I'm fairly certain the "2nd" ending in Duel Of the Fates was added a later date - later recording session that is

InTheCity

The thing that baffles me is that there is a whole section of the fight, before "The Great Dual", which in the movie is scored with more Duel of the Fates (including the section that was replaced in the final edit of the official "Duel of the Fates" track), but, as far as I know, Williams didn't write any music for the scene, right?

9 hours ago, oierem said:

The thing that buffles me is that there is a whole section of the fight, before "The Great Dual", which in the movie is scored with more Duel of the Fates (including the section that was replaced in the final edit of the official "Duel of the Fates" track), but, as far as I know, Williams didn't write any music for the scene, right?

Everything was scored. The entire battle from beginning to end. Most of that material ended up being cut though and replaced with DotF.

My mistake, I had forgotten that the generator entrance scene was not (that we're aware of).

6 hours ago, oierem said:

The thing that buffles me is that there is a whole section of the fight, before "The Great Dual", which in the movie is scored with more Duel of the Fates (including the section that was replaced in the final edit of the official "Duel of the Fates" track), but, as far as I know, Williams didn't write any music for the scene, right?

It seems nothing was written or recorded for that, yeah. My best guess is that they intended to track in the end credits all along.

@Manakin Skywalker, which music do you think was written for the earlier part of the duel (the part in which they move from the hangar to the big generator room or whatever)?

3 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Interesting discussion but it makes you wonder if Lucas really meant it when he said that JW contributed whatever proportion of the success of Star Wars given that he faffed around with them prequels music so much.

I think they just realised they had a turkey on their hands in the dying weeks of post-production and panicked, scrambling to re-edit the film into something more exciting.

There's some illuminating BTS footage of the first crew screening and everyone looks awkward/embarrassed by what they just watched.

1 hour ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Interesting discussion but it makes you wonder if Lucas really meant it when he said that JW contributed whatever proportion of the success of Star Wars given that he faffed around with them prequels music so much.

That's filmmaking for you. It happened in the OT, too. Think of how much of ESB's score was dropped or replaced. And in TPM's case, yeah, they heavily recut the whole end battle after the music was written.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

I think they just realised they had a turkey on their hands in the dying weeks of post-production and panicked, scrambling to re-edit the film into something more exciting.

There's some illuminating BTS footage of the first crew screening and everyone looks awkward/embarrassed by what they just watched.

Figures... such a shame, as I've said before, JJ and crew should have remade the prequels, not the originals.

3 minutes ago, Datameister said:

That's filmmaking for you. It happened in the OT, too. Think of how much of ESB's score was dropped or replaced. And in TPM's case, yeah, they heavily recut the whole end battle after the music was written.

Not sure it's nearly as much as for the prequels or sequels though. Of all the films where the filmmakers should appreciate the importance of the music, these are they.

13 minutes ago, ins said:

The Rick Berman of Lucasfilm ;-)

3 hours ago, Datameister said:

@Manakin Skywalker, which music do you think was written for the earlier part of the duel (the part in which they move from the hangar to the big generator room or whatever)?

That's my mistake, I could have sworn one of the videos in the restored music thread covered that scene, but apparently not.

In that case I'm not sure... maybe they did intend on just editing in portions of DotF (and then George went nuts and decided to use it throughout the entire battle sequence). Or perhaps the less likely scenario that it wasn't going to have music at all. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4 hours ago, Datameister said:

Exactly.

As music fans, it may be hard for us to accept it, but that's the truth. Filmmakers want (and, in a way, need) to have freedom to edit/change/replace the music as they see fit, same as they edit the performances (which doesn't mean they don't respect the actors!).

6 hours ago, crumbs said:

That's totally out of context. It's a normal reaction from filmmakers to a screening of a rough cut. It's a work in progress. And they've probably watched each scene a hundred times already - they aren't going to be self-congratulating, they're going to be critical about what they've done and analyzing what they need to improve. That's how artists work.

When Lucas first showed Star Wars to his filmmaker friends back in 1977 the reaction was... not good. And we all know how that turned out...

On 9/16/2021 at 1:35 PM, Manakin Skywalker said:

That's my mistake, I could have sworn one of the videos in the restored music thread covered that scene, but apparently not.

Your probably thinking of my The Droid Battle Video, which starts with Obi-Wan flipping over to the platform Maul is on and the closeup of Maul blocking the attack.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxQSwI5aPja9UkdUS1FXNUx1eDA/view?pli=1&resourcekey=0-dfQxOnaDrVRoyaZkIYcymg

Edit: Aha!! are these what you were thinking of @Manakin Skywalker?

6M4 The Big Army (Redone)

6M4A The Fight Begins (Option 1)

Option 2

Option 3

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxQSwI5aPja9N2FuT2JIUzNBOTQ