to add a minor bitch... for about the third time in a row, Varese have sent something wrong in my order. I got HTTYD (1) instead of Iron Giant. I appreciate mistakes happen but it's getting a bit ridiculous now! Ah well, at least I have HTTYD2 and Dante's Peak to enjoy and further anticipation for the Iron Giant. I'm patient. Honest.

Damn that sucks.  My Varese box had all the correct titles in it

Haven't had time to open up HTTYD 2 yet, though!  If I still had a car with a CD player in it, I would have opened it up already to play there...

Yesterday, I canceled my pre-order from soundtrackcorner and placed a new order at Music Box Records, along with Superman and Always. They already have their second batch of HTYYD2 in stock while soundtrackcorner not even mentions when they will get their first.:eh:

26 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Plus they to my surprise in this latest package with HTTYD 2 even included replacement discs for my The Eiger Saction and The Sleepy Hollow sets I ordered via them without me even having to specifically ask for them.

That's actually really impressive. When I asked them about replacement discs for A.I. that went smoothly as well.

Loved every minute. I almost wish I could go back in time and listen to it for the first time again, but I'll console myself with just being able to enjoy the whole thing in superb sound. I'm glad JP has moved to more natural, less compressed mixes these days, his music sounds much better like that!

If anyone wants an embarrassment of custom covers, I heartily recommend https://www.thesoundtrackgallery.com/2020/12/how-to-train-your-dragon-2-john-powell.html which will make you cry at having to actually choose... There's also some on Deviant Art and elsewhere. However, for the main programme, I went for this one as it perfectly mixes epic with the core relationship between Hiccup and Toothless. I believe it was from here http://customscorecovers.blogspot.com/2019/ but I'm not 100% sure! Lovely stuff.

How to Train Your Dragon 2.png

5 hours ago, Jay said:

I guess it's just temporarily out of stock. Would be very surprised if this sold out in one week, considering the first one that came out more than a year ago is still in print (even if it has more units).

1 hour ago, timelord327 said:

Is it possible to edit together the film version of Dragon Racing just using the first 2 tracks?

Of course

1 hour ago, timelord327 said:

And if so, how would I do it?

Here's the FYC track you can listen to as a reference for how to edit using the Deluxe

Confirmed that it did sell out from what they allocated for the US

(not my image, it's from the FSM thread)

DMG24Dh.jpg

Wow, very interesting! While they did produce 1,000 less units for this score compared to the first, this one definitely seems to be more popular! Kind of surprised but not at the same time?

Plenty of film scores pressed to vinyl sell out instantly still

But for film scores on CD, I know the Kritzerland Missouri Breaks sold out in 72 hours,  9 years ago.  I can't remember if there's been any quick sellouts since then

I might still grab it, as I love these scores to death. But if I miss the chance, eh, we’ll probably get a Super Mega Deluxe Edition in ten years with “even more improved sound quality! You can hear the chairs moving, omg!!”.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Plenty of film scores pressed to vinyl sell out instantly still

The Tron legacy Mondo vinyl sold out pretty much instantly, and so did the rerelease a year or two later

10 hours ago, scallenger said:

Wow, very interesting! While they did produce 1,000 less units for this score compared to the first, this one definitely seems to be more popular! Kind of surprised but not at the same time?

2 is the better score. No competition. 1 has great ideas, but 2 is a much tighter listening experience.

Received my copy today! So glad to have this set and that these companies are invested in producing them. Everything sounds so pristine and clear!

I reckon once people got a taste for the first score's deluxe edition, they jumped on this one with more fervour. Hopefully Disney are watching this.

On 28/3/2022 at 1:01 PM, Jay said:

Of course

Here's the FYC track you can listen to as a reference for how to edit using the Deluxe

I knew there was a reason to keep the FYC in my library! Aside from anything, it’s a good excuse to be able to use more of the gorgeous custom artwork out there.

Is there anything else from all the various “custom” editions out there that are worth keeping? Unlike the first score, I kept the original album and FYC in my iTunes library but I slightly regret taking deleting the first film OST. It had some of the highest individual track plays of any soundtrack I own! See you tomorrow and test drive would be totally worn through if it were vinyl… think I’ll re-add it. If nothing else, it’s my one signed JP score when I met him a few years ago so has significant sentimental value even if on iTunes it’s just files.

Interesting that the one key alternate on both of the first two scores is the opening. I wonder if Powell composed two versions to let the director pick? I think I’d rather have had the full version of both alternates on both scores and Powell just chose the one he liked/felt fitted best in the main program with the other as an bonus track. Conversely to some, I find it less distracting on the first score than the sequel.

4 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

2 is the better score. No competition. 1 has great ideas, but 2 is a much tighter listening experience.

Ooh, the HTTYD2 listening experience is TIGHT! 

So... Why was the film version of the finale (Where No One Goes Reprise) left off of the original album? Wouldn't that have made a satisfying conclusion to the CD?

Unclear, sir!

OK!

15 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

1 feels more intimate and fantasy oriented. 2 is just a straight up balls-to-the-wall swashbuckler and as such has always been my favorite.